Whats your most expensive hobby?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, this topic is painful to think about..

Lars

Hmm, most expensive hobby. Built this for myself:

computer_zpsjup7c1e0.jpg

Man, I need to update my rig soon. My GTX 590 is getting dusty.

Also need to add some hard drives but I am out of available sata ports. Never would have thought that 10TB would fill up so fast.

Man, I need to update my rig soon. My GTX 590 is getting dusty.

Also need to add some hard drives but I am out of available sata ports. Never would have thought that 10TB would fill up so fast.

Video collector eh? You can probably find a decent external raid if you really want to pile on the storage space. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Just be sure to use something like Raid 5 so that you have some redundancy and can replace drives as they inevitably fail.

I'm liking this 1070 gfx card a lot. Can play most modern games on ultra settings and still pull in at least 60 fps. (Often much higher.) I imagine the prices will only drop moving forward, but they also have the 1060 line for a more affordable option or 1080 or titan x if you wanna go nuts.

Video collector eh? You can probably find a decent external raid if you really want to pile on the storage space. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Just be sure to use something like Raid 5 so that you have some redundancy and can replace drives as they inevitably fail.

I'm liking this 1070 gfx card a lot. Can play most modern games on ultra settings and still pull in at least 60 fps. (Often much higher.) I imagine the prices will only drop moving forward, but they also have the 1060 line for a more affordable option or 1080 or titan x if you wanna go nuts.

Yeah the raid thing is what is getting me a little nervous right now. Currently, the two drives with the bulk of my data are set up in Raid 0, and they are both around 5-6 years old now. If one dies, everything on them is gone. Need to do something about it.

My current setup is I am running three BenQ XL2420t's out of my GTX 590, but the internal SLI bridge has gone busted it seems. I mainly play CSGO, but I still want at least 200FPS for the super fluid movement, so upon upgrade I'm probably just gonna go ham and get a 1080 and call it a day. Only game I've played so far that had made me want to upgrade is the new DOOM, but to me it has limited replayability. Still running a liquid-cooled overlocked 3770k at 4.5ghz, and I don't see a reason to upgrade CPU yet. Probably just gonna get a new G-Card and some backup drives. My wallet is wailing.

Yeah the raid thing is what is getting me a little nervous right now. Currently, the two drives with the bulk of my data are set up in Raid 0, and they are both around 5-6 years old now. If one dies, everything on them is gone. Need to do something about it.

Yeah this is not an if, but a when. I'd strongly advise against keeping single-copy valuable data on a RAID 0. It's a recipe for heart break.

RAID 5 gives a pretty good trade-off of speed and reliability without losing TOO much drive space to redundancy in my experience.

My current setup is I am running three BenQ XL2420t's out of my GTX 590, but the internal SLI bridge has gone busted it seems. I mainly play CSGO, but I still want at least 200FPS for the super fluid movement, so upon upgrade I'm probably just gonna go ham and get a 1080 and call it a day. Only game I've played so far that had made me want to upgrade is the new DOOM, but to me it has limited replayability. Still running a liquid-cooled overlocked 3770k at 4.5ghz, and I don't see a reason to upgrade CPU yet. Probably just gonna get a new G-Card and some backup drives. My wallet is wailing.

I hear ya. Cost certainly adds up, and gotta leave some $ for new knives! :knife:

RC helicopters. it was expensive to buy them and fly them when you crashed all the time. If I did not have to spend money on repairs each week i spent it on bling. but for awhile it would make my legs week with the thrill of it till I crashed (G)

(Snort) Do we even need to ask? Before knives and stones I was into drawing freehand (still do). A good graphite pencil is about $1.80. That's one dollar and eight cents. A complete range about $50. Indulging myself in a mega set of quality water color pencils set me back a whopping $200 or so.

Which was probably not a bad thing...I got to save a lot of my pin money and can splurge a bit now.

Dangit, now I'm getting computer envy again. Probably spent enough on knives and stones (got hit with naturals frenzy) this year to pay for an excellent rig too...

Dangit, now I'm getting computer envy again. Probably spent enough on knives and stones (got hit with naturals frenzy) this year to pay for an excellent rig too...

Doh! Sorry. Forgot to post the trigger warning. :wink:

('Course I was under the impression we'd all gathered here to be enablers anyway hehe.)

For me the never ending investments in the knifemaking had made it my most expensive hobby over the course of 10 months. Tools, handle material, tools, steel and some more tools.

God dammit guys...
After reading this thread I've found myself with an inexplicable urge to spend money on stuff I've never cared about before now.

xDSolNh.gif

Hnnnngggggg.....

God dammit guys...
After reading this thread I've found myself with an inexplicable urge to spend money on stuff I've never cared about before now.

Retail therapy FTW! :spin chair:

Only read this thread recently but really liked mr drinky's post #65 where he commented on the nature of the thread itself - was it therapeutic, depressing, a warning or offering social insights? I find myself questioning my passions/excesses/obsessions while reading, reflecting and now adding to it.

My most expensive hobbies other than knives? I'm not going to include dining out, wine or malt whisky but if I added up what I'd spent over the years I'd probably have enough for another house - add smoking and it would be two houses! So in rough chronological order are the serial obsessions/passions I've had, and in most cases still have: photography (35mm then digital), comics, audio equipment, music, magazines, films, books, computers & software, digital cameras.

However, the last seven months of chasing sharp things has probably cost me more than I care to admit. I'm about to create a spreadsheet but not sure if I want to see the totals.
:scared4:

i've been going back and forth between CIEMs and photography stuff... right now, lighting setups are turning into a rather expensive hobby :(

Wait... does my kid count as a hobby, cause that one really breaks the bank :sofa:

Wait... does my kid count as a hobby, cause that one really breaks the bank :sofa:

Just make sure they never get in to horse riding....

Don't ask me how I know.

On the up side, it does make my kitchen knife and even my cycling habits seem rather modest in comparison.

Cycling, where you can easily buy a three hundred dollar (or more) shirt that is not appropriate for formal occasions... :O

British hi-fi
German cameras
German cars
Japanese knives and stones
2 year old twins (it's a lifestyle choice without the choice part)
Take your pick ;)

IMO ya can't take it with you anyway. Sure we get obsessive sometimes, and if we get caught up in it to the point that we believe our own BS it can get harmful, but assuming a bit of moderation there are certainly worse things we could do with our time and money trying to make sense of or distract ourselves from the senselessness of...well lots of things.

In its best light, obsession is often the mother of art and invention. In its worst, we can hope it at least keeps us off the streets.

:dontknow:

My shoe addiction is not helped by the fact that there is a 30-50% sale on John Lobb, Edward Green and J.M. Weston on Mr. Porter right now. Already snagged a pair of brown chelsea boots and blue suede loafers both from Weston, so I should be satisfied, but for some reason, I just want more.

The power of sales it too strong.

1482754225587[1].jpg

Back