Yu Kurosaki AS, kurouchi, tsuchime finish gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen129

Reaction score
Has anyone got any experience of the Yu Kurosaki AS, kurouchi, tsuchime finish gyuto?

https://www.kitchenprovisions.co.uk...ogami-super-kurouchi-and-tsuchime-yu-kurosaki

I already own a 165mm AS Moritaka nakiri and a 210mm AS shiibata Kotetsu gyuto.

How would the Kurosaki compare? I mainly want it because I've handled it in the flesh and it's absolutely beautiful. It's noticeably heavier than the Kotetsu for example.

Any general thoughts from anyone who owns one or has used one?

I have one and really like it. It’s quite light and thin behind the edge. Easy to keep a good edge on it. F&F is good for the price which is very reasonable. SS cladding so easy to maintain.

Do I like it as much as my Takeda, Toyama and Wat? No but the price point is much lower. I find it a very serviceable knife. I also have a Nakiri and like it as well for the same reason. It glides through hard produce such as carrots with ease.

Pm me if you wish to discuss retailers and price points.

+1 on the comments above. kurosaki makes well crafted blades that perform well and looks good too . He´s one of the younger smiths that experiment a lot with different finishes/steels. For example the one you look at is a mix between his classis AS kurouchi (smooth ku, allround style knife) and R2 shizuku (diamond shaped hammer marks, thin edge). He seems to keep similar gyuto profiles (which i would describe as all-round) between the lines. Your shibata is a pure laser (with a pure cutting ability you´ll find hard to match), while the kurosaki is more of a middle-weigh knife with better food release and a bit more heft to the blade. hard to beat the moritaka when it comes to high hardness rendition of Aogami super, but it´s a different style of knive with another style of grind and it´s own tradeoffs (for example less easy to care for, less durable kurouchi finish). If you like the kurosaki - just go for it.

Last edited:
I've looked at Yu's work but in the end didn't get one for the time being, as it seemed to overlap with Masakage a bit. If you're coming from Moritaka you'll not be dissapointed. Great grinds and beautiful work. I don't know how the HT holds up with long use, but the Kurosaki brothers know their stuff.

I got Shibata 210 AS and Kurosaki 240 AS. Shibata is true laser and cuts like a dream. It also has very good food release. I've had Kurosaki maybe a week but I'm really digging it. It wedges a bit if compared to Shibata but it cuts really nicely. I like it profile more than Shibatas. It is also best looking knife I have seen. I got mine from cleancut and it has double ferrule handle.

I have owned that exact knife in a 240mm Gyuto size. It is one of my best performing blades I own. It has a lot going for it. Thin but not a laser and has a very nice grind. It runs full length, mine is 241mm on the edge. The AS takes a wicked edge and retention is excellent. Mine came with pretty thin KU finish so it resembles fish skin, looks dark grey at some angles and metallic in others. Kind of makes it look really cool. It looks even better after the AS edge steel takes on a nice dark patina. The handle on mine is adequate but not extraordinary for knives from Tekefu, rosewood and pakka. Food release is really good and the AS is not prone to rusting as much as it just gets dark as it is used. I have had no issues with this knife and I purchased it new in October last year when Kurosaki-san was in Portland, OR.

I have an older black as kurosaki with the square more distinct hammer marks. a santoku. I like it very much. easy to grind and the sides are stainless. Maybe i can post a pic later.

Latest posts

Back