What's the Size of Your Collection?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just going to count kitchen knives & hobby knives and not duplicates since I have extras of a few
Slicers - 2
Bone Cleaver - 1
Butcher -1
Chef - 3
Santoku - 1
Yanagiba - 3
Deba - 1
Boning/Filleting - 2
Hobby (fixed/folding) - 4

I think it was Dennis Conner who said 'Nothing in moderation'.

I have about a dozen Japanese knives along with assorted other bits and pieces. It's coming time to start weeding out some of them; I've already passed a couple on (or off?) to relations.

Money makes the world go round......or sharp.

Last edited:
Modern:
9 gyuto (4 western 5 Japanese)
1 sujihiki
2 petty
1 sabaki bocho

Vintage:
Bone cleaver
Slicer
Petty

A handful of crappers and about a dozen folders. Oh and 6-7 hunting knives. Almost forgot 6-7 filet knives.

I have downsized to brands, profiles and steels that really resonate with me after being a JKnife knerd for almost 10 years. The ones I have left will likely be permanent fixtures. Gone are the high priced Ashi Honyaki's, Kono FM, a couple of Comets and a JNS Kato Ku. The latter 2 because the high tip on the Comets was not compatible with my body to board position. The 210 WH Kato Ku was released as it overlapped too much with my Morihei 240 Ku and a needed a slightly longer blade in the collection.
As of now I'm all in on TF ==> mostly Denka's and Morihei Hisamoto's (2 gyutos and a nakiri), with a Mab petty to complete the set. I also have a long suffering Nashiji gyuto which is my beater.
I have 3 Kato's, 1 Ku and 2 Migaki (210WH and a 215 Sanyuto)
In total 8 gyuto, a 165 Comet honyaki petty, a TF Mab Ku unhammered petty (leftover from a special commission for a wedding) and a nakiri.

I'm on the hunt for a slicer.

Last edited:
I have downsized to brands, profiles and steels that really resonate with me after being a JKnife knerd for almost 10 years. The ones I have left will likely be permanent fixtures. Gone are the high priced Ashi Honyaki's, Kono FM, a couple of Comets and a JNS Kato Ku. The latter 2 because the high tip on the Comets was not compatible with my body to board position. The 210 WH Kato Ku was released as it overlapped too much with my Morihei 240 Ku and a needed a slightly longer blade in the collection.
As of now I'm all in on TF ==> mostly Denka's and Morihei Hisamoto's (2 gyutos and a nakiri), with a Mab petty to complete the set. I also have a long suffering Nashiji gyuto which is my beater.
I have 3 Kato's, 1 Ku and 2 Migaki (210WH and a 215 Sanyuto)
In total 8 gyuto, a 165 Comet honyaki petty, a TF Mab Ku unhammered petty (leftover from a special commission for a wedding) and a nakiri.

I'm on the hunt for a slicer.
What overlapped for you personally between the Kato Ku WH and Morihei 240?

I have about four ATM with one custom on the way in the near future but likely nothing else for a while.

Current:

Morihei FF yo-240: one of the best value to knife ratios IMO, I don't really think I need to comment on this since there's already a lot on the forum. This is actually my second Morihei FF as I sold my first and picked this one up during Black Friday (sellers remorse).

Milan Totsumen: great cutter in Apex Ultra, it hits the western workhorse ideal for me. (I'm still tempted to pick up a Denka since the ku tsuchime looks great + TF AS but ultimately this knife checks every box for me.)

FM Togo: my favorite steel by far out of any Japanese maker period with Konosuke F&F, enough said.

The9 k-tip petty: the perfect knife for small tasks or meals.

On the way (someday):

A yo-chuka for the heft and rectangle power.
Yamada wrought k-tip custom for the novelty of his crazy wrought and a do it all "high chef"-esque knife.

"Endgame" is subjective (i.e. I do not plan on ever seeking out "art" pieces like Kato Damascus, Ashi Honyaki) but ultimately I think I've carved out a pretty nice niche for myself.

I feel like I've done a nice job hovering around 20-25 knives, but a key part has been immediately getting rid of anything that I wouldn't be willing to keep for 2+ years and/or isn't exactly what I want.

That said, I should probably recount soon as there has been a little bit of creep on the number.

I feel like I've done a nice job hovering around 20-25 knives, but a key part has been immediately getting rid of anything that I wouldn't be willing to keep for 2+ years and/or isn't exactly what I want.

That said, I should probably recount soon as there has been a little bit of creep on the number.
I was trying to apply that logic but failed. My problem is I love comparisons…even if I know I won’t keep something for 2+ year, I want it be to available so I can compare to new knives I get. It is a big problem. That’s why I probably have at least 12 open bottles of whisky at any given time..I drink flights and sometimes I use 3 different knives to cut a single potato…

I've never done a full inventory until this morning....

45 knives in current possession, 8 loaned out to friends, 4 customs incoming, and 28 stones....

as @Tekkz said.. I need to "thin the collection" or get more space...I'm honestly more concerned about the stones... why the fk do i have so many stones.
did you see how many @stringer has?

I think i have 2 or 3 knives all together… :angel:
Come On Reaction GIF

Bragfession time: these are my reactives. I count nineteen. Top three are honyaki: blue 2 unmarked (allegedly Sakai Takayuki,) Y. Ikeda white honyaki sakimaru 360, Takagi.

Westerns are Lundbergs, Birgersson and Doberman Forge (G. Mabry.)

Rest are Japanese san-mai except the Hatsukokoro Shirasagi sakimaru, the Tojiro white usuba and the Yauji yanagiba.

Ignore the blue tape on the Hatsu’s ferrule. I’m most of the way through a blade road cleanup.

IMG_4305.jpeg

Bragfession time: these are my reactives. I count nineteen. Top three are honyaki: blue 2 unmarked (allegedly Sakai Takayuki,) Y. Ikeda white honyaki sakimaru 360, Takagi.

Westerns are Lundbergs, Birgersson and Doberman Forge (G. Mabry.)

Rest are Japanese san-mai except the Hatsukokoro Shirasagi sakimaru, the Tojiro white usuba and the Yauji yanagiba.

Ignore the blue tape on the Hatsu’s ferrule. I’m most of the way through a blade road cleanup.

View attachment 337765
Are all the Sakimarus single bevel?

Back