Which hard plastic tray (for sharpening) - in EU

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to locate a large hard plastic tray that I would like to put a stone-bridge on top of (like Jon or Maksim are using in their videos). I just can not find one online on in retail. I am sure they are out there, but I guess I do not know the proper name (in German) for it. The common stuff that is available is too soft.

I would appreciate any kind of help or info.

thanks in advance.

I think it's a polycarbonate cold food pan. I only saw them in the deepest size and in packs of six on UK amazon, but here is a link for US amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00030L5NI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. If there's a restaurant supply place near you they should have those and others that would work.

Sorry, don't know what it would be in German.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it will make a good set up. Wish I had room for it- small apartment kitchen. Enjoy !

I have a similar setup and love it. One tip is to see what kind of lids are available. I bought Cambro brand from a restaurant supply shop and there were the standard rigid polycarbonate and softer plastic lids. The plastic type seals much better and won't leak if the water sloshes around during transport.

@Matus

What stone bridge do you have? I haven't found any in Europe

@Matus

What stone bridge do you have? I haven't found any in Europe

I have ordered one from Jon which should arrive within next few days (together with some more stuff :) ). Yes - there is a stone bridge to be found in Europe - from http://fine-tools.com/ from Naniwa called 'sink bridge'. I actually bought it in the past and returned it the next day. I just found it to be too badly designed for the money. Had I not bought the one from Jon, I would have just made a simple one from piece of wood instead. If such a solution is good enough for Murray Carter, then it would be good enough for me ;)

If memory serves the full size is 18 x 12 inches and is available in 2, 6 and 9 inches depth. I like the 6 inch with a little more water in it for added stability. If I'm taking "stuff" to a friends to sharpen I'll take a 2 inch. The pans are handy to have around.

Back