Cpm 10v gyuto passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like this. Maybe not exactly this shaped choil, but more shaped like that, than the others. Idk. Ive always liked that round look.
Screenshot_20240217-214524.png

hi All just an updated. Still waiting on the knife to come in. should have been here today but based on tracking I'd say it's more likely to arrive tomorrow. Will update when I receive it!
I cant remember. What part of the country are you in? Just trying to see how far its made it.

Okay received. Mostly looks good... there are a few spots near the edge that I tried to capture in my crappy video. (broke the lenses had them replaced and I'm pretty sure there is something there messing with he focus + my 1x lens just rebroke).
- Not sure if they are rust but I did not want to take any action before running it past you @Blank Blades. let me know if you need better photos than my ****** camera can handle and I'll figure something out - I got me work phone I can use.

I tried not to read the previous reviews as not to sway my evaluation (for what little its worth) I'll write more tomorrow as I'm making a batch of soup so I'll have some cutting work ahead of me.

But off the bat
Observation -
its heavier than I thought it would be. (not a con, just an interesting observation - I wonder if the metal is more dense than others)

Pros:
IT CUTS
Did some initial cuts of a sweet potato and a Yukon gold. and holy smokes does it CUT and it has some pretty good food release. Using the tips to cut was great, it just blew through them both. Cutting in a push cut, tip to heel, was also phenomenal, a little sticking but I think that's too be expected but they fell off very easily.
Struggled a little when trying to chop the sweet potato in half then into quarter sticks, but I'm not holding it against the blade because it seems like a work horse vs. a laser.
Fit and finish - top notch. All edges are rounded, very smooth and comfortable to sit in a pinch grip (minus the handle - see below). I don't know if I have any suggestions here. I really liked it.
Edge - screaming sharp edge. I don't know who sharpened it last, but it is still quite sharp.
Edge height- I just like that it's not ridiculously tall like 60+.
Forward balance - like above, matter of preference I think - I like that it is ever-so-slightly forward balanced just above where I pinch grip.

Cons:
The handle (kinda)
......its different. I've actually been thinking a lot about handles recently and what dimensions are comfortable.
- I find that the length (as in the Y-axis) is plenty long and comfortable. but the width is not. I don't find this to be horribly offensive, but it forces me to hold it in a particular way that does make it more comfortable and feel like I have enough leverage through the palm but makes my fingers feel wanting to hold onto something.
- the shape construction of the handle is also interesting - thinner as it nears the blade and fatter near the back which makes me think you designed it to be all held on the handle (versus a pinch grip on the blade).

Attachments

• IMG_2749.MOV
    32.4 MB
So i think this might actually put more into perspective what i had in mind with the design, and what i mentioned about the shorter neck.

Don't mind my hands, they literally just always have steel dust imbedded in them, and my fingernails no matter what i do. Just comes with constantly grinding and polishing steel.

So with a shorter neck, what happens is the thumb basically rests against that bevel on the bolster. And the rest of the hand is still full of handle material. You can do a pinch grip a couple ways and it still works.

But with the neck longer, for you finger to rest against the choil like normal, you end up with your hand completely over the bolster rather than mostly the actual handle, which gives it that feeling of being too thin.
IMG_20240301_134600198.jpg
IMG_20240301_134617075.jpg

Okay packaged up and will be shipping to @jedy617.

BlankBlades- thank you for doing the pass around and allowing me to participate.

I don't have any thing to really add to my initial write up. In short, this is a really great knife. It sits as a very confident mid-weight very nimble in hand. Cutting performance is phenomenal. I struggled a little against a butternut squash, but I'd say its to be expected. Had a lot more sticking but again, it's butternut squash 🤷‍♂️. Against all other veggies (potatoes, sweet potato, onions) it was an absolute monster.

The handle discussion has been addressed above, but from my sleuthing on Insta this should be easily rectified.

I will be throwing down for a custom. I'd love to have something with more sex appeal but I just don't think you can beat the high alloy steel in addition to BlankBlades phenomenal grinds and profile. "conventional" steel despite its sexiness, can't compete in sheer performance. The sharpness and function are unparalleled so I'll have to throw down for ASP or 10v (like this beautiful specimen).

Only downside is that you can't effectively sharpen on water stones... but that is a problem for 4 years down the line.

I highly recommend the husky 2 sided diamond plate from home depot. For a cheap sharpening solution for these steels. They're about $15

Just fyi for anyone worried about that part in the future.

One of those plates followed with a strop with 1 micron diamond on it, is pretty much my preferred edge. Or near my preferred edge.

This was about 5 minutes on a venev 800 followed by diamond strop. Didn't go till I felt a burr, just wanted to give the edge a touch up. Really impressed by how much sharper it got in just a little time. Will give using it a go this week and get it out by the weekend.

blank1.jpg

This was about 5 minutes on a venev 800 followed by diamond strop. Didn't go till I felt a burr, just wanted to give the edge a touch up. Really impressed by how much sharper it got in just a little time. Will give using it a go this week and get it out by the weekend.

View attachment 307174
I'd be interest to see how it does with a full sharpening.

Probably will be a good thing anyway, since i imagine making sure fatigued steel is gone could help with better edge retention afterwards anyway.

I'd be interest to see how it does with a full sharpening.

Probably will be a good thing anyway, since i imagine making sure fatigued steel is gone could help with better edge retention afterwards anyway.
Yeah I didn't want to remove a ton of material, plus I feel like even with the venev 400 it could take a bit. I really need a lower grit diamond.

To be frank, at least to me, it was still screaming sharp when I used it so Im impressed it can get sharper 😳
Yeah in the 200's range is still quite sharp for me, I notice around 350+ is when I feel like a knife could use a sharpen. Just wanted to see what a little bit of time on the stones would do with the 10v

Yeah I didn't want to remove a ton of material, plus I feel like even with the venev 400 it could take a bit. I really need a lower grit diamond.
Idk how the geometry is looking now, it didnt look like it thickened up too much in the last pic. If its still close to how it was sent out. A 400 should be pretty quick.

Though, how they are when i sharpen them might throw my perspective off. Since the sharpening process usually goes like.

Literally one or so pass per side on a venev f240, then something close to 1000 jis from when i get there most of the work is just deburring, since i get a burr during a pass on the 240

I don’t think it’s really been sharpened much. I think I, @M1k3, and now @jedy617 are the only three to do anything more than a higher grit touch up or stropping. Not surprised it’s still looking good behind the edge. Also speaks well to the edge retention!
I sharpened it on 3k diamond stone. Of course it being a 3k stone very little metal was removed.

I don’t think it’s really been sharpened much. I think I, @M1k3, and now @jedy617 are the only three to do anything more than a higher grit touch up or stropping. Not surprised it’s still looking good behind the edge. Also speaks well to the edge retention!
It didn't need a whole lot when I had it. A few passes on the Venev 400 then 800 was all it needed. Would hesitate slightly on tomatoes when I got it, but wasn't dull.

It didn't need a whole lot when I had it. A few passes on the Venev 400 then 800 was all it needed. Would hesitate slightly on tomatoes when I got it, but wasn't dull.
Same for me, not dull, but a bit hesitant on tomatoes, so a few passes on 3k.

Just messaged next guy on the list for passaround, hope to get it out for tomorrow.

I'm not good at long writeups for impressions but things to note:

Great, almost effortless cutting feel. Above average food release. Really nice fit and finish. Hand rubs are always super impressive when done well, especially on high wear resistant steels. The handle did feel quite nice to me, although thinner than I am used to. I would like mine slightly thicker. 10V was surprisingly easy to touch up on my venev 800. Steel felt nice.

One day when I have spare cash I for sure plan on ordering a custom.

I received it in good condition yesterday.

Initial opinions after cutting some onions, shallots, scallions, garlic:

Handle is thin and too long and I much prefer wood. Blade is longer and heavier than I like at 226x50mm, 223.53g, but thats personal preference. A bit more blade height would be nice for this length but that is also personal preference. It has very nice rounded choil and spine and good balance. Tip is a bit too curved, I prefer flatter tip for garlic and shallots but this is an extremely minor detail. It was sharp enough to use but it needs a touchup as tomatoes and onion skin have hesitation. I’ll try my venev 800 (about 2500 JIS) and 1u diamond loaded balsa strop.

It had very little patina, it generally looks like stainless except for a minor spot. That is good by me.
IMG_0460.jpeg

Some additional comments:
The profile is a nice shape. Ultimately my preference is for a thinner grind however. Particularly in the mid section. The thickness makes it feel imprecise doing tasks like slicing radish. It feels a little thick for carrots. I found myself using the front third of the blade for a number of tasks as it is thinner.

The steel is nice. I like the 10V a lot and it was not hard to touch up. It got sharper than my K390 petty. I suspect the heat treat may have something to do with that, whatever was done on this 10V seems good. I’m also surprised at how stainless this is.

Some measurements:
49.5mm height at heel, 44.7mm height middle.
Thickness is 4mm at bolster, 3.9mm at heel, 2.9mm mid length.

Many thanks for the pass-around, I much appreciate trying the 10V and trying a different grind to help me sort out my preferences!

Back