London gathering

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

London gathering date

• Can't make it in November, December or January?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm happy to bring some veg etc too but can't bring a crazy amount since will also be travelling by public transport.

If you still have them I'd love to see your Devin, your Yo handle shig gyuto, and your Takamura.

Is there anything people especially would want to check out? Just thinking about what/how many to bring. Don't have as many Japanese makers some some on here but I can bring some from Kipp, Yanick, Milan, Kamon, Bidinger, Dalman, Newham
There can never be too many Kipp and Yanick

I'm happy to bring some veg etc too but can't bring a crazy amount since will also be travelling by public transport.

If you still have them I'd love to see your Devin, your Yo handle shig gyuto, and your Takamura.

Is there anything people especially would want to check out? Just thinking about what/how many to bring. Don't have as many Japanese makers some some on here but I can bring some from Kipp, Yanick, Milan, Kamon, Bidinger, Dalman, Newham
Kamon and Bidinger please🙏 I've been admiring them from afar for some time.

I would love to see some yanagiba; possibly to buy and ideally 270mm! I'm eyeing up a Mazaki 270mm yanagiba on cleancut in Sweden!

I would love to see some yanagiba; possibly to buy and ideally 270mm! I'm eyeing up a Mazaki 270mm yanagiba on cleancut in Sweden!
I have two yanagibas that I could bring. One was bought used on kkf as a project and sharpening learning knife. I've used it a few times. The second one is a pretty Toyama Dama 300mm. It has never been used or sharpened. @cotedupy would love to get tour opinion on this beauty from the sharpening point of view. I am not terribly good at single bevel sharpening and I didn't want to screw up this beauty. 🙏🔪

If there's still space, would be keen to come along and learn as a relative newbie; have a very lean collection so won't have anything anyone would want to see, but am very interested to feel how different knives work and if someone can show me why my Wakui laser seems to stick in/to everything.. and also learn about sharpening!

I just discovered the meet-up and would love to join as well if there's still space! Would be great to connect with some knife enthusiasts in London/ UK. I don't have too many knives here in London but happy to bring my Newham and Merion Forge and also some Veg to slay as well :D

I just discovered the meet-up and would love to join as well if there's still space! Would be great to connect with some knife enthusiasts in London/ UK. I don't have too many knives here in London but happy to bring my Newham and Merion Forge and also some Veg to slay as well :D
Always good to see new people joining the club ))) @cotedupy do you think there would be space for Kevo ?

Greetings, I too just discovered this. If there's still capacity I'd like to join as well. Would be great to see the forge if that's still an option.
I'm a relative noob, but sure I could bring a couple of pieces for comparison and maybe more if I receive some potential orders before then.
Would also bring along veg or whatever else useful for performance assessment...

Always good to see new people joining the club ))) @cotedupy do you think there would be space for Kevo ?
Greetings, I too just discovered this. If there's still capacity I'd like to join as well. Would be great to see the forge if that's still an option.
I'm a relative noob, but sure I could bring a couple of pieces for comparison and maybe more if I receive some potential orders before then.
Would also bring along veg or whatever else useful for performance assessment...

There's probably space for as many as want to come tbh. We don't all need to be testing knives / stones at the same time, but even if we did - there'd be table space to do that for 15-20 ppl, in just one of two arches we have. Physical space is certainly not a problem!

I have two yanagibas that I could bring. One was bought used on kkf as a project and sharpening learning knife. I've used it a few times. The second one is a pretty Toyama Dama 300mm. It has never been used or sharpened. @cotedupy would love to get tour opinion on this beauty from the sharpening point of view. I am not terribly good at single bevel sharpening and I didn't want to screw up this beauty. 🙏🔪

I'd certainly love to see some of your fancy yanagi collection. (I very nearly bought that Shig you had for sale recently!).

And yep - I can advise on sharpening, but it's not going to be anything that you couldn't see done better in one of @JBroida's videos. I basically learnt 'hamaguri' sharpening from this vid and a couple of his others, and that's how I sharpen yanagiba.

TBH - Unless you go rogue on the ura, single bevels are pretty difficult to screw up.

Last edited:
I am totally up for newbies joining the meet up. Also, I respect that there some very expensive knives being brought to the event and need experienced hands e.g. Honyaki glass sharpening fragile! To keep a balance to this, can I suggest (if not already assumed) showing knives is welcomed. Testing out knives is optional based or experience and adjudicated by the owner of the knife. This should minimalist risk to any high end knives where torquing the knife can severely damage. But allow everyone to learn about the knives.

All common sense irrespective of expertise. But some suggested ground rules.

I am totally up for newbies joining the meet up. Also, I respect that there some very expensive knives being brought to the event and need experienced hands e.g. Honyaki glass sharpening fragile! To keep a balance to this, can I suggest (if not already assumed) showing knives is welcomed. Testing out knives is optional based or experience and adjudicated by the owner of the knife. This should minimalist risk to any high end knives where torquing the knife can severely damage. But allow everyone to learn about the knives.

All common sense irrespective of expertise. But some suggested ground rules.
Agreed that with the number of people are increasing, we need to have some ground rules.

Would hate to see any mishap happening, and equally I want to avoid any mixing up of the knives happening. May I suggest that everyone label their own knives (probably put a lable with their initials on the handle), and also label which knife nobody should touch unless the owner is present? Also I'll create a Google spreadsheet for everyone to enter what they are going to bring? Furthermore please take a picture of all the knives at the beginning of the meet, just in case if there's any dispute afterwards.

I genuinely believe I'm overthinking about it, but I much rather have strict ground rules than to sour this wonderful meetup.

Lately can I suggest that everyone bring a bottle of beer if their choice as a small token of appreciation for The Forge/cotedupy to kindly host us? (My little cunning plan to bribe/fool them into hosting us again next year 😂)

Let me know what you all think.

Agreed that with the number of people are increasing, we need to have some ground rules.

Would hate to see any mishap happening, and equally I want to avoid any mixing up of the knives happening. May I suggest that everyone label their own knives (probably put a lable with their initials on the handle), and also label which knife nobody should touch unless the owner is present? Also I'll create a Google spreadsheet for everyone to enter what they are going to bring? Furthermore please take a picture of all the knives at the beginning of the meet, just in case if there's any dispute afterwards.

I genuinely believe I'm overthinking about it, but I much rather have strict ground rules than to sour this wonderful meetup.

Lately can I suggest that everyone bring a bottle of beer if their choice as a small token of appreciation for The Forge/cotedupy to kindly host us? (My little cunning plan to bribe/fool them into hosting us again next year 😂)

Let me know what you all think.
I plan to bring the following knives:

1. Shig Santoku KU 165mm
2. Watanabe / Toyama Honyaki Gyuto 255mm custom
3. Toyama Yanagi Dama 300mm
(If there is any interest, I could also bring Toyama Nakiri 180, Takeda Gyuto Small AS, Yanagi 300mm W#2 project knife)

I'd certainly love to see some of your fancy yanagi collection. (I very nearly bought that Shig you had for sale recently!).

And yep - I can advise on sharpening, but it's not going to be anything that you couldn't see done better in one of @JBroida's videos. I basically learnt 'hamaguri' sharpening from this vid and a couple of his others, and that's how I sharpen yanagiba.

TBH - Unless you go rogue on the ura, single bevels are pretty difficult to screw up.

I’ve seen a number of videos, including the one here. My uncertainty is with the uraoshi sharpening as well as the blade straightness. How to handle the bends, etc. if at all. Just wanted to hear your thoughts and ideas. Cheers

I can't speak for right outside the premises, but looks to be permit holders only on most of the roads around there but there is some pay by phone up one end of the street, and Googlemaps shows a car park that's free at the weekends on a next door street (Choumert Grove).

I will try to make this one, is there a time arranged for people to meet at the forge?

@cotedupy got a few people asking about parking, is there any roadside/public/private parking facilities available near the Forge? Thanks

Oh sorry - I'll check the residents' parking hours/days on Blenheim Grove, and post in the thread. A lot of residents' parking in London doesn't apply at weekends, so we might be fine.

But also we have a little bit of off-road space right outside the forge. Do we know how many people are planning to drive...?

There is generally quite a lot of road space in the immediate vicinity. I'd be pretty sure it's not going to be a problem to find free parking within a couple of mins walk.

Glad to say looks like I'll be able to make this one.

Thinking of bringing in some stones for people to try if they wanted, will there be an area suitable for this?

Glad to say looks like I'll be able to make this one.

Thinking of bringing in some stones for people to try if they wanted, will there be an area suitable for this?
I would love to try your stones. I am planning to bring a few myself.

Fill out the Google sheet off you are attending, helps with the organizing. Thanks.

Last edited:
Might just be where I’m on mobile- but any chance of a link to the sheet to make editing easier

Back