“Tell him he forgot the potatoes”…

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
I love my local ethnic grocery stores. All of them. Today I got the bug to try to make Jaing jaing noodles - the Korean black bean noodle dish.
I hit up my local Korean grocery store and went about gathering the ingredients. I asked the manager about the bean paste and he steered me in the right direction. As I was paying, the guys dad mumbled something in Korean. The younger gentleman said, “my dad wanted me to tell you that you forgot the potato”

haha. I loved it. he didn’t speak English but my smile, I think he understood me. I was thankful. I told the guy I’m gonna use a sweet potato that I already have. The old man nodded. :). The lady that worked at thus store helped me make Kalbi.

thr Indian store nearby was a similar experience. Old lady went around with me saying, “and you’ll need this….and this”. Goat stew.
I love trying new things and I think people that run these stores are so proud of their dishes.
‘’I am so thankful for the specialty grocery stores. !
im gonna make my noodles tomorrow. Lunch was too exorbitant to eat dinner. My BIL took us out for dim sum.

image.jpg

Boom, I find one of the absolute joys of exploratory cooking is finding the markets and soliciting help with the pantry ingredients. I’ve surprised a fair number of people with what I was looking for over the years. Lots of times I have to google a picture of what I’m after because we don’t have a common language. When that works, it’s the biggest grins I get!

I. started making the Chinese version of this sauce at home from fermented black beans. Douchi. Not familiar with the Korean version but the Chinese recipe I have is easy.

https://omnivorescookbook.com/homemade-black-bean-sauce/

Latest posts

Back