Which shapton for thinning?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Atome 140 when necessary (pretty much never on a knife) and follow by Bester 220. The Atome is super fast, but in particular on sami mai knives it can wreak havoc on the soft cladding (on some of them). So I was warned.

Mono steel monsters from ebay often require a trip to a plate if not a belt grinder, sadly. Bleh...yuck! It is what it is though. No more project knives for me.

Mono steel monsters from ebay often require a trip to a plate if not a belt grinder, sadly. Bleh...yuck! It is what it is though. No more project knives for me.

I can not help but think that if a new knife needs to be taken to a Atoma or belt grinder, than it is not a knife, but a hardened knife blank.

so i took the plunge and picked up a SG220. i like how it feels much more than any other coarse stone i've used, but it lacks speed and dishes a bit more than i expected. used on 3 knives, i've already put a concave dip in the stone i'm guessing like 1.5mm worth biased more on one side.. i imagine i'm going to wear through this stone within a year. afterwords i'll be sticking with cerax 320 unless i find something else to try.

20180129_165410_zpstbvubxve.jpg

The 220 Naniwa grey color is the roughest stone that I have, Been using it for years...

Fast cutter, leaves a thick layer of slurry that needs to be flushed from time to time or add water. It does its job with an aggresive grinding sound.... loud too... As a lot if steel is being removed, inevitably the stone does wear out and its important to rotate the stone ... front to back and vice versa and use every part of the stone.. Slight dishing here and there is not too relevant as its not the steel at the edge thats being removed... The 4 corners, the sides at the top of stones are all used depending where i want to abrade..

No complaints.. gets the job done fast enough for me and not too expensive .. Stones for me below 1000 grit must be fast cutters a cheap!!!

Have fun..Z

I would much much MUCH rather get a knives and stones sandpaper holder than a "really" rough stone imo. however its not an issue since I have both and atome 400 and a dmt 325. and there is simply no need for anything else. Unless i wanted to piss away some money that is. for no good reason.

Back