Yoshihiro AS 210mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeelover191919

Reaction score
Looking for a good daily driver in my 7 day a week 2 meal a day kitchen.

This will replace a 7 year old Wusthof Classic 8in & Shun Premier Kiritsuke 8in. I also have a Masamoto KS 240mm that i rarely use.
I also have an Aritsugu Blue 150mm Petty that i got from japan last year.

What do you guys think of this knife as a daily driver? https://www.echefknife.com/product/yoshihiro-aogami-super-blue-high-carbon-kurouchi-gyuto/

I'm a 4/10 sharpener on Shapton 1k / 5k + homemade strop.

I really liked that it has an engraving option and a matching Saya for $20.

Looks like a good choice. Not familiar with it personally though, but will very likely be a significant step up from your Wusthof & Shun!

I have this knife, it was my first j-knife (but with the older rosewood d-handle). It actually performs really well for the price, but the photo is being very generous in terms of cosmetic finish. It comes with deep vertical grind marks that take hours to polish out (if you care). I thinned mine behind the edge a little and it's a pretty nimble knife if you don't like a lot of heel height.

Looks like a good choice. Not familiar with it personally though, but will very likely be a significant step up from your Wusthof & Shun!

I hope so!!

I have this knife, it was my first j-knife (but with the older rosewood d-handle). It actually performs really well for the price, but the photo is being very generous in terms of cosmetic finish. It comes with deep vertical grind marks that take hours to polish out (if you care). I thinned mine behind the edge a little and it's a pretty nimble knife if you don't like a lot of heel height.
For $200-225 or so would u guys have recommended something else?

munetoshi
I couldn't agree more.
I like mine so much I’ve considered buying another. Not often I feel that way. But given the price, it may not even be a stupid idea this time.
I have the entire lineup, and often consider buying backups. They are that good. Wish he made a 270mm suji.

Are you referring to this:
210: Munetoshi Kurouchi Gyuto 210mm
240: Munetoshi Kurouchi Gyuto 240mm
?
JapanesenaturalStones.com is based in Dennmark. How reputable are they and how is their service coming from someone in the USA?

Are you referring to this:
210: Munetoshi Kurouchi Gyuto 210mm
240: Munetoshi Kurouchi Gyuto 240mm
?
JapanesenaturalStones.com is based in Dennmark. How reputable are they and how is their service coming from someone in the USA?

Yes, that line of knives.

JNS is the best. I placed an order with Maksim 6 days ago and it will be delivered today - East coast USA. He is super knowledgeable, and every order I have placed (many) has always been packed excellently and shipped quickly.

Probably more than half of all members with more than 100 posts have bought something from JNS. :)

Wonder if they’ll still ship to the US (for a reasonable price) during the pandemic. Hmm.

I have the Munetoshi butcher, which I like quite a bit. Enough to consider the other offerings, for sure. Hmm.

Yes, that line of knives.

JNS is the best. I placed an order with Maksim 6 days ago and it will be delivered today - East coast USA. He is super knowledgeable, and every order I have placed (many) has always been packed excellently and shipped quickly.
Up there with JKI, KnS, Bernal, etc.
What I'm trying to say is, JNS and Maxim are reputable.

Great! More options in a niche market are always welcome!
Probably more than half of all members with more than 100 posts have bought something from JNS. :)

Wonder if they’ll still ship to the US (for a reasonable price) during the pandemic. Hmm.

I have the Munetoshi butcher, which I like quite a bit. Enough to consider the other offerings, for sure. Hmm.
Their website is allowing me to place an order as of today.

Reactions: ian
Oh, yea, you always have to email them for international shipping. They’re responsive, speak perfect English, and will offer Paypal payment.

kkk will def consider cleancut & JNS for my next knife purchase. MTC Kitchen's 20% off knives & Stones deal had my heart going though. i'm sad i didn't buy more.

quick quiestion, to sharpen my new knife in the OP, is the shapton 1000 + 5000 + leather strop w/ and w/o green compound good enough? Some people recommended me a 2k stone since the Shapton 1k is like 800-900.

Also cleancut you get to minus 20% for VAT, shipping was ~30 USD. When I ordered a knife from them on a Friday and it arrived on Monday from Sweden!

Also cleancut you get to minus 20% for VAT, shipping was ~30 USD. When I ordered a knife from them on a Friday and it arrived on Monday from Sweden!
no fraking way... you ordered on Friday and got the package on Monday in NYC? i'd buy a knife from them just to say i received a package that fast.

no fraking way... you ordered on Friday and got the package on Monday in NYC? i'd buy a knife from them just to say i received a package that fast.

Results may vary of course but proof is in the puddin'... a lot faster than an amazon prime shipment from NJ that's for sure :D

Doesn't hurt that even with shipping they were the most affordable after the 20% off.

1589834871554.png

Attachments

• 1589834805575.png
    1589834805575.png
    158.4 KB · Views: 6
What, stay away from others if possible, otherwise business as usual?

Nah. Don't come in to work if you can work at home, don't travel between major cities, don't have get togethers etc etc. Biggest difference from other coutries is that the authorities don't enforce these rules by force - the system is based on individual accountability.

While this thread is getting turned into a munetoshi thread; anyone have/had/used both the butcher and the slicer? Opinions?

Latest posts

Back