Yamawaku 210mm knives variations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icanhaschzbrgr

ill-Known Member
Reaction score
I got myself 210mm Yamawaku gyuto about a year ago. Soon after rehandling and friend of mine tested it and asked to keep it.
This year another friend of mine decided to dive into world of good kitchen knives and asked for recommendation. I showed him my own knives and he decided to try something from carbon, so I offered him to order Yamawaku (less then 100$ for a 210mm gyuto). About a week later I ordered another Yamawaku gyuto for another friend of mine.

When both of them arrived, I was pretty surprised to see how different they were. But here are some pictures:

First thing you'll notice is the difference in KU finish. On the first guyto it's black with pretty pronounced nashiji. Second one offers dark grey, more refined KU finish.

Kanji is done differently on them as well. The characters are the same, but the size and accuracy are different.

Choil area on the first one is pretty roughly polished, while the second one has a properly rounded and well polished choil.

15702336235_0e42928dbf_c.jpg

Profiles and geometry are the same.
I had a feeling that tips are a bit different, but even if so, the difference is very subtle.

15516466009_0cc4e88e94_c.jpg

You may also notice that there isn't a clear line between core and cladding on the first gyuto, while on the second it's pretty obvious.

Also second gyuto has a polished spine, while on the first one, it's rounded, but covered in KU finish.

15517523070_f8a5b7ec42_c.jpg

Handles appears to be the same. Price is the same. Ordered from the same vendor.
Both gyutos looks and feels awesome in person.
While I do understand that each handmade knife is different, I never imagined there would be so many differences.

i have read somewhere that there is more than one blacksmith- this may explain it?

Perhaps the maker is evolving his craft. 330mate describes the maker as a talented young man.

Things get even more interesting. Robert suggest me to put something acidic on the second knife to see if it's stainless cladded. So I've some pomegranate juice on both blades, and indeed the second one appeared to be stainless clad.

Never before have I heard about stainless clad Yamawaku knives and now I have one.

Back