Whats your most expensive hobby?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My shoe addiction is not helped by the fact that there is a 30-50% sale on John Lobb, Edward Green and J.M. Weston on Mr. Porter right now. Already snagged a pair of brown chelsea boots and blue suede loafers both from Weston, so I should be satisfied, but for some reason, I just want more.

The power of sales it too strong.

1482754225587[1].jpg

Through US site or U.K.? Big fan of EG

there is no effen way i would ever have a shoe collection..i'm trying to minimize the BS in my life..only a few great items and call it good.

my wife was hoping i would drop hunting (bow and rifle) and take up fishing full time. then i told her about the truck the bassboat, the kayaks, the canoes, fly rods,, spinning rods, bait casting rods,, etc. she got the picture.

Nice shoes might be BS to you, but I see them very much like knives. Get some good ones, treat the well, and you will still be using them in 30 years.

you dont think they go out of style? and i love great shoes as much as the next guy...i rely on my hunting boots since they could save my life.

but i wont collect them..i dont collect anything. and please, nobody try to read into my post..i dont knock your collection..just saying i dont collect, it would drive me insane. i'm just talking about the only person i know intimately..ME

Chelsea boots, loafers, oxfords, etc. have been made pretty much the same way in terms of design and construction for many decades. So I'm not really worried.

It's a different issue with sneakers, where fashion changes daily.

If you have no reason to be into shoes i.e. you don't work in an industry that demands them, there is no reason to be interested. I think it's "insane" to buy all that hunting and fishing gear. How much do you "need"? To each his own.

To each their own... I can understand almost any.

My most expensive is probably wine, still not crazy but it outstrips my knife spending. I don't collect per se but I buy for several years to a decade or two in the future.

Definitely racing bicycles. At least motor sport racing makes it look cheap?

My most expensive hobby? Racing F1 cars. Oh wait, that's the Prince of Monaco. For me I guess it would be collecting vintage dental floss.

Woodworking - Machine tools include; 10" Powermatic table Saw, 8" Poitras Long Bed Jointer, 20" Powermatic Band Saw, Delta Shaper, Drill Press, and an Oneida Air Systems V-3000 Dust Control System (all in my former garage for the past 35 years). Hand tools are too numerous to list but, they have included from Japan Woodworker sets of Japanese chisels, hand planes, etc. Over the past 15 years my shop has been outfitted with Festool and Mafell Power Tools all connected to the Festool HEPA Dust Extractor. I still have about 2000 BF of hardwoods including exotics like Brazilian Rosewood.

Woodworking - Machine tools include; 10" Powermatic table Saw, 8" Poitras Long Bed Jointer, 20" Powermatic Band Saw, Delta Shaper, Drill Press, and an Oneida Air Systems V-3000 Dust Control System (all in my former garage for the past 35 years). Hand tools are too numerous to list but, they have included from Japan Woodworker sets of Japanese chisels, hand planes, etc. Over the past 15 years my shop has been outfitted with Festool and Mafell Power Tools all connected to the Festool HEPA Dust Extractor. I still have about 2000 BF of hardwoods including exotics like Brazilian Rosewood.

Bet there's some nice handle material among your stash

Wow! We need some pictures!

I just keep piling the cash spent on knifemaking. I have just ordered a proper tool workshop tool trolley (OK, 'just' for 280€, but you get the idea) and I am building a work bench for the 2x72" grinder that only on materials cost 150€). And the list goes on :)

Does Staying Alive count? LOL 4 years down and un employable, no disability, 17 prescriptions, yada yada yada...

Photography is a close second and I would love to get on a bicycle again... but I physically can't deal with 2 wheels anymore :( I'm looking into an electric assist tricycle from Raleigh (http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/recreation/tricycles/tristar-ie) but without $$ it's been a long path. Getting the VA to fund it has been a job in futility, they don't say no, they just send you round and round till you quite asking.

As for Photography I have been funding it with my student aid checks... I am getting a degree in photography so I can't say I've been mis-spending my aid money :p But that will soon run out as I'm almost done with the degree and the available classes I can squeeze out of them. A benefit of my time in service, City College is basically paid for :)

Motorcycle track days.. one day out there costs me $500 total... One set of tires last me 2-3days (Almost $500) with all those aftermarket parts...if I crash, it will cost me at least 2-3 honyaki blades..I try not to go often, but really hard to resist when weather is perfect.

The wines I've got stored to drink with my daughters when they are of drinking age in 16 years time. Any other suggestions of interesting cellar worthy wines would be welcome

If you like ports, stanton and killeen vintage fortified are stunning and will cellar for 20+ years. Plus bottles are available from back vintages so you can get them to align with birth years.

If you like big strong reds (Aus style) Durifs from the same region, Rutherglen, are stunning. Personal favourite us Warrabilla and typically they have decent cellar potentional, as does their shiraz.

If you like ports, stanton and killeen vintage fortified are stunning and will cellar for 20+ years. Plus bottles are available from back vintages so you can get them to align with birth years.

If you like big strong reds (Aus style) Durifs from the same region, Rutherglen, are stunning. Personal favourite us Warrabilla and typically they have decent cellar potentional, as does their shiraz.

+1 on the S&K vintage port.

IMO, rutherhlen durifs are usually very fruit driven, with long, silken tannins and often cellar well for decades. The Morris durifs are exceptionally long lived despite definitely not being the most heavily fruit-laden or having the highest alcohol content (IMO, those accolades go to Warrabilla Perolas Reserve and Buller Calliope, both of which are also exceptional IMO, if almost too much in their youth). The S&K durif is also very handy.

@malexthekid @nemo

This was EXACTLY what I was looking for, particularly Aussie suggestions so you've knocked it out the park. Those durifs sound awesome as I've had and enjoyed the American incarnation of petite sirah.
And I do like port and other stickies, so top suggestion

Mucho, I most certainly will, thank you.

@malexthekid @nemo

This was EXACTLY what I was looking for, particularly Aussie suggestions so you've knocked it out the park. Those durifs sound awesome as I've had and enjoyed the American incarnation of petite sirah.
And I do like port and other stickies, so top suggestion

Mucho, I most certainly will, thank you.

If you like perite sirah, Bailey's of Glenrowan make a stunning one. The Durifs from Rutherglen range from similar at the lower alcohol content to just straight up delicioyy brutal at the warrabilla end. And I will second Nemo, if you go Warrabilla, they definitely need a couple of years.

As for stickies, heaps of options here, I imagine NZ must have some nice iced stickies.... As for fortified, my personal opinion is look for Rutherglen in Aus, stunning Muscats, Topaques and tawny's/vintage.

Let us know what you get.

My first kid is on the way, I already know I will get an extra half dozen of the S&K Vintage Port that year, and am starting to research on wines with long cellaring potential apart from the usual crazy expensive penfolds grange or henscke hill of grace.

Knives, sharpening stone, cook book and dining out for now. I used to buy clothes but not anymore, stuck at small island can't go shopping.

If you like perite sirah, Bailey's of Glenrowan make a stunning one. The Durifs from Rutherglen range from similar at the lower alcohol content to just straight up delicioyy brutal at the warrabilla end. And I will second Nemo, if you go Warrabilla, they definitely need a couple of years.

As for stickies, heaps of options here, I imagine NZ must have some nice iced stickies.... As for fortified, my personal opinion is look for Rutherglen in Aus, stunning Muscats, Topaques and tawny's/vintage.

Let us know what you get.

My first kid is on the way, I already know I will get an extra half dozen of the S&K Vintage Port that year, and am starting to research on wines with long cellaring potential apart from the usual crazy expensive penfolds grange or henscke hill of grace.

Careful of the alcohol content in some of those Durifs! The Warrabilla Perola's is often 18% (not fortified) but holds it very well and you don't realise how much you've consumed.

A serious wine nut should try one of the older blends (often called 'museum' or 'rare') Rutherglen Muscats and Tokays. They aren't cheap (upwards of 400 AUD for half bottle last I checked) but have an incredible layering of complex flavours. The younger, cheaper blends are also very nice, but with fresher fruity flavours. The intermediate blends are still complex and a little more approachable and pretty good value for money. These wines are not for cellaring, though.

gunshop just called. i'm having a rifle scope installed professionally. i am gonna add rifles back into my hunting rotation. my shoulders cant take full time archery anymore. :(

Went from Rifles to hunting handguns years... ok a couple decades ago... and still have not gone back. Couple new ones I'd love to add to the group but they will have to wait till life is good again.

Mmm vintage port. Now I want some...

Back