Windows 10 - Who's going to upgrade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99Limited

Founding Member
Reaction score
About a month ago I noticed the little upgrade notification. Figured I'd go on and get on the wait list and then make my decision when the time came. So here we are about a week from the release of Win 10 and I'm thinking. I know better than be an early adopter of any software so I'm leaning towards waiting. Microsoft is offering this free upgrade for a year so there's not really any rush. My PC is about 5 years old running Win 7 and has gotten kinda sluggish. When it was new startup was almost instantaneous, now not so much. I'm wondering if the upgrade will exasperate my performance issues or will it somehow clean everything up and return my PC to like new. I don't really believe that's going to happen, but I thought I'd like to hear what other people have to say.

I mean if your computer is running that poorly there are probably a few things you could do to fix it up in general. Ccleaner is pretty good for cleaning out your registry and unused files, maybe defrag the hard drive if it is a hard drive, and make sure the hard drive isn't too full. Windows 10 should be a decent bump in performance as the new windows versions do run a lot better than 7. I know I have 10 already on one of my PCs and it looks to be pretty great and I don't really have any issues.

If you need some more advice on how to tune your computer up a bit hit me with a pm, computer stuff is kind of my forte.

I've been running 8 for the post few months. I think I'll be going back to 7 until they get the inevitable kinks worked out of 10. The last I read was that this was likely to stay free as part of their new business model?

About a month ago I noticed the little upgrade notification. Figured I'd go on and get on the wait list and then make my decision when the time came. So here we are about a week from the release of Win 10 and I'm thinking. I know better than be an early adopter of any software so I'm leaning towards waiting. Microsoft is offering this free upgrade for a year so there's not really any rush. My PC is about 5 years old running Win 7 and has gotten kinda sluggish. When it was new startup was almost instantaneous, now not so much. I'm wondering if the upgrade will exasperate my performance issues or will it somehow clean everything up and return my PC to like new. I don't really believe that's going to happen, but I thought I'd like to hear what other people have to say.

Quick reformat and it will work good as new.. OS "doesn't really" have much to do with how well your computer runs, that's the hardware, though the OS can require more resources and can be overall a bad experience, but Windows 7 IS NOT the cause of your issue.

The upgrade train, I'm on it. I was on XP till they stopped supporting it. That means no security updates. An unpatched OS with old unpatched applications are the last things you want running on your PC thats connected to the internet. If a Windows 7 PC and on up gets slow, it probably not an OS issue unlike earlier version of Windows. It's probably an infestation of malware or junkware eating up you CPU and I/O or most likely your hard drive filling up. Hard drives both spinning platter and SSDs gets slower as its capacity is used up. Anywhere close to 75% is where slowdown is quite evident. Best thing to do is to get an SSD for your OS boot, pagefile and application drive and keep it below 70% usage. Keep your regular hard drive for bulk data.

Quick reformat and it will work good as new.. OS "doesn't really" have much to do with how well your computer runs, that's the hardware, though the OS can require more resources and can be overall a bad experience, but Windows 7 IS NOT the cause of your issue.

Reformat is just the quick and dirty way of doing what I was saying to do, it really is completely unnecessary.

I have an SSD and it is worth every penny. I run an alienware with the free upgrade to 10. I have heard of many issues for alienware computers with 10, so I am waiting a bit before I upgrade.

I've been in this business for longer than windows has been around and the rule since windows launched has always been every other release of Windows since Windows 3 is pretty good, so 10 will probably be pretty good :)

It's also free

I wouldn't let a Windows application in the same room as my MAC, unless its in a Vm of course. DOS 5.0 was the best OS MSFT ever created, Windows 95 wasn't bad either.

Windows 10 is pretty dang awesome, 7 was great, even 8 ran well people just didn't like the interface. Compared to Mac who doesn't support their users past a few years I am one of the few that will switch from a macbook to a PC for my next laptop purchase.

No matter what the 10 interface is, it will be better than Metro.

Well I always recommend that the first thing people should do when they got a machine with windows 8 or 8.1 was install something like "Classic Shell", that made Metro go away :)-) ) of course 10 will make classic shell not needed of course...

Reformat is just the quick and dirty way of doing what I was saying to do, it really is completely unnecessary.

reformats are recommended every year or so. Even with ccleaner, defragging, cleanup, etc, etc, you will still have clutter, and crap, in your machine. Tons of crap that you don't need, or wont need in the future. I do everything you mentioned already, and still have clutter and crap that slows my computer down, meaning, I am due for some formatting.

As for "performance boosts" with updates, I wouldn't say that to be true, at all, and is usually the opposite. The OS upgrade will usually cost more resources, which in turn will make things slower. That being said there are ways to make things faster, use less resources, and overall be better, but a lot of people don't see that in updates, especially 8. As for 10, I cannot ocmment on that.

I'm sure they've put provisions in place so that you can roll back to your previous operating system if you're not keen.

I only use windows as a VM on my Mac and I find that windows 8 can be annoying to navigate without a touchscreen. I'm intending to install to update when it's released and then if there are too many bugs I'll just restore windows 8. I guess it's worth a try.

reformats are recommended every year or so. Even with ccleaner, defragging, cleanup, etc, etc, you will still have clutter, and crap, in your machine. Tons of crap that you don't need, or wont need in the future. I do everything you mentioned already, and still have clutter and crap that slows my computer down, meaning, I am due for some formatting.

As for "performance boosts" with updates, I wouldn't say that to be true, at all, and is usually the opposite. The OS upgrade will usually cost more resources, which in turn will make things slower. That being said there are ways to make things faster, use less resources, and overall be better, but a lot of people don't see that in updates, especially 8. As for 10, I cannot comment on that.

No you really don't need to reformat. Any of this clutter is very easy to remove, unless you place files in places and don't really want to deal with deleting and organising them. Reformat used to be thought of as a way to fix things before people had all these programs and resources to remove the clutter.

As for recent windows versions becoming more efficient they have, windows 7 was not really one of those, but windows 8 brought a sizeable performance bump in a lot of their coding and general use. Windows 10 again makes things more efficient and run better. As time goes by now things don't really need to get more complicated and are becoming more streamlined, I know I have an htpc at home I have left on 7 and plan to upgrade to 10 soon to gain a decent amount of performance.

Yeah, reformatting, registry cleaning, manually defragging and partitioning drives for performance are kludges that once may have worked but in the context of more modern OSes, are like outdated superstitious rituals. They are not all morons at Microsoft, and do have smart people working to improve the OS internals with every release. If you're PC savvy, there are free tools from sysinternals(now part of MS technet) that will tell you whats going on on the PC when it seems slow. procexp and autoruns are two I use most often. Windows 7 and up has resmon which gives you great information of how your PCs resources are being used so you can identify the hogs. Look them up on google as there are guides on how to use them.

And pushing ads and other shits our way like crazy the more the versions evolved. I like Windows 10, but Windows 8.1 was about perfect with the right settings, and free of BS.

dcd7z-1fd6595f-3e91-4b96-9df2-0be975b2bf78.jpg

Ccleaner is pretty good for cleaning out your registry and unused files
It's been looking pretty dodgy since AVAST bought it, and a lot of people are now suggesting it's best avoided.

Best thing to do is to get an SSD for your OS boot, pagefile and application drive
Yeah, so much this, makes a huge difference. And get the fastest one you can, there are some very slow SSDs out there still. (I just put a new 1TB Nvme in my system to replace the 250GB Nvme that I put in a year or so ago, and it's VERY obviously quicker, and the old one was quite a lot quicker than the SATA SSD it replaced back then.)

Nvme SSD 240g for OS, sata SSD 480gb for Steam, 16GB 3200mhz... main PC.

Server has a 240gb sata ssd for OS and 8TB hard drives for media and backup. 32Gb 2400 mhz ram.

Htpc runs on 128gb sata ssd.

Yeah, I figure 8GB for mainstream, web, email and Facebook usage. People that would need more than 8GB would know this. Potentially...

I used to do PC Repair.. some customers are clueless and demanding. Glad food doesn't speak verbally.

8GB is a minimum with DDR4 if you want dual channel - which you do. It’s more than enough too for 95% of people. Old systems I built for customers with ssd and 4GB 1600mhz ddr3 are still almigthy fine for general use.

Definitely an SSD for the OS and apps. Ram a close second, 8GB at minimum.
Would that I knew what any of those terms meant.

That's one thing I've noticed here (and elsewhere); using abbreviations for insider terminology is confusing. I use abbreviations like 'Henx' and 'Viki' (for Henckels and Victorinox) for myself when writing notes to myself but when posting/blogging/communicating in public with others who might not know what I'm referring to I try to write out as much as I can so noobs/lurkers can understand what I'm typing.
As an example, how many of you can decipher this? "WTS Soviet ORS T6-V11.1 (MMD, 1952-57) S#1364508 dublikat!"?
For me, in my field, that is as clear as a bell. For 99.999% of the rest of the world...?

Latest posts

Back