Whetstones vs Powdered High Speed Whetstones, and Whestones missing link Advices

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supersayan3

Reaction score
For years I had a double 1000-4000 grit whetstone fro JCK.
That, a Global stone, which one chef had(I think around 1000grit) and a double chinese stone, very coarse at one side(240?-400?) and around 1000grit slurry on the other side that we have at the restaurant, were my only experiences with stones.

This year I bought one more double stone from JCK, 6000-10000 grit, together with some knives, since I live in Europe, and paid just 7USD for shipping. I was tempted to buy a Snow White, or Kitayama, but eventually I chose that one.

These stones are all my experiences with whetstones.

I am satisfied with the stones that I have, including the 4000 and up, all give mirror polish, and as I have seen described on videos, all leave quickly grey lines, whichg mean they cut quick. They have nice feedback all of them, including the chinese stone.

On the contrary to what most say, that after a grit you dont see difference, I see that the more I go higher in grits, the better the performance.

In my kitchen I use mostly Masahiro, carbon and stainless and Hiromoto AS.

Problem is, I cant make them as sharp as the Blazens(which reports inside the box, that it had been sharpened over 12000grit), or the Ryusen Tsuchime out of the box.
I dont need that much, but it feels frustrating that I cannot achieve it.

Then I read about the strops.
I didnt want to invest a lot to an uknown field, so I played cheap and expiremental, with some balsa wood and some very cheap diamond pastes (from 5 to 1/4 micron) from Australia. For sure Chinese, not the best quality

They have effect, but for sure it is much better to have these grits in a stone, though it is extremely expensive to do so.

Had I had the money to spend, I would had bought all the Shapton Glassstones, up to 30000grit, and the diamond to flatten them, but this is not an option for me.(I prefer to put some exrta and get a restaurant :) )

Now, the question is, what I miss and I cant achieve that result?

I also have to report that I do not debur, but only on the last stage.
This is something I read in a King stones brochure, that as you go up on the stones, the burr becomes thinner, and you deburr only on the final stage, I think it is working.

My consumer mania, pushed me to buy a Snow White, a Kitayama(about kitayama I wasnt sure, since everybody describes its finish as hazy, while my stones give clear shinny), a Naniwa 20000grit(which Naniwa recommends for razors, not knives)...Then I thought that my problem (appart from my technique), might not be the finishing stone, but the starting stone(though I dont let my knives become very dull)...or a missing link somewhere in the middle..

So, advice that I need: What is wrong and I can do my knives very sharp, but not as sharp as both Ryusens?(vg-10 and especially sg-2?)

Second thing I need help and informations is the stones which are manufactured for powdered steels.
I want to start using professionally my Blazens, but still I am not confident how to handle their sharpening.
I saw in the Japanese Ryusen Blazen page, that Blazen whetstones are available, but nowhere else.

I also saw one more stone, Higasiyama Brand, which has two different 1000grit models, one of them is for powdered metals.

Does anybody has experience with these kind of stones?

Thank you all in advance!

Try some newspaper on a flat diamond plate or wrapped around a stone for a strop. Also, are your stones flat? I would also try deburring after each stone and sharpen slowly and make sure that you're keeping a consistent angle.

Thank you for the reply!

My stones are flat, I mark them with pencil, and flatten them on sandpapper.
In the beginning of the 1000-4000 stones, I do the first set with stronger pressure and speed, and at the next sets, slower and with less and less finger pressure over the edge.

As about the angle, I try to keep my right shoulder 'dead and down' so it will not affect the angle. Of course I am no robot, a slight declination might happen on the move.

Newspapper on a flat diamond plate? What do you mean by that please?

Sort of like this
0612021232b.jpg

10000 thanks for your effort and your pic!!!

I will give it a try!

Do you exercise pressure there?

When I strop, I just use the weight of the knife; I put my fingers on the blade for guiding purposes. I'm sure some other people can chime in too.

Also, use edge trailing strokes.

Back