Whats your most expensive hobby?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Porsche Turbos. Air cooled were the best re increasing value, but very expensive now. Hind sight says I should have kept my 96 but selling seemed a good idea at the time. Still sold it for $10k more than I paid for it and drove it for 7 years

fly fishing,fly tying,so many rods and reels, scuba diving,horses,shooting sports,reloading.Used to be sky diving but quit when my jumping addiction spent my whole pay check on weekends.

Those air cooled turbo Porsche have gone way up in price getting top dollar in auctions.

Those air cooled turbo Porsche have gone way up in price getting top dollar in auctions.

Yeah. Sold my 96 in 2013. Could have sold it for triple what I got for it 2 years later. They have come off in price somewhat in the last year but still very expensive. Funny thing was that I didn’t like it as much as my 03 Turbo and didn’t want to keep both. The 03 is increasing in value now because it has the last of the Mesger engines in it. It’s a fun hobby and certainly qualifies as “ the most expensive hobby I have”

I went through a few expensive hobbies. First started with watches - had Rolex, Hublot, Breitling, Omega, all the big names, then sold it all because I was afraid to wear any of them out in fear of getting them dinged up. Shortly after came photography, started on Fujifilm XT1, went through 4 or 5 lenses, upgraded to Leica lenses, new Fuji XT2, etc. Still do that but cut down to two lenses (but struggling to stay at two). Also suits, started around 2014 and in three years built a wardrobe of about ten Tom Ford suits. Now cars. Bought a 6.2L C63 a few years back and love it. Back then was deciding between C63 or 991.2 911. Decided against the Porsche because I wanted a fun, dramatic car, not a fast car. Looked to get a G63 earlier this year, decided against that eventually because that car is silly. It's fun and cool, but silly.

Last edited:
Reading this thread always makes me want to start another one entitled, "What your job and how do you afford your expensive hobbies?"

Asking for a friend.....

:D a lot of things if you don't buy brand new you can sell without a loss, or sometimes even at a profit. So it's not really spending money, just having money held up in different forms. Not very different from having a mortgage on a home.

:D a lot of things if you don't buy brand new you can sell without a loss, or sometimes even at a profit. So it's not really spending money, just having money held up in different forms. Not very different from having a mortgage on a home.
So true. This has been a great thread. I have so many interests in common. Mainly the shooting, watches, fishing and guitars these days. The Porches have always been a dream and I knew those 96s would skyrocket.
For years now, I've always bought the best I can afford and looked after it well, because it is my only chance of retaining or increasing my money when it comes to sale time. I love collecting but I hate losing money. It's kinda paradoxical but you can do a lot better by paying for quality things that will look after you at sale time and that you get to enjoy.
But you gotta look after that stuff and luckily, I enjoy doing all that too and so groups of specific tools are
another addiction/collection.

Last edited:
Firearms, long range rifle shooting and reloading mostly. Knives (kitchen and pocket, hunting) Telescopes and astro stuff, photography, scuba diving.. Yup I am ALWAYS broke, but enjoy life :)

Yeah. Sold my 96 in 2013. Could have sold it for triple what I got for it 2 years later. They have come off in price somewhat in the last year but still very expensive. Funny thing was that I didn’t like it as much as my 03 Turbo and didn’t want to keep both. The 03 is increasing in value now because it has the last of the Mesger engines in it. It’s a fun hobby and certainly qualifies as “ the most expensive hobby I have”
A bit jealous. My '95 993 was my daily driver until a few months ago, when I purchased a new Forester -- which I believe has the best AWD available -- so I wouldn't have to continue to marginally get by on my snow tires. But it's clear I have never maintained my car as well as you did yours. Between track use (those days are over) and failure to regularly wash (especially corrosive brake dust from my track pads), it's really overdue for a repainting, etc. Or maybe replacement by something like a Cayman GT4, which I've read such good things about.

A bit jealous. My '95 993 was my daily driver until a few months ago, when I purchased a new Forester -- which I believe has the best AWD available -- so I wouldn't have to continue to marginally get by on my snow tires. But it's clear I have never maintained my car as well as you did yours. Between track use (those days are over) and failure to regularly wash (especially corrosive brake dust from my track pads), it's really overdue for a repainting, etc. Or maybe replacement by something like a Cayman GT4, which I've read such good things about.

Wrong. My C63 has the best AWD possible, when it's being towed out of 0.1mm of snow.

Larry, the 993 value has been steadily marching upward. Unless you are going to keep it a long time do not bother with a repaint; leave that for the next owner. A good/ proper repaint will run about $15k these days (glass out, replace seals, etc.). Chances are you would net more selling a little below market due to the paint condition. Also, for a few hundred $ you can get a detailer to work a little magic to make the car show better.

Cayman GT4?!? If you do that, you need to unretire from the track -- it is not fair for those cars to only see street duty :D

This week it has been boots. Ordered two pairs. Alfred Sargent Cambridge boot in navy and a Crockett & Jones Coniston in roughout leather.

9d323af425d8d38485ba.png

3642835f6f923c8fb1d0.png

This week it has been boots. Ordered two pairs. Alfred Sargent Cambridge boot in navy and a Crockett & Jones Coniston in roughout leather.

9d323af425d8d38485ba.png

3642835f6f923c8fb1d0.png

Nice! Love the pebble grain leather. My feet are sadly too short to look good in these boots.

I have a few pairs of C&J in my collection, very good quality for the price.

Envy you. Had a 95 993 c2. Sold it to buy the 96 Turbo Loved that C2. As mentioned earlier, they’re going up in value too. Would not paint it. Original paint adds value.

Fly fishing. 9 different rods and reels(orvis, scott, ross, echo, headwaters bamboo). Extra spools, fly lines, waders(simms). Fishing pack full of gear. Fly tying desk full of feathers and fur. All adds up to a lot more than I want my wife to know. And I don't even have a boat....yet.
I have a new perspective on fly fishing...I did a fully guided 5 day float trip on the Smith River in MT this past September. I showed up with my boots and waders (and clothes obviously). It was a phenomenal trip and worth every penny. Those people worked their asses off. I’m still in awe of that experience, it was pure luxury.
You should do it at least once.

Edward Green shoes are amazing, but I'm not convinced that their RTW is worth the price increase from C&J.

Edward Green shoes are amazing, but I'm not convinced that their RTW is worth the price increase from C&J.

Only some models are worth it imo: Galway, Dover and their fabulous chukka, and certain last fit me much better than C&J - this last point is main reason, also bought about 5 years ago before they cross their current stratospheric $

If the fit/last shape is the deciding factor, then of course it makes sense to go with what suits you best. But yes, their current RTW prices are very very high.

Have u tried Edward Green? - another money pit but oh so “worth it”, weakness

Yes have a few EG as well, some of my favorites... But Stefano Bemer and Gaziano & Girling are my current favorites.

For boots I'd add Viberg. More my current style because my suit days are mostly behind me. (Haven't had an office job for the past 6yrs)

Suits are mostly Isaia, Belvest, and Canali (for when I need a more conservative cut)

Last edited:
Yes have a few EG as well, some of my favorites... But Stefano Bemer and Gaziano & Girling are my current favorites.

For boots I'd add Viberg. More my current style because my suit days are mostly behind me. (Haven't had an office job for the past 6yrs)

Suits are mostly Isaia, Belvest, and Canali (for when I need a more conservative cut)

Just want to say that White's boots are better than Viberg in its current state and also cost less. I recommend checking them out.

Back