1k stone hunt

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is TOTALLY different plus dense & heavy. it's a high end stone in the level of choseras.

oh, in the photo the edges have a chunk missing cause i dropped it while carrying it into work :D

king hyper 1000 arrived and it is awesome. its single best trait is completely immune to clogging. it's hard and doesn't dish, good feedback and cuts pretty fast too. it could be slightly faster and feedback could be more silky, but it's right below the sweet spot on those two points and that's perfectly ok as this is a great compromise. i don't think i could ask for much more than what this stone brings to the table in terms of balance of the traits i look for.

i can't believe nobody talks about this stone, i guess cause it's a king people think 'why even bother?'

this will be living in its own dedicated third pan pond happily permasoaking near the sink.

WP_20170124_15_20_10_Pro_zpssxbdnlck.jpg~original

Looks very swarfy! Nice pickup
I'll admit having a King bias as well. So much is written about the dishing of the standard line...but my first one (King Neo 800) should be coming in soon...

Very interesting. Hadn't even heard of it. Your description of the properties/tradeoffs does indeed make it sound pretty ideal for a 1k.

Wow!
So you finally got YOUR 1k ;) .. nice and puhh lucky that only a little bit broke of ! So its a hard stone ;)
Really interesting because really no one had this stone on the radar.
No clogging on a 1k!! Wow thats sick..

I got my own Ai1000 yesterday but i know what i get and wanted it badly ;)

Seeya Daniel!

i liked the king hyper 1k as well but unfortunately sold it when i was looking for splash an goes. did you buy yours as a second now? also, the king hypers come in different hardness, soft and hard. any idea which one you have? has anybody tried the king hyper 2k?

krassi: the unofficial spokesperson for watanabe synthetics. :D i will be trading my ai1000 for a chosera 800 shortly. it's a hell of a stone (ai1000), i just thought it fell a little short on the feedback department but the pure speed more than makes up for it.

yes i found MY 1k, finally!! berko actually helped confirm my suspicions on this hidden gem through PMs, thanks dude. for those reading this thread though, keep in mind i am extremely particular when it comes to stone preferences, i would take my posts with a grain of salt as what i say probably doesnt apply to most of you out there. plus i have yet to try gesshin 1200 or newer JNS 1000 or sigma 1000 (i really dig that it's a black stone, kind of want to try one just because of that lol).

i didnt feel like creating a new account for the buyee site and dealing with translation barriers so got mine new from ebay, took just over 3 weeks for delivery via free shipping. i have the hard version, not a fan of soft stones. the soft version is cheaper also if anybody was interested.

i would take my posts with a grain of salt as what i say probably doesnt apply to most of you out there

yea, i bought an ikkarashi just because of you and didnt like it at all :D then again its a natural stone, and we know they all vary...

i liked the king hyper 1k as well but unfortunately sold it when i was looking for splash an goes. did you buy yours as a second now? also, the king hypers come in different hardness, soft and hard. any idea which one you have? has anybody tried the king hyper 2k?

Answer the question panda, did you buy the soft or the hard? :)

How can you tell what is the regular and what is the hard King Hyper 1K?

Lars

Panda, could you post an ebay link to the hard one, I can only find the soft one...

sorry guys, i just checked my box and it has the white background sticker with black text indicating it is the SOFT version. so now i want to try the standard version!

So the one you linked to is also the soft version? Where is the hard version then? :)

Does anyone know if the one that Chubo carries is the soft or hard one?

The ebay link I posted is standard version. Keep in mind mine is soft version and I love it (I prefer hard stones btw) this is pretty hard stone still..

You can figure out which version because it says 'soft version' on eBay listing also white text box below the "1000" on the box.

I doubt there is much difference, standard probably dishes slower.

Yeah I remember always saying how good ikarashi was on stainless even though I don't own any stainless 😁

The single greatest trait of the hyper is it's resistance to loading, that alone won me over. I'll probably order myself a standard one just out of curiosity.

Oh! i can totally confrim this with Ikarashi and Stainless- especially Standard Solingen Germany Stainless Steel knifes Work awesome on a Ikarashi... It cuts the Steel like a Chainsaw with quick dark Grey swarf..
I got 2 nice ones that are similar but one is finer one is faster.

28159852pq.jpg

Keith, I'm.loving this stone. It's a soaker so it lives in a 3rd pan in a secret spot at work
. I just sharpened my suji today, took 45 seconds.

I'll be doing a comparison with chosera 800 later on.

i remember when i tested this stone (the soft one) it felt awesome and cut fast, but dished rather quickly... has that been your experience so far?

i've only used it a few times, but i don't notice any dishing. then again i use very light pressure and i know you've got a heavy hand :D

Some reason thought it was a S&G. I have a heavy hand too taking the shoulders off the V grinds of Mercers & Victorinox knives. Do that on the Gesshin 600 S&G. I got the large size worn it down about a 1/3 over almost two years. My own trained knives much less pressure.

Howzit Craig been busy working on the house & the yard, garden etc. + 4 days a week at the school.

Back