Woodworking chisels?!?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrano

Reaction score
Anyone have any favorite chisels? Figured there may be some overlap between Japanese knives and chisels.

I use kikuhiromaru chisels. I get them from Japan Tool

None of my siblings wanted all my father's chisels he used for shaping wood models for wind tunnels at NACA & NASA.

I got them all have used the flat chisels for carpentry. Many small gouges, V, curved did relief carvings with them.
IMG_20210107_173653941.jpg

Anyone have any favorite chisels? Figured there may be some overlap between Japanese knives and chisels.

I'm just in the process of shopping for new chisels myself. I've got a few Japanese bench chisels, as well as an old set of Marples Blue Chip chisels, Two Cherries firmer chisels, a few sets of Lie-Nielsen bevel-edge bench socket chisels and mortise chisels, and a set of Pfeil wood-carving chisels. I've also got quite a few Robert Sorby wood-turning chisels. Hard to pick a favourite because they address various types of woodworking, but as far as bench-chisels are concerned, the Lie-Nielsen are right up there. I haven't bought new chisels in twenty years, and I've got the itch to try something new, and one model in particular that interests me these days is the Narex Richter bevel-edge socket bench-chisels. Lee Valley also has their Veritas PMV11 chisels which are very attractive. We'll see. Stanley has their new 750 Sweetheart socket chisels, but some of the reviews are a little divided. I'd kill to find an original set of the old Stanley's. Barr is a high-end maker, and there's the old Buck Bros. chisels, Swan, Witherby would also be nice to find in a yard sale or estate sale.

Last edited:
I have some Lee Valley/Veritas chisels, in both PM11 and A2. They're both nice, but the PM11 is worth the extra bucks for an often used size. I also have a couple of the new Stanley 750s... they don't do much for me and I kind of want to replace them with the L-N version of the old Sweethearts. I'd also like to pick up some Japanese chisels at some point, but haven't as of yet.

I have some one offs of old chisels and a few sets. I have Marples blue handled chisel set back when they were made in England. I have the new Stanley 750s when they first came out. They were about $100 for a big set. I also have a Stanley Fatmax Thru-tang set for rough work. Not bad for $50 a set.
I have no complaints as they work well enough for me.

Back