Photo Contest - Pick Your Own Prize each Month

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tojiro honesuki with tabilized kao with nickel silver corbys by kalaeb. The suji above is beautiful and this is even nicer. He's clearly getting better with practice and I'm a very fortunate recipient!

handlehonesuki2.jpg

]
handlehonesuki3.jpg

handlehonesuki7.jpg
[

Carbonext 240 guyoto maple burl with stainless corbey rivets. This a stunner in person, too bad my photography skills suck.

]
handlecarbonext4.jpg
[
]
handlecarbonext5.jpg
[/URL]

9-22-11kiritsuke-yo-gyuto02.jpg

My first attempt at a knife that somewhat resembles a gyuto.....a kiritsuke-shaped yo gyuto. It still needs thinning and some scratch removal, but I'm satisfied with it for my first attempt. 1080 steel, heat treated here at home, and a pair of ebony scales from Burl Source.

Tojiro honesuki with tabilized kao with nickel silver corbys by kalaeb. The suji above is beautiful and this is even nicer. He's clearly getting better with practice and I'm a very fortunate recipient!

handlehonesuki2.jpg

]
handlehonesuki3.jpg

handlehonesuki7.jpg
[

Beautiful work Kalaeb

Carbonext 240 guyoto maple burl with stainless corbey rivets. This a stunner in person, too bad my photography skills suck.

]
handlecarbonext4.jpg
[
]
handlecarbonext5.jpg
[/URL]

Does this wood have a finish on it,'cause this baby really shines:thumbsup:

Yep, both have finishes. The suji doesn't but it's beautiful too.

9-22-11kiritsuke-yo-gyuto02.jpg

My first attempt at a knife that somewhat resembles a gyuto.....a kiritsuke-shaped yo gyuto. It still needs thinning and some scratch removal, but I'm satisfied with it for my first attempt. 1080 steel, heat treated here at home, and a pair of ebony scales from Burl Source.

I like it, it's rustic. good job

Here's the Gyuto with ringed gidgee Dave just made for me.
attachment.php

Beautiful knives you guys.
1st drawing will be tomorrow afternoon.

For the October 1st drawing the winning post was #6.
Mano was the winner but in his post he said if he wins the prize goes to Kalaeb.

Congratulations Kalaeb

You get to pick out any piece you want from my webstore.
Send me a PM and I will tell you how to claim your prize.

Next drawing will be the 1st of November.
Plenty of time to post new knife photos using Burl Source wood.

Sweet. Thanks Mark! I look forward to using more of your wood. Its been a gem to work with.

Congrats Matt!

Mark, may I resubmit the two knives that didn't win for next month's drawing?

Congrats Matt!

Mark, may I resubmit the two knives that didn't win for next month's drawing?

The thread will be ongoing.
You can post "New Knives" that have not been posted yet.

More photos.......... please?
Since I don't get to keep the wood for myself,
my fun comes from seeing what you guys make with it.

Spike,
Your photo is bugging me.
Are you sure I didn't send a piece of spalted oak by mistake?
In this photo the grain really looks like oak.

Frankly, I can't make out any grain at all in this piece. It has so much stuff going on that I can't tell what it is!

Spalted Maple/ Mammoth Ivory/Amboyna
Thanks Mark

Thanks Mike and Tom, I am happy with the way the handle turned out, and I love the knife, but I am kinda doubting the two togeather.

Mike, I'm curious -- what about the combo doesn't work for you? We all have our aesthetic likes and dislikes, and I'm just wondering...

I am having a hard time explaining what it is that I'm doubting. Think it is that the handle is a little too busy with all the color changes

I've tried 3 times to get a good photo of this thing, but nothing is doing this wood justice. Stabilized and dyed sycamore. It was on sale when I grabbed a block I had to have, and added it in since I was already paying to ship one piece. It looks great, especially with the copper liner and copper in the mosaic pin. Mostly purple, with tan, copper and teal bits.

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1120.JPG

Still not quite doing it justice. Maybe Kalaeb can comment on how it looks in person:

kalaeb said:
It's close, rough shaping it done, mosaic inserted, now it's just hand sanding. I have to admit I was not sure the copper and purple were going to look good, but now that I see it put together...it looks really good.

If for any reason you don't like the knife, I will gladly buy it and use it myself, lol.

Haha, see? It looks great. The handle and knife feels much better too. I thought the original Tojiro handle was pretty wimpy and the bigger handle adds some nice stability. Thanks so much for your excellent work Matt.

Nice pics John. I am glad you took some because I forgot. The wood is beautiful, I hope it works well for you.

That's some fine looking stuff! I picked up 3 pairs sycamore scales a while back, and can only hope they look this good when done.

brlsrchiro240.jpg

Desert ironwood burl: not 100% yet... found an internal crack and managed to scratch the bolster by accident with a file, so i'll have to take care of that some day. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back