Work in Progess

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marko, is any of the 8" mini scimitar going to be for sale?

I would pretty much sell my kingdom for that Damascus Gyuto. Seriously. I would do it.

Knives I have worked in the past few days.

20140330_220112_resized.jpg

20140330_215753_resized_1.jpg

20140330_215811_resized.jpg

20140330_215837_resized.jpg

Whoops, I knew that it's poplar, but I guess I'm just use to typing popular more often and automatically did it. I was more pertaining to whether or not 'select' was a wood industry standard similar to how the USDA grades beef as prime, choice, or select.

My landlord's stair building business upstairs, and they use a lot of poplar for structure of the stairs (and oak for steps, rails and posts), so once in a while I come across a piece of poplar with some grain. Typically, it's heartwood from an old tree. Some has black, some red and purple in it. The one in the picture has red in it.

I've been dabbling in saya making recently and that slot shape just blows me away. Is it a two piece? I'd love to see the production of it.... but that may be revealing some secrets :nunchucks:

I've been dabbling in saya making recently and that slot shape just blows me away. Is it a two piece? I'd love to see the production of it.... but that may be revealing some secrets :nunchucks:

It's two-piece construction, and you carve the cavity on one side only.

I posted some WIP pics in the blog on my web site a while back, the process is to remove the wood with saya chisels and wood rasps fitting the knife in the process until it "sinks" in the cavity for an exact fit. No, no secrets, just plain work. Dremmel, router, gigs don't work as well as plain old saya chisels and rasps. I usually fit it so you no pin is necessary, though as the knife gets thinned, the pin will come handy.

I shaped a saya on a belt sander and finish sanding by hand.

Marko

I love the finish you use! I also like to make handles (im no where near good as you, im just kinda getting into it) What finish do you use?? the wood im using looks nice, but needs a bit more of a pop

I love the finish you use! I also like to make handles (im no where near good as you, im just kinda getting into it) What finish do you use?? the wood im using looks nice, but needs a bit more of a pop

I sand the handles to high grit (800-1200) and buff. I don't do any additional finish, like oil finish, on the handles as I use either natural oily woods or stabilized woods.

Hope this answers your question.

Marko

Couple of sets of practice knives finished. 52100 and AEB-L. First set handle material is macassar ebony, second - cocobolo. Octagonal handles are tapered at the ferrule.

DSC_1115.jpg

DSC_1116.jpg

Just completed this one. The pics don't do justice - I will take better pics at home and put some in the Gallery.

250mm gyuto in 52100 &15N20, koa handle and saya. S-grind.

20140716_131640.jpg

20140716_131226.jpg

20140716_131209.jpg

Wow Marko thats amazing! Did you do the damascus yourself?

Wow Marko thats amazing! Did you do the damascus yourself?

Thanks, guys. Shop pics are actually not that great - the set looks much nicer in real life.

This is damascus made by Devin's son, John.

Back