what food do others LOVE but you don't?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the life of me I can’t figure out why people bother with artichoke. So much work, to scrape a tiny amount of flesh off the leaf and discard 90% of the thing? Feels like lobster, where for 80% of the population it’s just an excuse to save some butter from peanut butter sandwiches and have an excuse to drink it. I don’t dislike the flavor or anything like that, I just don’t find it worth the effort or waste.

Asparagus is great. Same situation as sprouts. High heat, simple seasonings, let the veg sing (scream really, with how charred it should come out of the oven)
I am one of those who likes the laborious foods. I think they add extra fun. Nothing I like more than taking apart a lobster or crab and getting all that wonderful stuff out. An artichoke already steamed is no work, really. Pluck a leaf, dip, scrape with your teeth, done.

I wish I hadn't written that. Now I want to be in Baltimore with a wooden hammer, breaking up blue crabs boiled in a super-peppery broth, or in Hong Kong, in Shanghai Hairy Crab season, using little plastic tools to get all the meat out of the tiny thing. Or in Boston, with a bib, a perfectly-steamed lobster and a big dipping bin of butter.

Dill is the worst herb. By far. There's a reason we call objectionable people "dill weed."
"Dill weed" as a pejorative is a PG version of dick weed popularized by Bevis and Butthead cuz they couldn't say the real thing on MTV... But I heckin love that you hate the herb so much to give it that sort of credit 😂😂

(I don't mind a little dill but it really needs to learn its place)

"Dill weed" as a pejorative is a PG version of dick weed popularized by Bevis and Butthead cuz they couldn't say the real thing on MTV... But I heckin love that you hate the herb so much to give it that sort of credit 😂😂

(I don't mind a little dill but it really needs to learn its place)

1711082102100.jpeg

Dill is the worst herb. By far. There's a reason we call objectionable people "dill weed."
I was admittedly a bit meh on dill outside of dill pickles for most of my life. I tried it in the last few years in an Iraqi/persian dish that involves long grain rice, fresh fava beans and tons of dill and it won me over. Timman bagilla or bag halo polo depending on which language you prefer.

Dill is allowed to exist in my world now, if I had a garden I might even begrudgingly plant a sprig of it.

Ate fresh durian just picked off the tree in Davao. That’s how it should be eaten. Just smelled like a stronger jackfruit smell. Yummy.

Ate fresh durian just picked off the tree in Davao. That’s how it should be eaten. Just smelled like a stronger jackfruit smell. Yummy.
agree. at and from the source, it is delcious. smells wonky, but it tastes great.

same affect I get from Stinky Tofu. smell it and I'm like "***?"..but it tastes pretty good.

There are some foods I don't care for much, but I will pretty much eat anything, even weird stuff that most people wouldn't touch (offal, insects, sea snail, etc.) But there is one thing I still avoid if at all possible: pickled beetroot. (It's a curse in Australia, because I have to remember to state "no beetroot" every time I order a hamburger.)

The dislike goes back to when I was four years old. Both my parents worked, and I spent weekdays at a Kindergarten not far from our apartment. That was one of the old-school Kindergartens run by the Catholic Church; all the staff were nuns. In those days, Kindergartens were still proper Kindergartens with proper discipline. None of that soft anti-authoritarian nonsense there!

It was the kind of place were kids knew what it meant to disobey, and there were proper educational procedures in place to deal with unauthorised behaviour. A typical punishment was to be forced to put on a dunce's cap and to stand in a corner facing the wall for five minutes. More severe transgressions were punished by telling a child to stand with their hands outstretched, palms down, and to get hit on the back of the hands three times with a wooden ruler. Pulling back incurred an additional strike. For really serious crimes, all thirty kids or so were assembled in a big circle, the transgressor was led into the middle of the circle, had his pants pulled down, and got hit a number of times on the bare backside with a ruler while all the other kids watched. The term "pedagogic" still had meaning back then.

The dislike of beetroot dates back to one lunch time when pickled beetroot was part of the meal. I was a fussy eater at the best of times, and I didn't like the beetroot. I was told to eat it again and again, and I refused. Eventually, all the other kids had finished their lunch and gone out into the playground, while I was still sitting there in a big empty room, with one nun present, in front of my pickled beetroot, being told in no uncertain terms that I'd be there until the beetroot was eaten. Eventually, the nun told me that if I wouldn't eat the beetroot "right now", it would be the hands and the ruler. So I shoved it all in my mouth, chewed a few times, and managed to swallow some part of it. Two or three seconds later, I projectile vomited the beetroot and all the other stomach contents onto the floor. It made a pretty red splash pattern. Shortly thereafter, it was the ruler…

Oh, those were the days. How I miss them. When kids still had respect for their elders and got a proper education.

Sixty years later, I still can't enjoy beetroot. But I will be forever grateful for the caring and diligent education I was blessed with at an early age.

Last edited:
There are some foods I don't care for much, but I will pretty much eat anything, even weird stuff that most people wouldn't touch (offal, insects, sea snail, etc.) But there is one thing I still avoid if at all possible: pickled beetroot. (It's a curse in Australia, because I have to remember to state "no beetroot" every time I order a hamburger.)

The dislike goes back to when I was four years old. Both my parents worked, and I spent weekdays at a Kindergarten not far from our apartment. That was one of the old-school Kindergartens run by the Catholic Church; all the staff were nuns. In those days, Kindergartens were still proper Kindergartens with proper discipline. None of that soft anti-authoritarian nonsense there!

It was the kind of place were kids knew what it meant to disobey, and there were proper educational procedures in place to deal with unauthorised behaviour. A typical punishment was to be forced to put on a dunce's cap and to stand in a corner facing the wall for five minutes. More severe transgressions were punished by telling a child to stand with their hands outstretched, palms down, and to get hit on the back of the hands three times with a wooden ruler. Pulling back incurred an additional strike. For really serious crimes, all thirty kids or so were assembled in a big circle, the transgressor was led into the middle of the circle, had his pants pulled down, and got a hit a number of times on the bare backside with a ruler while all the other kids watched. The term "pedagogic" still had meaning back then.

The dislike of beetroot dates back to one lunch time when pickled beetroot was part of the meal. I was a fuzzy eater at the best of times, and I didn't like the beetroot. I was told to eat it again and again, and I refused. Eventually, all the other kids had finished their lunch and gone out into the playground, while I was still sitting there in a big empty room, with one nun present, in front of my pickled beetroot, being told in no uncertain terms that I'd be there until the beetroot was eaten. Eventually, the nun told me that if I wouldn't eat the beetroot "right now", it would be the hands and the ruler. So I shoved it all in my mouth, chewed a few times, and managed to swallow some part of it. Two or three seconds later, I projectile vomited the beetroot and all the other stomach contents onto the floor. It made a pretty red splash pattern. Shortly thereafter, it was the ruler…

Oh, those were the days. How I miss them. When kids still had respect for their elders and got a proper education.

That's why I don't enjoy beetroot. But I will be forever grateful for the caring and diligent education I was blessed with at an early age.
I patiently waited for the day when i would graduate from Given Name to Mister Surname.

The world changed during that interval.

It was the kind of place were kids knew what it meant to disobey, and there were proper educational procedures in place to deal with unauthorised behaviour. A typical punishment was to be forced to put on a dunce's cap and to stand in a corner facing the wall for five minutes. More severe transgressions were punished by telling a child to stand with their hands outstretched, palms down, and to get hit on the back of the hands three times with a wooden ruler. Pulling back incurred an additional strike. For really serious crimes, all thirty kids or so were assembled in a big circle, the transgressor was led into the middle of the circle, had his pants pulled down, and got hit a number of times on the bare backside with a ruler while all the other kids watched. The term "pedagogic" still had meaning back then.

The dislike of beetroot dates back to one lunch time when pickled beetroot was part of the meal. I was a fussy eater at the best of times, and I didn't like the beetroot. I was told to eat it again and again, and I refused. Eventually, all the other kids had finished their lunch and gone out into the playground, while I was still sitting there in a big empty room, with one nun present, in front of my pickled beetroot, being told in no uncertain terms that I'd be there until the beetroot was eaten. Eventually, the nun told me that if I wouldn't eat the beetroot "right now", it would be the hands and the ruler. So I shoved it all in my mouth, chewed a few times, and managed to swallow some part of it. Two or three seconds later, I projectile vomited the beetroot and all the other stomach contents onto the floor. It made a pretty red splash pattern. Shortly thereafter, it was the ruler…

Sixty years later, I still can't enjoy beetroot. But I will be forever grateful for the caring and diligent education I was blessed with at an early age.
Totally get your aversion to pickled beets, resulting from childhood associations of the food. I myself dislike numerous foods from negative experiences or overindulgence—raw banana, hot oatmeal, ripe papaya (love them green), custard pie, etc.
I do love beets, eaten straight from the can; a beloved component of Aussie hamburgers. Sadly, I had what was one of the worst burgers in my life last month in Esperance, WA, at a restaurant chain called The Dome—only place open for brekkie on a Sunday. My quest for a good Aussie burger continues.
IMG_1138.jpeg

Totally get your aversion to pickled beets, resulting from childhood associations of the food. I myself dislike numerous foods from negative experiences or overindulgence—raw banana, hot oatmeal, ripe papaya (love them green), custard pie, etc.
I do love beets, eaten straight from the can; a beloved component of Aussie hamburgers. Sadly, I had what was one of the worst burgers in my life last month in Esperance, WA, at a restaurant chain called The Dome—only place open for brekkie on a Sunday. My quest for a good Aussie burger continues.
View attachment 312104
pineapple and beet, what da funk!!??

I like pickled beets if I make them. store bought stuff is odd.

it is just a pickle at that point. like a cucumber pickle. or a califlower pickle. I'd eat it on a burger, no problemo.

best burger for me is smashed patty with shaved onion cooked into it on a buttered bun with American chz and pickles, that's it. maybe some mustard.

not a fan of bunch of toppings on such a basic comfort food.

now a fat steak steakburger as a plated entree hell yeah throw me a sunny side egg with peppered thick slab bacon with pickled onions all on top of potato puree, pour some demi Glace over dat bish and grate fresh horseradish over it. nom nom

I do not understand the desire to turn a cheeseburger into a smorgasbord, rivaling the most excessive Bloody Mary abominations. If I have to retrofit structural support to my handheld sandwich, there's a real problem.

I don't (necessarily) mind having to unhinge my jaw like a particularly hirsute python to take a bite of a very tasty pub style burger, but having to watch an egg, six pieces of bacon, half an avocado, some brisket, five tomatoes, thirty pickles, some pulled pork, an unagi fritter, and BoH Brad's ****ing beard tamer slide out the side is just beyond the pale.

A great smash burger should be wider than tall. A great pub burger should have a patty that's no more than an inch tall, unless we're talking a 1-2 pound monster burger. Cheese, onion, pickle, condiments, bun. That's it. If I want a burger casserole, I'll ****ing ask for it.

For me, Shake Shack is my Gold Standard for fast food burgers in the under-$10 bracket of burger joints with over 100 locations—ideal bun to burger ratio, good beef, right amount of sauce/garnishes. Dig the two iconic condiments of Heinz Ketchup and Tabasco at SS. Also, gotta support the local (NYC) burger chain.

Grabbed this SS burger in Singapore last week—needed a break from Laksa and curry.

Right now in NYC, the Oklahoma Burger is the most hyped—really looking forward to trying one soon.

21734295-837F-4E55-A3E7-D47A0C950FBF.jpg

8913299E-47DE-4930-81B0-440927AE4E12.jpg

A13B09C1-BEAE-44EB-B6C7-1F1287495354.jpg

Back