Worn in Atoma works better.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmRoyale

Reaction score
I've noticed that a worn in Atoma 1200 works better than a brand new one. My guess is this is because the diamonds have levelled out so there's more of the diamonds making contact with the metal. The same thing happens with the 600. Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

I’m curious to see what some of the experts have to say about this, as I’m potentially picking up an atoma plate (in a coarser range (120-400)
What type of metal are you going to be using this on? Or is it just for lapping/flattening?

Not going to be using on, I ám using it for knives and tools. Otherwise I wouldn't have said I noticed a worn in plate sharpens better ;)

For flattening it's the opposite.

Cool, what type of steel though? High HRC?

Every type of steel. It doesn't matter what you throw at a diamond plate. You've never used one, have you?

new atomas suck because they tend to gouge cladding or stones and diamonds rip off of them [emoji21].

This is why I like EZE-LAP plates. They use a mix of (friable) poly- and monocrystalline diamonds that cuts very consistently once it breaks in. Supposedly it doesn't last as long as Atoma, but at about half the replacement price I don't really care. My SF is still going strong after 4 years.

I second the OP’s observation. I use a full set of DMT 8” Diaflat (xxc through xxf) for high alloyed steels and the more I use them, the less periodic deep scratches I see from each progression. Similarly, I use Atoma 400 for flattening all synthetics above 1000 grit, and it used to leave deep scratches the first several months on the synthetics, but since then, I get a pretty satisfactory finish on stones from 1000 to 5000.

Last edited:
new atomas suck because they tend to gouge cladding or stones and diamonds rip off of them [emoji21].
Damn I wish someone wouldve told me this earlier ... So how long before they stop coming off ?? Ive used my 400 for a few months now and I thought by now they would stop coming off! But just yesterday one got imbeded in my suita and screwed up my finsh [emoji20]

Damn I wish someone wouldve told me this earlier ... So how long before they stop coming off ?? Ive used my 400 for a few months now and I thought by now they would stop coming off! But just yesterday one got imbeded in my suita and screwed up my finsh [emoji20]

Hard to tell as it depends on usage, also, me and others have noticed that the best Atoma plate in this regard is the 140, anything above has a higher tendency for diamonds to dislodge. That being said, after I worked on a deba on my 1200 it settled down site a bit and has only dislodged a diamond once in the last several months (while lapping an extra hard and fine stone of course :mad:). I don't have enough experience with the 400 plate to give you a better answer.

Go over the Atoma 1200 with a Shapton pro 1000 using no pressure and you'll get rid of the loose diamonds.

I've noticed that a worn in Atoma 1200 works better than a brand new one. My guess is this is because the diamonds have levelled out so there's more of the diamonds making contact with the metal. The same thing happens with the 600. Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
Moreover, he is also gentle and works over time:)

Back