what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my spyderco rep has told me that in the para line their s35vn and s45vn are being targeted for 61rc.
@panda as for peel-ply textured g-10 on a western handled kitchen knife.........I'll throw one in a batch of our in house knives in the next few weeks and see how it feels.

I suspect it might be too grippy.
I'm inclined to agree.
I would not have wanted it during my time in the kitchen for an all day user but perhaps on a filet knife or boning knife that only gets used for shorter periods of time of prep.
that said, I am always up for an experiment.

currently if I want grippy g-10, I just finish it to 220 grit and then media blast it before my finishing oil/wax mixture.

I use a dragonfly at home, it would get lost on first day of use if I took it to work, lol.

Fun fact: The Dragonfly Wharncliffe that propelled all the recent Wharnies, was developed in the Spyderco forum between a chef and Sal.

The Endella is a much larger knife than a DF2. On par with your Para.

EDIT: Also, that K390 destroys cardboard.

I have been beating this Juha Perttula friction folder around a lot, sharpened to a true zero scandi, the hard 80CrV2 is quite fun, sharp sharp boi
IMG_4213.jpeg

I'm inclined to agree.
I would not have wanted it during my time in the kitchen for an all day user but perhaps on a filet knife or boning knife that only gets used for shorter periods of time of prep.
that said, I am always up for an experiment.

currently if I want grippy g-10, I just finish it to 220 grit and then media blast it before my finishing oil/wax mixture.
I was thinking for a paring knife. nothing worse than having it slip while doing in hand work.

*I just realized how that sounds out of context 🤣🤣

Western handle paring, or wa handled petty? lets create an experiment.
western. I have a funny story:
I have had a wa watanabe parer for quite a few years now and I've been regrinding it. turns out you have to thin it opposite face for in hand work. so now I never use it for that cause it works against me 🤣 in only cuts well for on board use and thus useless to me. it would how ever be pretty good for a lefty.

plus I just prefer western handle for parer.

compression lock on top is awesome, you have to pinch the sides keeping your digits out of that thin ass blades path. Practice.
And a much better idea then having a lock in the path of the edge. Liner and frame locks are really a bad idea as far as safety is concerned. I have many, so won't stop me from getting a knife, but technically speaking not an ideal design.

Yes, technically speaking locks are not needed at all. Many use folders without lock and are fine. Same with liner and frame locks, since these are extremely popular. Compression lock is still a better design though since it doesn't put your finger in the path of the blade, but like anything else different, takes a little time to get used to.

Benchmade mini-grip 556-1, CPM 20CV, gray and blue g10. Had since 2016, carried for several of those years, including now. Steel is crazy tough, I've sharpened it once in all those years.

1. Benchmade MG.jpg

Less practical to carry, but more fun: opinel carbone no. 8, reprofiled drop point, forced patina, carved and torched handle with drilled lanyard hole. A sunday project when I was feeling knifey.

Opinel CarboneJPG.jpg

Hmm first time I've heard crazy tough as a description for 20cv. Interesting
More accurately, I meant wear resistant. The factory edge lasted through a lot of cardboard.

As for toughness (chip resistance) I don't known how chip resistant it is at more extreme geometries, but at least with this geometry I've had really no issues.

+1 on this. Fell victim to HHC's enablement and haven't had a lick of regret, it's a great knife with great steel. Still haven't had the uh... pleasure of sharpening it yet but it holds nicely. Still think the wharncliffe is ugly but it's so functional. No chips from using it like a moron, yet.

If you have a diamond stone, it's not bad at all.

Haven't read too much through this yet, but is anyone using a Rockstead knife. Definitely a grail for me, but the sharpening has me intimidated.

I've had 2, really cool knives, but somehow they never stuck around. I wouldn't sharpen them myself. Rockstead offers free sharpening, just have to pay shipping..no doubt could get them sharp, but would probably scratch up the finish. That being said they claim they stay sharp for a super long time just stropping.

Latest posts

Back