Yoshikane Vs Wakui

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

resds3

Reaction score
Ive been getting recommendations and researching for the past few days, I think ive narrowed it down to 2 knives.

https://carbonknifeco.com/collectio...-tsuchime-white-2-gyuto-210mm-chestnut-handle

https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=95732&size=n

Being my first Japanese knife I guess my question is, are there any big differences between these two knifes to warrant the increase in price? Im in a spot where im fine paying the increase in price if it gets me a bump in quality, comfort, durability, edge retention etc. but im too new to really know what to look for.

These were also in the running and open to any other suggestions.

https://knivesandstones.us/collections/mazaki/products/mazaki-white-2-gyuto-210mm-kasumi
https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=85673&size=b
https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...hite-2-stainless-clad-kurouchi-nashiji-finish

Yoshi from cleancut has a more comparable price to wakui, the ckc edition has the chestnut handle adding to the cost. I'd go maz or wak in terms of usa availability, the main difference being wak is considerably lighter in hand compared to maz. Both would be great, though the maz is significantly pricier and has an ebony handle, which is a love or hate thing. Tbh you'll want to try both eventually and see if you are a workhorse or lightweight fan.

yeah i thought it might have been the handle driving it up. is there a way to get cleancut to ship to the US? all i see is EU and sweden

yeah i thought it might have been the handle driving it up. is there a way to get cleancut to ship to the US? all i see is EU and sweden

if you email them they will send you a link.

I think 29 euro. And they deduct 20% for VAT off the price you see

Both great knives. They have differences but it’s hard to know which you would prefer without knowing more about your tastes.
Maybe the stainless clad wakui is best for now?

To me the Yoshikane would be more versatile. I love wakui, but those things are pretty delicate, I see the yoshi being a more solid all a rounder.
Not sure I’d want to rock chop with a wakui.

To me the Yoshikane would be more versatile. I love wakui, but those things are pretty delicate, I see the yoshi being a more solid all a rounder.
yeah i did see the wakui was thinner I was more worried about the weight not being enough to chop more than damaging it while rocking.

Which Yoshi would you choose if you had to pick just one?

I really like yoshi dammy sld, old school v2 dammy, kono YS(Yoshikane)...I also enjoy what they do with skd and wh2...haha I’m not much help. I enjoy all of them more or less. But for different reasons.

I really like yoshi dammy sld, old school v2 dammy, kono YS(Yoshikane)...I also enjoy what they do with skd and wh2...haha I’m not much help. I enjoy all of them more or less. But for different reasons.

I had a few Wakuis and they didn't resonate with me. I've been thinking maybe give a Yoshi later this year a change.

Yeah if u order from cc the price is going to be more or less what you see listed for usd. Someone also just posted a munetoshi bnib on bst that could be worth looking at, though 240mm.

Both Yoshi and Wakui come in lots of different grinds. The grind is the main thing that determines performance. Both have a decent taper. Both make good knives. Work out which grind you want and go from there.

Lots of opinions , right!?
Nemo's point about the grind is good, and that's almost impossible to know without using something for a while at home.

All of the knives are good, and any will be a stark contrast from Victorinox in a good way.

I'd give thought to how much you want to worry about rust as well. That's something you can know without using the knife. Will it be just you using it and will you clean and dry the knife as you work? Will There be other people in the kitchen who won't take the same care you do?

Good luck! Throw up a picture when you finally get one

Last edited:
Lots of opinions , right!?
Nemo's point about the grind is good, and that's almost impossible to know without using something for a while at home.

All of the knives are good, and any will be a stark contrast from Victorinox in a good way.

I'd give thought to how much you want to worry about rust as well. That's something you can know without using the knife. Will it be just you using it and will you clean and dry the knife as you work? Will There be other people in the kitchen who won't take the same care you do?

Good luck! Throw up a picture when you finally get one
just me, my wife can barely boil water so i will have to adjust to using a carbon knife but i can get used to it.

Both Yoshi and Wakui come in lots of different grinds. The grind is the main thing that determines performance. Both have a decent taper. Both make good knives. Work out which grind you want and go from there.
This is true. Nemo has the hammer pattern wakui that has more heft to it and might make sense as an all a rounder

And a Yoshikane SKD hammer pattern which is similarly hefty. And a Yoshi Amekiri which is light and thin.
i dont have a big preference as long as something isnt too bulky, i was hoping to keep it to a 210, my 10 inch feels a bit big for my liking

I've used Wakui KnS, Yoshikane KnS, and Yoshikane Dammy SLD. I found that the Wakui is thicker both at the spine and behind the edge than either Yoshis. It's also heavier. So the food penetration is not as good. Yoshis are medium-weight knives that are extremely thin behind the edge. The KnS white (which I suspect would be the same as CKC white) is lighter with less convex than the SLD so the food penetration is better (very slightly), but tend to drag more on taller, harder veggies like large carrots, pumpkins, watermelons. Food release, for me, Wakui and Yoshi SLD are on par, and Yoshi white it the worst.
If I had to use any of these three for all my life, I won't complain, but I would choose Yoshi SLD.

Last edited:
And a Yoshikane SKD hammer pattern which is similarly hefty. And a Yoshi Amekiri which is light and thin.

Can confirm this. I liked the tsuchime skd the best. Although all wakui and yoshikane (and Masashi) I had were very well made/ground knives, just a matter of taste.

Worth to note, Wakui grinds are different with different finishes but there used to be two different grinds in the W2 core SS sanmai kasumi/hairline style too. A thicker and thinner version which should otherwise be about the same

I have the heftier version of the 240 which weighs about 210g or so. Still super thin behind the edge and just about nothing I've used cuts better.

Yoshi SKD is slightly thicker in the spine of the two and the "wide" bevel though still thin behind the edge gets thicker a bit faster.

Wakui is the slightly better cutter and the blade is taller. Yoshi has a pointier tip that works wonders for silver skin and the SKD edge retention is far better than the W2. Both have a flawless F&F. Both weigh about the same.

For absolute cutting performance and taller blade profile get the Wakui. (thinner or thicker version)
For marginally less (but still impressive) performance, lower blade profile, better tip and more edge retention, get the Yoshi.
Good news is both are great.

Back