Cheap new knives test and recommend thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny how the trend really reversed on that. 10 years ago everyone wanted lighter and thinner, the go-to recommendation was a Tojiro DP (probably around 43,44 mm tall in the 210), and no one cared about tall knives.
God knows how you're supposed to do any peeling or in-hand jobs with a 60mm tall knives. I guess some people have really long thumbs. :p

I do like the more "classic" gyuto profiles myself. (Funny BTW that almost every chef knife nowadays is called gyuto although it has little do with that shape from the time when it first emerged)

Talking of which, I am totally hooked with the performance of a cheap Kanehide 270mm gyuto I got:
Kanehide 270mm gyuto
51mm heel height, very light, bitingly sharp (Shapton 2k) and very lasery without being too sticky. The handle is a little big for that heel height but no deal breaker.

Supposed to be a beater knife but now it is the knife of choice for bulk prep if I don´t have much time. And it really is more nimble than a 220mm gyuto I have.

Handle too big? On a Japanese knife?! Inconceivable!

I do like the more "classic" gyuto profiles myself. (Funny BTW that almost every chef knife nowadays is called gyuto although it has little do with that shape from the time when it first emerged)

Talking of which, I am totally hooked with the performance of a cheap Kanehide 270mm gyuto I got:
Kanehide 270mm gyuto
51mm heel height, very light, bitingly sharp (Shapton 2k) and very lasery without being too sticky. The handle is a little big for that heel height but no deal breaker.

Supposed to be a beater knife but now it is the knife of choice for bulk prep if I don´t have much time. And it really is more nimble than a 220mm gyuto I have.
I can see why that is light for a 270. I would round the sharp edges on that handle make it more comfortable in rge hand.

A word of warning, while I used to have some good experiences with Kitchenknives.id shipments, they warned of some customs changes last year. After that, my shipment took 3+ months. Considering the low price and ease of working with them on custom orders (which remains unchanged in my experience and I've seen various grinds including very thin hollow grinds, wide bevels, full flat mid-weights to workhorses from them) I figured it was worth the wait.

A couple months later I ordered a couple customs, then while those were being finished added two more. They asked if I want to ship the initial batch, or wait and ship them all together. I elected to wait and after checking in at the end of December, heard from them on January 1st that they were shipped. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for them.

It does seem that access to tracking is not available to them, whereas it has been prior to the changes they notified me of last year. They have remained responsive to throughout, but I think it's fair for folks to understand there's a bit of risk involved. Is it worth it for the price? Perhaps, but to each their own. I do think they offer value and a cool opportunity to experiment on designs. I might try again in the future, but probably only for 1-2 knives at a time.
Did you ever get your knives from kitchenknives.id? If so, how do you like them? Cheers!

Back