• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTT/S 300MM Ashi Honyaki Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooksie967

No more Ashi
Reaction score
Looking for other absolute unicorns. You've all seen it. Measures 300*54mm and has insane banding.

Please post pics of what you're considering but keep offers to PM.

I know I have to put a value here so : $5K or $3500+Trades

Pics to follow.

nMeiJqI.png

uzknqk2.jpg

fknm1yW.jpg

x2W15kP.jpg

DQj3fSt.jpg

QC7NY9L.jpg

Nyw0fpI.jpg

GD5DJZi.jpg

Ia9xESA.jpg

mdNpR1q.jpg

7nJBUQo.jpg

As you can see the blade is used but in excellent condition and perfectly straight with amazing distal taper and straightness.

What is a unicorn, and why is this knife worth of a 5k price tag, I really would like to know.
Thanks

What is a unicorn, and why is this knife worth of a 5k price tag, I really would like to know.
Thanks

A unicorn is a rare mythical animal, something so rarely seen that some people even doubt it's existence.

I have no idea on the value, but that multiple people are interested make it seem reasonable.

a number of factors on why this is unicorn

- The maker of the honyaki is the owner of Ashi Hamono. He is one of the best makers out of Sakai. He doesn't have one of those 'traditional Japanese craftsmen' titles not because he doesn't deserve one, he just doesn't see the point of having a piece of paper that says you are.

- JKI is one of a only few places that stocks them and they have been on the waiting list for 4 years and ETA is unknown (I have been told the ones on order with JKI are already spoken for). The Backorder for Ashi Hamono is insane. I can see the economics behind it. Why use the time required to make a Honyaki when you can make 2-4x more of the normal stuff

-I have a Ashi honyaki suji myself and I can tell you the hamon of that thing is out of this world. You would not find a better Honyaki hamon than that.

- The steel they use for the honyakis are very special. Look at it, has any one seen another honyaki with this kind of steel. From what I understand, once he goes through what he has of that steel, you will never see another one as the steel is no longer made.

-it's a 300mm gyuto.. that's a lot of steel you are getting

so there you go, a number of factors make this so rare. It's not as rare as a KD but it's not far behind

a number of factors on why this is unicorn

- The maker of the honyaki is the owner of Ashi Hamono. He is one of the best makers out of Sakai. He doesn't have one of those 'traditional Japanese craftsmen' titles not because he doesn't deserve one, he just doesn't see the point of having a piece of paper that says you are.

- JKI is one of a only few places that stocks them and they have been on the waiting list for 4 years and ETA is unknown (I have been told the ones on order with JKI are already spoken for). The Backorder for Ashi Hamono is insane. I can see the economics behind it. Why use the time required to make a Honyaki when you can make 2-4x more of the normal stuff

-I have a Ashi honyaki suji myself and I can tell you the hamon of that thing is out of this world. You would not find a better Honyaki hamon than that.

- The steel they use for the honyakis are very special. Look at it, has any one seen another honyaki with this kind of steel. From what I understand, once he goes through what he has of that steel, you will never see another one as the steel is no longer made.

-it's a 300mm gyuto.. that's a lot of steel you are getting

so there you go, a number of factors make this so rare. It's not as rare as a KD but it's not far behind

not quite... he's not making them anymore, but its just white #2 steel... nothing crazy there

Also the alloy banding is crazy in this one, and it is something that can't be made intentionally.

I see, this was what I was told by someone...

if it's just W2, how does he get it to look the way it does.. haven't seen it anywhere else

Latest posts

Back