What stone(s) to add?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Gilmartin

Reaction score
I am currently using a shapton pro 1k and 5k. I really like the 1k. The 5k is fine but I'm not married to it. Looking for something prob between the two for progression or toothier finishes. Really curious about the JNS aota synthetics (either the red or blue) but I'd love to know what other people think!

JNS Blue synth aoto is hard and even Maksim says it’s better for razors. I love it for a toothier edge for single bevels. It’s not a friendly stone, but it’s good.

The red is one of my favorites ever as a finisher for gyutos. It’s soft and muddy and you’ll gouge the hell out of it at least once, but it’s more friendly and forgiving than the blue. Works for deba, honesuki, and slicers too, depending on what you do.

Been using Naniwa Choseras for a while now with very good results.....

I Concur with the 3K

JNS Blue synth aoto is hard and even Maksim says it’s better for razors. I love it for a toothier edge for single bevels. It’s not a friendly stone, but it’s good.

The red is one of my favorites ever as a finisher for gyutos. It’s soft and muddy and you’ll gouge the hell out of it at least once, but it’s more friendly and forgiving than the blue. Works for deba, honesuki, and slicers too, depending on what you do.
How is it for putting an edge on? I'd be using it for some w#1 and w#2 wide bezels gyuto and sujis

How is it for putting an edge on? I'd be using it for some w#1 and w#2 wide bezels gyuto and sujis

The red? I really like the edge it leaves on a kochi stainless and a Mazaki gyuto. I like the edge for Sujihiki too, but I cut a lot of raw meat so I found it almost too refined for my tastes. Ditto the Gesshin synth, which feels similarly soft, muddy, and forgiving. It’s a toss up which I prefer; whichever one I’m using, I think.

I like the glass 3k and 4k. the 3k is one of my absolute favorite stones.
I also have the chosera/pro 2k and its finishes at about 3k i'd say. all choseras seems to finish higher than their stated grit so a chosera 3k would probably be close to the shapton 5k you already have imo.

Stay with Shapton Pro, the 2K is a kind of dreamstone.

It is a nice finisher for soft stainless, it will make the jump from 1k to 5k a lot easier and the 2k leaves a nice, toothy edge with a lot of bite.

The 2k is one of the best of the Shapton Pro-Series. Very good feedback, creamy feeling and a joy to use.

If you like the Shapton 1k, you will love the 2k.

Stay with Shapton Pro, the 2K is a kind of dreamstone.

This. For other peoples knives, kitchen "house" knives, I use the Shapton 1K, 2K progression a lot and then I'm done. I've read (and my experience supports this) that the 1K works like a coarser grit than 1K and that the 2K works like a little higher grit.

This. For other peoples knives, kitchen "house" knives, I use the Shapton 1K, 2K progression a lot and then I'm done. I've read (and my experience supports this) that the 1K works like a coarser grit than 1K and that the 2K works like a little higher grit.

totally agree with this assessment

Shapton pro 2000 is nice and will fit nicely with what you already have, it is also quite affordable and good value.

But... Naniwa Professional 3000 (new chosera) is so nice you will forget about the shapton pro 5000 right away

Edit : if all you have is the 1/5k you would probably be better with a coarse stone in the 300 to 500 range.

I see a problem here, if I got OP right.
Shapton Pro 1k is a coarse stone with plenty of edge byte in the end.
Shapton Pro 5k is not overly aggressive, so it can be used to refine that edge to any degree between them.
I don't have them all anymore, but I had them for long term usage. The 2k is the only Pro I still have right now. And I'm not really sure it will add a big improvement in this progression, with the specified scenario. If you get the 2k, for what you want, you won't use the others except for some different specific scenarios.
Another 2k stone, that offers a beautiful toothy edge, is the Naniwa Traditional. Like the Pro 2k, this can be one stone deal. It should be quite cheap, but these days prices are strange.

Gesshin stones are really nice. I haven't used them all, but most.

i also use these in a progression sometimes.
this is the elusive pro 1k-2k combo stone :)

shapton1k2kcombo.JPG

The Naniwa Traditional 2k is supposed to be a smaller and improved version of the Green Brick of Joy.

but that's just what I've heard, no guarantee that it's true.

It's a bit different. Harder for starters. More of a one stone show for most knives and needs. Unfortunately, quite rare. I had it maybe 2 years ago. It was really cheap.

you live in the EU ?!

The Naniwa Traditional 2k is easy to order at "Dictum" or "Fine Tools - Dieter Schmid".

Naniwa Chisera 3k, changed the name to the Naniwa professional. Excellent stones for your wanting.

Back