You asked, you whined, now here it is: Kato passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got this 270mm back in October 2012, the tip is pretty thin.

This is a pic of the knife standing straight up and taken perpendicular to the handle (directly behind the knife). Ruler is there for a sense of scale.

DSC_5393.JPG

Hi Huw, was tip as thick when you got it ??

Maxim: Maybe it needs to come back to you so you can see and maybe fix it?

I will be happy to do it :)

Edit:
or lets do it even faster, you send me the one that is pas around and i send a new one to a next contestant :)

Ben Pm me what you want

Wow, thats great service if u say!

I will be happy to do it :)

Edit:
or lets do it even faster, you send me the one that is pas around and i send a new one to a next contestant :)

Ben Pm me what you want

wow.
I can buy that one for a discount :D:D:D:tease:

I get some 240mm next week, so GlassEye can send it to me and i will ship new one to him so he try out real one.
bieniek: email me and we find something out ;)

I get some 240mm next week, so GlassEye can send it to me and i will ship new one to him so he try out real one.
bieniek: email me and we find something out ;)

That sounds like a great plan. I will PM you.

Maxim: It's a 270 for the passaround. Still game for an exchange?

Yes sure :D I have them in stock so it will be even faster

The new Kato was delivered today, I will use it for a couple of days and try to get it out to the next person quickly.

At the post office, I missed the mailman yesterday so off to get it this morning--at least if they are open as they are supposed to be.

OK, Kato has landed. Thought I would post a few pics so you can see the new and improved tip.

not the best pics, but should be able to see the difference
katotip_zps96bbeede.jpg

from left Shig (240), Kato (270), Marko (225) different size knives so this may not help so much
tips_zpse9232242.jpg

finally choil shots in same order: Shig, Kato, Marko
shigchoil_zpsa44b6127.jpg

katochoil2_zpsbbf684f2.jpg

markochoil_zps9709692c.jpg

Knife is right at 270mm, 50mm tall at heel, and I will have to weigh it as soon as I can and update. Balance point is about 55mm in front of handle--way blade heavy even for someone who likes it blade heavy--though I think a bigger handle would help with this (the current handle is a bit smaller than my 240 Shig-ho). Used it for dinner; scalloped potatoes with lots of onion and garlic along with chicken with mushrooms and habaneros. No stiction on potatoes or onions though didn't do the best job on the garlic (not as thin as I like) but I think that this is due to just being a new big arse knife and still getting a feel for it. Overall great cutter so far, only wedged a bit on rather large onion.

I know this pass-around has been delayed a bit so I will try to get it out late next week.

Cheers!

Any chance I can added on to the end of this list? If not no worries.

I was thinking the same thing. Been watching the development, and would love to jump in on the thinner one if at all possible

Let's run through the list and see; I haven't even seen this knife and supposedledly it belongs to me LOL

Maybe we should let the first list run out and see what interest there is for a second passaround

No problem. It's yours, I just didnt want to ask for it again first, lol. You should at least have a few days with it :)

Just want to say it is not thinner version, it is exact same version as old one :)
The other one was just sharpened to much without been thinned, and tip was repaired without that aria was thinned too.

Maybe we should let the first list run out and see what interest there is for a second passaround

I completely understand. I'll keep an eye out if you decide to start a new list.

Back