London gathering

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

London gathering date

• Can't make it in November, December or January?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yeah I think it'll be boring if we show up empty handed.

Bring along any knives/stones/board that you want to showcase/sell/repair. We should also plan on bulk buying some carrots/potatoes to cut with?
And some butternut squash!

Guys, so, what is the plan? What time shall we meet up at the forge and are there any plans for food/beer after? Perhaps if there are any chefs in the group who could use our extra hands we could do a small feast? Or easier just to get some pub food perhaps?

I don't have that many knives to bring, but happy to have some and show. A few Toyamas and Wats as well as a KU Shig Santoku and Takeda Gyuto. Not sure if anyone is interested in those? Oh, a custom made Watanabe / Toyama Honyaki, with a lot of patina and a few small chips that I've not fixed in ages.

Still waiting for @cotedupy to let us know when he can host us at the Forge. If he's flexible, may I suggest 1pm start? That gives people time to travel to and back if they are based outside of London.

This is not a dick size measuring contest, but simply a gathering of nerds to share their passion for shiny things. So don't worry if you don't have any high value item to show. Personally I'm quite interested in seeing your shig santoku to see if it's as wedgy as the reviews claimed. I'll be bringing my share of Takeda and Wat to compare profiles with yours.

Still waiting for @cotedupy to let us know when he can host us at the Forge. If he's flexible, may I suggest 1pm start? That gives people time to travel to and back if they are based outside of London.

This is not a dick size measuring contest, but simply a gathering of nerds to share their passion for shiny things. So don't worry if you don't have any high value item to show. Personally I'm quite interested in seeing your shig santoku to see if it's as wedgy as the reviews claimed. I'll be bringing my share of Takeda and Wat to compare profiles with yours.
Sounds like a good plan! Also, my Shig has never been sharpened. It's got original bevel grind. The edge has been on a strop half a dozen times.

Love this approach. I'm also bringing some cheap but great masahiro cleavers. If anyone has a CCK to compare this would be great.

These in addition to the other 4 knives I'm brining [edited]

Last edited:
Think I might see how much a premier inn is.
Any thoughts on getting some decent food Sat night?

There are quite a lot of good food options in Peckham, my top recommendations would probably be; Peckham Bazaar, Kudu, or Levan (in that order). But there are a ton of cheaper options too.

I have a fair few I could bring, anything in particular people are keen to see?
Outdated listing here:
Tom's knives

Sounds like shigs and wats are covered already

Can't have too many shigs!

You've got a huge Carter collection, would love to see which one is your favorite.

Glad that this is gaining some traction, so let's iron out the details, please feel free to edit the list below:

Date: 11/11/23
Time: 1pm
Activities:
1) Tour of the Forge
2) Master sharpening class by @cotedupy
3) Bring your own knives/stones/board to discuss
Participants: Jimmy, @cotedupy @fatboylim @TB_London @mozg31337 @Giovanny Torres @Yoshi @PeterL @lakee

Outstanding items:
1) Can everyone bring a small amount of refreshments? Or do we want to nominate one person for the task?
2) Can we have one person do a bulk purchase on veg for cutting purpose?
3) @cotedupy do we want to put an upper limit on participants and keep on inviting? Or we are happy to keep it at 9 people as it is?
4) How long do people want the gathering to be? 3 to 4 hours?
5) One person to organize for the meal after the event.
6) People replied to the old thread but not voted, let us know if you are interested @Chasingsharpness @HSC /// Knives @WildBoar @JayS20

Last edited:
Might cancel my plans so I can turn up with a van and rob you all 🙂

Ha. I hope you’re joking!

I mean I can show people how I sharpen knives, but it ain’t gonna be any different to the way people do it already...

1. Raise burr.

2. Flip. Raise another burr.

3. Get rid of burr.

[4. Try to do steps 1-3 well.]
You did click like lol, captured in 4k

Screenshot_20231003-220630~2.png

Glad that this is gaining some traction, so let's iron out the details, please feel free to edit the list below:

Activities:
1) Tour of the Forge
Participants: Jimmy, @cotedupy @fatboylim @TB_London @mozg31337 @Giovanny Torres @Yoshi @PeterL @lakee

Outstanding items:
1) Can everyone bring a small amount of refreshments? Or do we want to nominate one person for the task?
3) @cotedupy do we want to put an upper limit on participants and keep on inviting? Or we are happy to keep it at 9 people as it is?
6) People replied to the old thread but not voted, let us know if you are interested @Chasingsharpness @HSC /// Knives @WildBoar @JayS20
Sounds great, can't wait to show of my singular interesting ish knife (shiro kamo b2 nakiri), haven't fully burnt a hole in my wallet (yet), got a tak on its way but I don't think thats that interesting

1) I think if everyone brings some refreshments each it should work out fine, if anyone has any allgeries/dietary issues then it is important that they put it on this forum
2) I will be coming via train so I could bring some veg but it might be better to designate this to someone who lives in london
4) 3-4hrs sounds perfect to me

Activities:
1) Tour of the Forge

Outstanding items:
Sounds like a very good plan indeed. I could bring some of the produce of my local brewery (Rebellion Brewery in Marlow) to sample if anyone fancies. Not sure if I am taking a train or coming by car, but either way could bring some.

Shall we do a vote on the venue after the gathering and I am happy to make a booking. I am happy with either venues that @cotedupy suggested . would also be happy with a local pub.

I have a fair few I could bring, anything in particular people are keen to see?
Outdated listing here:
Tom's knives

Sounds like shigs and wats are covered already
Oh, wow, what a collection! And I thought my collection (of only a dozen ) was getting out of hand o_O With all that choice I don't know what I would like to play with. Perhaps you could bring one or two of your favourites for us to see?

Cool shall bring a few from the horde

Happy to bring a selection of refreshments, as will be on the train not sure can commit to bring for everyone but can contribute to the selection

Likewise with veg, can bring some but not all.

Happy to go with the flow for food after

Happy to bring a selection of refreshments, as will be on the train not sure can commit to bring for everyone but can contribute to the selection

Likewise with veg, can bring some but not all.

Happy to go with the flow for food after
I can also bring some veg and refreshments but not all as I'll come by public transport.
And not fussy for the food after, happy with pub, street food or restaurant.

I'm happy to bring some veg etc too but can't bring a crazy amount since will also be travelling by public transport.

If you still have them I'd love to see your Devin, your Yo handle shig gyuto, and your Takamura.

Is there anything people especially would want to check out? Just thinking about what/how many to bring. Don't have as many Japanese makers some some on here but I can bring some from Kipp, Yanick, Milan, Kamon, Bidinger, Dalman, Newham

Back