• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bought Wide bevel for sharpening/polishing practice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally purchased my first jnat and would like something with a wide bevel for practice. Any size or shape as long as it'll allow me to practice polishing and kasumi finishes. The cheaper the better. Don't be afraid to message me about what you might think is a completely trash knife. I may just buy it!
Thanks

If you want a nice knife for this if I have a 240 kagekiyo in b#1. It experienced a decent chip I sharpened out. So if you want it’s not bnib so don’t have to worry about that and not a garbage knife but at the same time it’s not going to come at trash knife prices.

If you want a nice knife for this if I have a 240 kagekiyo in b#1. It experienced a decent chip I sharpened out. So if you want it’s not bnib so don’t have to worry about that and not a garbage knife but at the same time it’s not going to come at trash knife prices.

I appreciate it, but those might just join the rotation rather than be a designated sharpening/polishing practice knife.

The tanuki series at jns looks like it would be nice.
https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/tanuki/Or munetoshi petty also from jns. It's also a convenient nice knife to have around, so you aren't spending money on something solely for the purpose of polishing and nothing else.

I would highly recommend against tf if starting to polish. Something about their steel makes it very slow to polish for me. Maybe it's related to hardness, but typically stainless cladding is soft. Dunno... as much as I love TF, they're a b**** to make pretty sometimes.

Fun to thin and polish OOTB:

Ittetsu KU;
Matsubara;
Wakui (W#2 Nashiji line if you actually want something significant needed to be done at all keeping cheap);
TF - indeed impossibly irritating price to pay for a project yet always worth it in satisfaction and resell value - best TF direct/near TF direct rebate from vendor;
Misono OR Masahiro OR other well known factory knives that tend to present anything asymmetrical that makes sense to you;
Any Hitohira Futana lines;
Generally Sanjo/Sakai cheap as it'll please you wide bevel-ish grinds for easier work;
Some other alternatives: Moritaka, Kajibee (however they'll spell it), Mazaki W#2 and I'm forgetting/omitting knifes making less sense to it still but the thrill;
Anything Calling your Duty whatever the inhibitions of the "vox populis" about it is generally tenfolds rewarding.

I did just get a denka that needs work...but I was hoping to have more practice before attempting a fujiwara fix
This process is such a pain in the dick, you might want to go big so you also get a big payoff. Of course don't let me persuade you if you want to go cautious at first.

BUT. If you feel pretty confident out of the gate.... Why not?

This process is such a pain in the dick, you might want to go big so you also get a big payoff. Of course don't let me persuade you if you want to go cautious at first.

BUT. If you feel pretty confident out of the gate.... Why not?
Haha, I definitely have the "confidence" after repairing a single yanagiba. but I'm still looking at testing stones and honing my skills even after I'm able to thin and clean up a bevel.

Haha, I definitely have the "confidence" after repairing a single yanagiba. but I'm still looking at testing stones and honing my skills even after I'm able to thin and clean up a bevel.
Don't need that for a TF. None at all.

An essential three you need for these is:

-Confidence that you can make best of whatever it'll be if it's not essentially a warped blade/grind; or EVEN so, and/or an easy way to return it;

-An understanding that to prove good to them while loyal to whatever behavior pleases you OOTB IF ANY, they mostly need thinning BELOW the still very low Shinogi - many of them just that 0.2mm too thick directly BTE and near above to just shine their own best of what they genuinely can achieve; YET the often wonky-LOOKING geometry itself is rarely so much your enemy ESPECIALLY if assessed mostly from a choil shot of a notched Mabs/Denka iteration - notch itself but also tendency for "overgrinding" heels against a generally thicker mid-section "helping" such assessment being very inadequate of the whole blade;

-Guts to find that just extra that will levy any leftover of any low Shinogi/ill-beveling hindrance and acceptance that remedying it outside of precision tools for refinishing WILL leave a trace - I don't think any one of them is so likely to have a clear, sharp Shinogi that'll come easy to chase back, even less so that any one of them COULD ultimately get closer to stellar without such work at the Shinogi.

That is, once you made do with:

- a general yet specific envy to cry upon having a critical look unto it;
- a misfit of handle/puke-inducing finished one;
- a general roughness at any grip area;
- a general disregard of "getting one's money worth";
- and a likelihood of that much extra deception to match any "better than expected" critrerion above.

Somehow, I think TFs are thus more immediately satisfying to work on the coarser-to-low-mid grits synthetic efficiency, but not a first choice to having fun with any J-Nats in the Here and Now. But I never tried any J-Nats whatsoever. I've known a few TFs though.

Last edited:
Back