Yaxell Super Gou

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own one and I love it. One of the sharpest knives out-of-the-box I have ever had.

I also have a Yaxell 8" Dragon Chef that is equally nice.

Please, just no. I have Yaxell Ran, which should be exactly the same except the steel. I hate the grind - it wedges on everything. Yeah, it can get sharp, but so can any other similarly priced knives. I'd pick other Japanese blades from a real knife seller that doesn't sell generic Shun, Miyabi, Yaxell, Global brand cuz it's almost a guarantee that you'll get a better quality knife with the same price.

Please, just no. I have Yaxell Ran, which should be exactly the same except the steel. I hate the grind - it wedges on everything. Yeah, it can get sharp, but so can any other similarly priced knives. I'd pick other Japanese blades from a real knife seller that doesn't sell generic Shun, Miyabi, Yaxell, Global brand cuz it's almost a guarantee that you'll get a better quality knife with the same price.

I completely and confidently disagree.

I have a Yaxell Super Gou 200mm gyuto. Would not recommend. I got mine in sale for 200 dollars. Before I knew better. It looks amazing but the grind is sub par to any jknife you get in the price range. The cladding will also make you panic when you sharpen, and you will probably want to thin this out if the box.

That said, I Lent it to my friend who has only used Wursthof and Global and he loves it. It represents a step up in performance from those knives (although it wedges more than Globals) and its easy on the eyes.

I would probably say go for it if you can get it for 130 bucks or so. Ethinf
But at full price you can get a Masakage or a Kurosaki or any other amount of knives thst will perform better, even if they don't look as blingy.

Well, here’s my opinion. I have a Yaxell Ran which I received as a present a long time ago. Did it blow my mind when received? Yes. Why? Because I had only German knives before (Wusthof Dreizack).

I then plunged into the rabbit hole and went for nicer knives. As I was pleased with the Ran, I tried the Gou too. But that was after I had tried other good Japanese knives, such as Hattori FH or Misono Dragon. Those are cheaper than Gou but are better in every regard. The Gou is nice to look at, and it is good as long as you don’t try other knives... Then you will realize that it is an OK knife but no more - for a price tag which, well, makes you expect more.

Oh, generally, balance on Yaxell knives is completely off due to their huge and heavy handle.

To make a long story short, I wouldn’t recommend any Yaxell knife. I still have mine and use it as a beater knife, I cut hard produce and half-frozen stuff with it too simply because I don’t care about that knife at all...

Well, here’s my opinion. I have a Yaxell Ran which I received as a present a long time ago. Did it blow my mind when received? Yes. Why? Because I had only German knives before (Wusthof Dreizack).

I then plunged into the rabbit hole and went for nicer knives. As I was pleased with the Ran, I tried the Gou too. But that was after I had tried other good Japanese knives, such as Hattori FH or Misono Dragon. Those are cheaper than Gou but are better in every regard. The Gou is nice to look at, and it is good as long as you don’t try other knives... Then you will realize that it is an OK knife but no more - for a price tag which, well, makes you expect more.

Oh, generally, balance on Yaxell knives is completely off due to their huge and heavy handle.

To make a long story short, I wouldn’t recommend any Yaxell knife. I still have mine and use it as a beater knife, I cut hard produce and half-frozen stuff with it too simply because I don’t care about that knife at all...
You said it better than me.

Latest posts

Back