The Deals, Discounts, & Sales Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15% at Chef's Edge
Awesome thanks for the heads up. That put the Kobayashi nakiri at $213 shipped which as far as I can tell is the cheapest price on the internet for a knife I’ve been hemming and hawing about for some time. Finally pulled the trigger so I can finally see who wins. Kobayashi nakiri or Shibata bunka. Sigh. $213 for a knife that’s absolutely redundant on my rack just to prove a point. What have I become?

Awesome thanks for the heads up. That put the Kobayashi nakiri at $213 shipped which as far as I can tell is the cheapest price on the internet for a knife I’ve been hemming and hawing about for some time. Finally pulled the trigger so I can finally see who wins. Kobayashi nakiri or Shibata bunka. Sigh. $213 for a knife that’s absolutely redundant on my rack just to prove a point. What have I become?
You belong here ❤️

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-knife-abstinence-thread.70885/

1000006956.jpg

That's a hard one, they are both so good. Kobayashi is underrated

Dude. It is a damn good thing you didn't get a Kobayashi maru to compare as well. Nobody would win.

I didn’t even know there was a limit. Placed an order of 2 packs, one for me and one for a friend. Went thru! Let’s see if I’ll get ‘em! Lol

Last edited:
This was my experience with carrots.View attachment 313300
Mine accidentally fell off from my knife rack on the floor and it didn't even chip thanks god. I noticed though a slight bend along the edge though the cutting ability was unaltered. I took it to the stones to realign the edge and was totally shocked it got a clear burr on both sides with just one light pass on the chosera 3k.

Attachments

• PXL_20230401_140910996~2.jpg
    PXL_20230401_140910996~2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Mine accidentally fell off from my knife rack on the floor and it didn't even chip thanks god. I noticed though a slight bend along the edge though the cutting ability was unaltered. I took it to the stones to realign the edge and was totally shocked it got a clear burr on both sides with just one light pass on the chosera 3k.
Good to know! Prior to the new Kobayashi, my Shibata bunka and a Kato 150mm petty were my only SG2 knives and I haven't yet needed to sharpen them for obvious reasons. Good to know when it comes time they'll behave :p

Good to know! Prior to the new Kobayashi, my Shibata bunka and a Kato 150mm petty were my only SG2 knives and I haven't yet needed to sharpen them for obvious reasons. Good to know when it comes time they'll behave :p
Kobayashi sharpens fine, I accidentally hit a glass bottle once and had a 1mm chip, takes couple minutes on stone. Only thing it’s the soft cladding scratches very easily

Another option is not care and learn to love the wear of time, true wabi sabi experience
Ya know, after all this time I had to actually look it up. I always thought wabi-sabi just meant the beauty of imperfection. This definition really drives home how right you are:

"Taken from the Japanese words wabi, which translates to less is more, and sabi, which means attentive melancholy, wabi-sabi refers to an awareness of the transient nature of earthly things and a corresponding pleasure in the things that bear the mark of this impermanence."

Back