What's your most TEDIOUS prep?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a stage a few weeks ago, they made me peel and than fine brunoise (1mm x 1mm) 500 grm of garlic, I have never in my life hated a job so much, I don't know how long it took me(it was awhile) but they offered me a job and I kindly refused lol. :knife: no man should have to do that.

Did a stage a few weeks ago, they made me peel and than fine brunoise (1mm x 1mm) 500 grm of garlic, I have never in my life hated a job so much, I don't know how long it took me(it was awhile) but they offered me a job and I kindly refused lol. :knife: no man should have to do that.

Sounds stinky

Interesting. What knife did you go with for that task? I just rock chop the crap outta garlic until minced.

Interesting. What knife did you go with for that task? I just rock chop the crap outta garlic until minced.

no rock chopping, the brunoise had to be perfect(near perfect), apparently the texture mattered, no idea what they used if for, any semi-reasonable company that needed that amount would normally just buy pre-minced in a bottle(sysco sells 5kg 11 lbs for like $38cad pre minced) I ended up using a 150mm takamura uchigumo petty, I don't honestly think I could do the volume they wanted with a full size gyuto and maintain consistency of cuts. Looking back the only logical conclusion was they were testing me, but it was such a horrid task, peeling and brunoising all the garlic most likely took close to an hour, if not an hour(say 150ish cloves, peeled and bruunoised), that come the end of it, I didn't want to work there anymore.

no rock chopping, the brunoise had to be perfect(near perfect), apparently the texture mattered, no idea what they used if for, any semi-reasonable company that needed that amount would normally just buy pre-minced in a bottle(sysco sells 5kg 11 lbs for like $38cad pre minced) I ended up using a 150mm takamura uchigumo petty, I don't honestly think I could do the volume they wanted with a full size gyuto and maintain consistency of cuts. Looking back the only logical conclusion was they were testing me, but it was such a horrid task, peeling and brunoising all the garlic most likely took close to an hour, if not an hour(say 150ish cloves, peeled and bruunoised), that come the end of it, I didn't want to work there anymore.

Unfortunately I have been in a similar situation and it was the damn stickiness that was mind-numbing. A touch of water now and again did help, but god save you if you have to do this with any regularity. DAAAAAmmmmnnnn. Glad you didn't take the gig.

Past lengthy prep includes Jerusalem artichokes, round croutons, tomato string.

@Godslayer at least I don't feel quite as inept cursing how much work mortar curry paste prep (for home cooking use - still, a head of garlic goes in usually, and saving knife work is paid in more bashing work :) ) is ...

Was this for a lot of dipping sauce for asian dumplings? Only application that comes to my mind for 1mm brunoised garlic in large amounts...

Hmm, currently a cured piranha tartar over a fried sweet potato bun.

Getting piranha, fileting, removing skin, cutting the skin into small rectangles, making a rice paste and spreading over silpats and then putting on the skin. Dehydrating the skin, taking out and letting sit to rehydrate.. Frying each individual strip..

Cure piranha filets, cut to perfect cubes without any spines.

60 per service.

@Godslayer at least I don't feel quite as inept cursing how much work mortar curry paste prep (for home cooking use - still, a head of garlic goes in usually, and saving knife work is paid in more bashing work :) ) is ...

Was this for a lot of dipping sauce for asian dumplings? Only application that comes to my mind for 1mm brunoised garlic in large amounts...

Was at an italian restaurant used as garnish for various dishes/dressings

new most tedious prep is cleaning bone marrow, new restaurant uses 60-80 a day and it's a pain lol

Was at an italian restaurant used as garnish for various dishes/dressings

new most tedious prep is cleaning bone marrow, new restaurant uses 60-80 a day and it's a pain lol

were are you at now Evan?

Hmm, currently a cured piranha tartar over a fried sweet potato bun.

Getting piranha, fileting, removing skin, cutting the skin into small rectangles, making a rice paste and spreading over silpats and then putting on the skin. Dehydrating the skin, taking out and letting sit to rehydrate.. Frying each individual strip..

Cure piranha filets, cut to perfect cubes without any spines.

60 per service.
Piranha? As in the carnivorous Amazonian fish? That's crazy. I have two of them at home and they don't look like they'd be easy to clean.

Are they farmed or wild? I woulda thought a freshwater scavenger/predator like that would be a parasitic risk.

Back