Which 6k-12k honing stone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihai

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for a honing stone and I need your help - mainly I am thinking around 8000, but I am open to suggestions for between 6000-120000.
Important to me are, in order, keenness, maintenance, speed.
Money, as always are an issue, my budget is limited to US$160 EUR150 GBP110
To be honest, mainly I am leaning to towards one of these (in order):

Sigma Power Ceramic 8000 (or 10k, which has the advantage of a huge sharpening surface - 140mm wide)
MST Müller
Imperia La Roccia
Suehiro Gokumyo 10000
Arkansas Translucent

I am happily using for sharpening a 1000-2000-4000 sequence of Suzuki-Ya stones described here https://fabulalignarius.wordpress.com/tag/pm-v11-test/ which replaced a combination of Naniwa Chosera (sorry - too expensive their 10k) and Shapton Pro (which I MIGHT consider for their 8k or 12k).

Thank you for your help.

Perhaps you still may find a Naniwa Junpaku 8k, AKA Snow-white. Hard, fast, unexpensive. Leaves a lot of bite.

The translucent Ark is very fine and very slow cutting, and really only suitable for softer steels. One side of my Ark has been scratched with a diamond file, it leaves a finish in the 10K+ range, and I can easily jump to it from a 6K stone. The smooth side is just impossibly slow, and I'm guessing the finish in the 20K range. I have heard some argue that the translucent Arc is a superior finisher for razors, but that is not what you are sharpening here. In other words, forget the Ark.

Rick

The recommendations are leaning towards

1. Naniwa Snow White 8000
2. Naniwa SuperStone 8000
3. Arkansas Translucent
4. Yellow Coticule
5. Suehiro Gokumyo 10000

Naniwa Snow White - I am, just a little bit, doubtful about his one - I hope is different than Chosera - which I just sold - or the Superstone. Chosera & Superstone, in my setup, was slower than Sigma Power (and than Shapton Pro for harder steels only). As for wear - Chosera AND Superstone both worn more than Sigma and Shapton Pro. Performance - No complains here - both Chosera & Superstone were able to produce the keenest and smoothest edge than any other stone I ever tried.

So my basic question is - is there a stone that performs as wonderful as Chosera/SuperStone but is quicker and less dishing prone (more stable, harder)? I was hoping Suehiro Gokumyo 10000 will be the one, but, for whatever reason, there are not too many people knowing it.

Won't need anything for your knives above 6k, May want to check in at the razor forums to see what preference people have in synthetics...I may suggest touching base with Maxim and maybe look at an inexpensive J-nat (they do exist).

Back