Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this knife is supposed to have an edge that gets sharp like no other, and be able to hold that edge like no other, while still being plenty tough, and easy to sharpen. It does have a nice weight, is very stiff, appears to have a good profile, but not that thin. Kind of thick behind the edge also.

I’ve heard some people say this Bill Burke is one of the greatest knife makers to ever walk this earth, and able to heat treat his steel to the point where it has magical properties. I don’t know how great this dude really is, but here we go… let’s see what this thing can do.
The handle looks like it’s made from folded velvet

Are you an adequate sharpener?
Yes. Very experienced.

I just cut some carrots and potatoes with it.

As expected, it wedged through the hard veggies because this isn’t exactly a thin knife. Even kiyoshi kato will wedge through hard veggies over time. Even with very good thinning.

But that’s besides the point.

There is something about this knife. I can’t quite put my finger on what it is but, there was an unreal feeling that I felt while cutting those vegetables.

It felt powerful. But not because of its weight. It felt majestic. Like I wasn’t even in the kitchen cutting ingredients. It felt like I was in a battlefield, wielding a mighty sword. And I felt unstoppable.

Dorky, I know. This knife isn’t able to do anything that a yoshikazu tanaka knife already can. But it does it with a completely different ATTITUDE.

The knife has personality. A very very unique personality. Something I haven’t felt since I first used a kato.

There are many knives out there that can cut well. Konosuke, Kagekiyo, etc

But to do so with a completely unique personality is rare.

Denka, Shigefusa, and heiji kind of had it.

Kato definitely had it.

And these Bill Burke knives REALLY have it.

Yes. Very experienced.

I just cut some carrots and potatoes with it.

As expected, it wedged through the hard veggies because this isn’t exactly a thin knife. Even kiyoshi kato will wedge through hard veggies over time. Even with very good thinning.

But that’s besides the point.

There is something about this knife. I can’t quite put my finger on what it is but, there was an unreal feeling that I felt while cutting those vegetables.

It felt powerful. But not because of its weight. It felt majestic. Like I wasn’t even in the kitchen cutting ingredients. It felt like I was in a battlefield, wielding a mighty sword. And I felt unstoppable.

Dorky, I know. This knife isn’t able to do anything that a yoshikazu tanaka knife already can. But it does it with a completely different ATTITUDE.

The knife has personality. A very very unique personality. Something I haven’t felt since I first used a kato.

There are many knives out there that can cut well. Konosuke, Kagekiyo, etc

But to do so with a completely unique personality is rare.

Denka, Shigefusa, and heiji kind of had it.

Kato definitely had it.

And these Bill Burke knives REALLY have it.
As someone who has never handled a knife made by an MS, do all MS knives have this special sauce? Or is Burke in a class of his own?

As someone who has never handled a knife made by an MS, do all MS knives have this special sauce? Or is Burke in a class of his own?
Couldn’t tell you. This is the only knife I own from a master bladesmith.

And to be really dorky, I only bought it because I was drawn to Bill Burke’s face.

Something about his face just tells you that he is a legendary craftsman. Could be the mustache…

Just got this Matsubara petty from @Seemore and I am in love. He did a great job sharpening it, and it made me realize how much work I have to do with my sharpening skills heh it is actually cutting better than my like new gyuto I brought back from Japan!

Attachments

• IMG_7135.jpeg
    IMG_7135.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Maybe a bit of an unusual one around here. I started collecting EDC/outdoor knives long before I got into kitchen knives so I knew I had to have this when it popped up at Bernal.

1X0A2487.JPG

1X0A2485.JPG

KX03 Choil.JPG

242mm edge length
50.5mm heel height
2.3mm spine at heel, 2.1mm spine mid, 0.8mm ~1cm from tip.
221.6g

Barely any info about these out there, but I believe it's a Spyderco KX03 Kitchen Experimental 3 that never quite went into full production and had a short run in 1996 with an AUS-10 blade and black/brown micarta handle. Wasn't sure what to expect since EDC companies tend not to be very good at kitchen knives, but I'm impressed. Very thin BTE, slight convex right face, flat to convex left face, balance at the choil. Has surface scratches from cleaning, but otherwise still looks like the factory edge.

🖕🖕🖕🖕

Next, bikini clad women on low riders, petty knife gripped delicately between their teeth. A seductive look can be seen in their eyes that seems to say “cheat on me with a cleaver again, I’ll show you where YOU can hold this petty”.

FU Mike. FU and the horsepower you rode in on.

Bill Burke makes very good kitchen knives. So do Rader and Carter. I had one MS knife I couldn’t get away from fast enough. That particular maker is not my cup of tea either.

Take a look at what the MS test actually selects for. None of it is kitchen focused. You can probably count on a good heat treat, but the grind is another matter and that’s most of the special sauce right there.

Reading the original description makes me a little uncomfortable though. I’ve never heard someone describe a food processing tool that way before.

Last edited:
2K bc of a face is wild! I thought I was crazy for choosing knives based on kanji lol

Seems you have no regrets tho and thats all that matters 🫡
Oh, it was more than just the face. It was his expression. The confidence. Confidence that is very different from teruyasu fujiwara’s arrogance.

Bill burke gives off the feeling of, “I’ve got nothing to hide. Just cut with my knives and it’s going to be impossible for you to go back to anything else.”

Oh, it was more than just the face. It was his expression. The confidence. Confidence that is very different from teruyasu fujiwara’s arrogance.

Bill burke gives off the feeling of, “I’ve got nothing to hide. Just cut with my knives and it’s going to be impossible for you to go back to anything else.”
Ok I’m all in on this existential experience!

So this knife is supposed to have an edge that gets sharp like no other, and be able to hold that edge like no other, while still being plenty tough, and easy to sharpen. It does have a nice weight, is very stiff, appears to have a good profile, but not that thin. Kind of thick behind the edge also.

I’ve heard some people say this Bill Burke is one of the greatest knife makers to ever walk this earth, and able to heat treat his steel to the point where it has magical properties. I don’t know how great this dude really is, but here we go… let’s see what this thing can do.
I was like ooooh I’d like one too. And then I saw the prices. Good to know that I have a $1000 limit. Ok, I would have dropped $1,600 on Kramer's Shokunin line *LOL*

Last edited:
Maybe a bit of an unusual one around here. I started collecting EDC/outdoor knives long before I got into kitchen knives so I knew I had to have this when it popped up at Bernal.

View attachment 314319
View attachment 314320
View attachment 314321

242mm edge length
50.5mm heel height
2.3mm spine at heel, 2.1mm spine mid, 0.8mm ~1cm from tip.
221.6g

Barely any info about these out there, but I believe it's a Spyderco KX03 Kitchen Experimental 3 that never quite went into full production and had a short run in 1996 with an AUS-10 blade and black/brown micarta handle. Wasn't sure what to expect since EDC companies tend not to be very good at kitchen knives, but I'm impressed. Very thin BTE, slight convex right face, flat to convex left face, balance at the choil. Has surface scratches from cleaning, but otherwise still looks like the factory edge.
I have a modest collection of Spyderco folders. Before I discovered Japanese kitchen knives, I bought a Spyderco santoku. Not a good buy. It was stamped out of a steel called MBS 26 and ground with a bizarre bevel - I don't know, maybe 80/20 or 90/10?

I love my Spyderco folders for EDC and everyday tasks, but they won't tempt me with a kitchen knife again.

I have a modest collection of Spyderco folders. Before I discovered Japanese kitchen knives, I bought a Spyderco santoku. Not a good buy. It was stamped out of a steel called MBS 26 and ground with a bizarre bevel - I don't know, maybe 80/20 or 90/10?

I love my Spyderco folders for EDC and everyday tasks, but they won't tempt me with a kitchen knife again.
MBS26 is the same steel used by Masahiro, could be their OEM

I haven't cut anything with it, but just based on the geometry and thinness BTE it will probably cut like a typical laser. The bevel is a bit more prominent on the left at the heel, but evens out towards the tip. I've never handled another EDC brand kitchen knife, but I'd assume most are too thick at the edge, stamped & full flat ground. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I might as well get a Mercer or Victorinox, which is exactly what I did back then. I mostly wanted this for my collection, and was pleasantly surprised by the quality.

A bit more info: https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php/KX03_Kitchen_Experimental_3
Some of the other kitchen knife pages say Masahiro was the OEM for the earlier models.

I bet you Teruyasu Fujiwara himself could not pass the ABS Mastersmith test.

Back