Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bible fanny pack
More interesting (visually) is the NFL team fans map.
IMG_1318.jpeg

Never understood why people are so caught up in political correctness. Then again I cut my adolescent teeth in early 2000’s video game lobbies before games realized internet interactions needed moderations and censorship so like most millennials from that demographic I have elephant skin at this point. My better half and I are both mixed. She’s black, I’m Arab. She grew up in a tiny Appalachian town where in those days they likely would lynch someone if they actually thought they could get away with it, I grew up in a post 9/11 US and got to see how the way people treated my mother changed even though she’s originally from Idaho and so white you can practically see her organs like one of those fish evolved for life in caves.

The insults we hurl at each other for funsies would likely cause irreparable damage to some sensitive souls.

It’s all just words at the end of the day, they can only cause harm if you have enough respect for the other person to allow them to, and only if they’re intended for it.

I find it as ridiculous as the renaming of streets and schools and tearing down statues of confederate generals that occurred a few years back. Were they a seditionist group that caused catastrophic loss of life for a silly and abhorrent cause and should have had their legacy ground to dust and dragged through the mud so idiots would stop putting the wrong flag in their pick up truck? Sure, but you also had 150 years to change that during which time that apparently didn’t matter, and it now makes for a historical learning lesson about how allowing a people who had ugly ideals who lost, to venerate a few monsters which in turn allows them to reintegrated back into the whole without needing to salt the earth and burn their family trees to the roots.

History is history. Sometimes it’s ugly, but trying to pretend it didn’t happen is silly. If the people wanted to change highway names, or the redskins wanted to change their name, fine, but that should come from the people and not from activist groups trying to speak for the whole.

Never understood why people are so caught up in political correctness. Then again I cut my adolescent teeth in early 2000’s video game lobbies before games realized internet interactions needed moderations and censorship so like most millennials from that demographic I have elephant skin at this point. My better half and I are both mixed. She’s black, I’m Arab. She grew up in a tiny Appalachian town where in those days they likely would lynch someone if they actually thought they could get away with it, I grew up in a post 9/11 US and got to see how the way people treated my mother changed even though she’s originally from Idaho and so white you can practically see her organs like one of those fish evolved for life in caves.

The insults we hurl at each other for funsies would likely cause irreparable damage to some sensitive souls.

It’s all just words at the end of the day, they can only cause harm if you have enough respect for the other person to allow them to, and only if they’re intended for it.

I find it as ridiculous as the renaming of streets and schools and tearing down statues of confederate generals that occurred a few years back. Were they a seditionist group that caused catastrophic loss of life for a silly and abhorrent cause and should have had their legacy ground to dust and dragged through the mud so idiots would stop putting the wrong flag in their pick up truck? Sure, but you also had 150 years to change that during which time that apparently didn’t matter, and it now makes for a historical learning lesson about how allowing a people who had ugly ideals who lost, to venerate a few monsters which in turn allows them to reintegrated back into the whole without needing to salt the earth and burn their family trees to the roots.

History is history. Sometimes it’s ugly, but trying to pretend it didn’t happen is silly. If the people wanted to change highway names, or the redskins wanted to change their name, fine, but that should come from the people and not from activist groups trying to speak for the whole.
I understand the business with Confederate generals. They are irreversibly tarred with the slaver’s brush. And sometimes, activists are the only folks willing to draw a hard line against the coward’s disclaimer that “this is how it’s always been”.

Using my background as a frame of reference, imagine if Vienna decided to name a street after Heinrich Himmler. I’d be vigorously opposed.

The 150 years thing I interpret as a warning. It tells me that a good idea was successfully opposed for that long by folks whose grievance has been kept alive across multiple generations. If that can be done, I applaud the brave souls who drew the line and said Enough.

Imo if we are talking f about confederate general. No point in tearing them down. I say we keep them up and remember what they were fighting for and keep the history of the atrocities alive. Because if we don’t. Apparently, we can just stop teaching it 🤔

But. I do understand where people who want to take them down are coming from.
I mean.......for jews there is the holocaust museum (many of them) and countless history books and textbooks. Same for the civil war...but we don't have statues of nazis?

See the problem with statues is that they can serve to glorify, especially said confederate statues. You can quite easily keep the history alive without giving the chance for people to glorify a giant statue lol

Welp jest you were too fast for my delete edit lol. But I agree with you . Like I said, I see your argument and i knowledge that it is a correct conclusion. And I want to be extra super duper clear, I am not, hoping it is obvious, not supporting the glorification of the monuments.

I have no objections to taking it down, just a thought to an alternative.

Welp jest you were too fast for my delete edit lol. But I agree with you . Like I said, I see your argument and i knowledge that it is a correct conclusion. And I want to be extra super duper clear, I am not, hoping it is obvious, not supporting the glorification of the monuments.

It's a fair point, just a difference of opinions

Societies put up statues to commemorate and celebrate. The continued existence of confederate leaders’ statues in places of public prominence accomplishes nothing besides perpetuating the Lost Cause fallacy and alienating black Americans. Which is what these statues were created to do when they started going up in earnest during the 20th century.

The proper place to “contextualize” and “preserve” these statues, if such a place exists, is a museum, not areas of public prominence. Budapest has a lovely solution where all the communist-era statues were moved to a separate park where the history can be shown in a manner that doesn’t celebrate the subject and the viewer is deliberately signing up to see this imagery in a historical context - I think that would be a great idea. But if the choice is only between destruction and “history” - **** history

I’m suggesting that history can be served without enabling the bearers of grievance.

Ok I’m out. I am skating dangerously close to politics.

No, it really is not just words at the end of the day.

Societies put up statues to commemorate and celebrate. The continued existence of confederate leaders’ statues in places of public prominence accomplishes nothing besides perpetuating the Lost Cause fallacy and alienating black Americans. Which is what these statues were created to do when they started going up in earnest during the 20th century.

The proper place to “contextualize” and “preserve” these statues, if such a place exists, is a museum, not areas of public prominence. Budapest has a lovely solution where all the communist-era statues were moved to a separate park where the history can be shown in a manner that doesn’t celebrate the subject and the viewer is deliberately signing up to see this imagery in a historical context - I think that would be a great idea. But if the choice is only between destruction and “history” - **** history
Lately I'm thinking the statues in Budapest were just 'parked' there, in order to recycle them and put them back in place later ;-)

I am not in favor of putting up statues of contemporary folks at all, period. What was a good guy/girl back in the day is now looked upon differently, and so will it be in another few hundred years. Glorification of individuals is IMHO silly, we should rather keep their thoughts and intents until they are outdated.

Most of the trend toward humongous cutting boards and super tall gyutos is lazy cooks IMO. I admit, I am often a lazy cook. But in the work smarter not harder kind of way. There should only be one ingredient on your board at a time. If you need a place to store your mise use a half/quarter sheet or some small mixing bowls. Work the product in batches that are small enough to quickly scoop with whatever knife you are using. Or if you absolutely need something to scoop product with then invest in a bench scraper. Pictures of humongous cutting boards piled high with eleventy cross contaminated ingredients with a 180x65 "gyuto" lying on top is the thing of nightmares for me.

Most of the trend toward humongous cutting boards and super tall gyutos is lazy cooks IMO. I admit, I am often a lazy cook. But in the work smarter not harder kind of way. There should only be one ingredient on your board at a time. If you need a place to store your mise use a half/quarter sheet or some small mixing bowls. Work the product in batches that are small enough to quickly scoop with whatever knife you are using. Or if you absolutely need something to scoop product with then invest in a bench scraper. Pictures of humongous cutting boards piled high with eleventy cross contaminated ingredients with a 180x65 "gyuto" lying on top is the thing of nightmares for me.
OoooOOOOooooOOOOOOOooooOOOOOOOOOOOO
1712665676132.png

I'm comin for ya......!!!!

Back