145sc, How does it feel? (plus other questions)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering how 145sc steel feels.

A lot of people say it's one of the, if not the easiest steel they've sharpened (assuming great HT). The only other favorite to sharpen steels I've experienced are both Heiji steels, and both Fujiwara Teruyasu steels (Denka, Maboroshi).

Basically, I was wondering where to go further as a carbon steel sharpening junkie. Shihan and Raquin are on my list. Hinoura was recommended to me, too. Ikeda honyaki gets a lot of hype, too, and I was wondering if the price is an improvement at least steel wise over other options (though with honyaki, yes, we pay for a lot of other stuff).

Best sharpening feeling I've had were on:
Xerxes primus 125sc
Raquin 145sc
Masamoto KS white #2

124SC is a simple and clean carbon steel. So with a good HT it feels really great on stones and takes a great edge. I am very happy with my 195 gyuto from Bryan. The feel on stones is very similar to my white#1 Carter (which is in other respects a very different knife).

124SC is a simple and clean carbon steel. So with a good HT it feels really great on stones and takes a great edge. I am very happy with my 195 gyuto from Bryan. The feel on stones is very similar to my white#1 Carter (which is in other respects a very different knife).

195mm is petty, not gyuto :)

And yes, Raquin HT on this particular steel is top and it is really pleasure to sharpen, i like it very much, pretty hard and on the stones feel super good. Sharpness on reasonable progression of stones is amazing.

You meant 125 SC right?

Latest posts

Back