180mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have couple of knives at the 180 mm length. Petty heiji, santoku ito, shig kasumi gyuto, shig ku santoku, Mazaki petty, hinoura bunka. Got some at 190, 165,150 and 200 and maybe "midrange" would be a better term. I found I like a flatter profile profile less of a true belly. I think its because of the exaggerated motions needed to cut large product. But I love the size for snacks and small meals. Love the heiji petty...honestly love them all.

I thought it would be fun to consider the strengths and weaknesses of the 180. Why do you use in this length? how does it limit you and where is it advantageous? In you kitchen does it earn its space?

I use a Takamura R2 gyuto for doing small amounts of things, mostly more convenient. I use a Fujiwara Kanefusa FKM for chicken butchery, keep a 600-800 grit edge in it for that.

I use a Takamura R2 gyuto for doing small amounts of things, mostly more convenient. I use a Fujiwara Kanefusa FKM for chicken butchery, keep a 600-800 grit edge in it for that.

I have been thing of the Takamura 180. I had the 210 and gave it to my cousin. They are so thin! I have dreamed about it in 180. Seems it would be a great detail knife.

Easier to afford higher quality at 180mm than 270mm, easier to sharpen more easily especially with the flatter profile knives. Nice benefits for those of us with moderate budgets and sharpening skills :)

My wife (and so do all women I know) is using a knife in that range for everything. It is her main knife. A little paring knife in addition and she is happy.

I am sure that outside of our freakish world a 180mm Gyuto is the rule.

Mack.

My wife (and so do all women I know) is using a knife in that range for everything. It is her main knife. A little paring knife in addition and she is happy.
Good to know that your wife enjoying using a decent knife.
My wife prefer a victorinox serrated 150mm over anything else, she once used my carbon steel santoku and just wipe and left it in the drawer, i found out the day after that the steel has turned orangish.. 😭

..... Why do you use in this length? how does it limit you and where is it advantageous? In you kitchen does it earn its space?
That last word is the key, space. I have so little on my counter I can rarely justify setting up a decent size board.

The boards we use most are poly about the size of a dinner plate. They're handy because you can treat them like plates, grab one, use it, toss it in the dishwasher. 180mmm is pretty much the biggest blade you can use.

180 tall petty is getting alot of use here lately.

My wife says 180mm is a perfect fit, not too short, not too long. Fits perfectly inside the rack.

Fits perfectly inside the rack.
TWSS

I use 180mm knives a lot. Rarely have a need for something longer.
I have a TF, LaSeur & UX10. Also have Raquin, Catchside, GS+ & Hiromoto under 200mm.
TF180.JPG

LS Cook.JPG
P1050761.jpg
Raquin.jpg

Last edited:
Back