What's a good vegetable cutter?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnettnce

Reaction score
My mom and grandma expend a good portion of their time making food in the kitchen. An important amount of that time is basically cutting vegetables like Garlic, Onions, Potatoes, Tomatoes, different kinds of meats, the list goes on.

Basically, I wanted to get them a few kinds of common chopping instrument, or at least numerous ones to serve exact purposes. Problem is, I'm not sure what to search for. Any suggestion? Price isn't an enormous factor.

Santoku without a doubt. It is a common knife in Japanese households and is designed to be versatile across both vegetable and meat preparation.

A stainless blade of around 180mm would be suitable for most. There are many to choose from, which I am sure others will suggest.

Look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_kitchen_knife

Specifically look at the section labeled blade grind to see what would work for them. Then come back here and ask your questions or better, fill out the questionnaire; https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-which-knife-should-i-buy-questionnaire-v2.12791/

You see this entire site is about answering your question in general. You have to specify your/ or your mother/grandmothers situation.

BTW, I have given a number of knives as gifts over the years and those, who are not specially trained or particularly adventurous, working in a home kitchen often prefer 160 to 180 santuko. Most prefer stainless. I would add a pairing or petty to round out the functions. And make some arrangement to keep them sharp for them- either you learn or send it to a professional service (we can give you some referrals).

Best of luck!

My mom and grandma expend a good portion of their time making food in the kitchen. An important amount of that time is basically cutting vegetables like Garlic, Onions, Potatoes, Tomatoes, different kinds of meats, the list goes on.

Basically, I wanted to get them a few kinds of common chopping instrument, or at least numerous ones to serve exact purposes. Problem is, I'm not sure what to search for. Any suggestion? Price isn't an enormous factor.

What do you and they currently use for that purpose?

CLEAVER!

If you are cutting a lot of fruit a 210 stainless slicer will do wonders.

Seriously! How can I find it?
Something like this is probably what he has in mind. They have this knife with a metal handle which I would recommend. I have had a larger cleaver from the Wok Shop I think of the same brand and it's still going for over like 20 years. Don't get the wood handle. You could spend a lot more money but I wouldn't until you try this one out. Give them a call to make sure they have the all metal one piece unit. https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/fruit-knife-with-wood-handle/

Last edited:
Back