2 Maintenance Questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam_M

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm still loving my Japanese knives, but have a couple questions:

1. I was prepping a persillade sauce with its multiple acidic ingredients and after 10 or so minutes of chopping, saw a bit of a rust-color to the patina in places. It came off pretty easily with a sponge and baking soda - but what's the best way to handle in general? Should I use a non-reactive knife when prepping a large-ish amount of acidic ingredients? Frequent wipe downs? Just mow through and deal with it after? What is the best way to take the shallow surface rust stains off without wrecking the patina?

2. I've been touching the knife up every couple weeks on an 8k stone (home cook) basically as soon as the initial sharpness wears off - for example if I'm cutting some green onions and as soon as that bottom leaf against the board isn't cut with basically 0 effort. Am I sharpening too frequently (I don't want to grind my nice knife down to nothing in a year)? I don't have a strop, and perhaps that's the solution. If so, suggestions on what to get?

Thanks!

I'd use stainless or stainless clad at the very least, for large amounts of acidic stuff. Or semistainless.

Simple solutions are often the best. I'm actually trying to decide between a short list for a stainless/semi-stainless 210mm gyuto from my last what knife to buy thread.

Any suggestions to get the last little bits of surface rust strains off?

Simple solutions are often the best. I'm actually trying to decide between a short list for a stainless/semi-stainless 210mm gyuto from my last what knife to buy thread.

Don't use the rust removing pads. They just scratch. I recommend 1500 grit silicon carbide powder. Trey (Comet) included a small pot of it with his knives to remove small water marks and patina without affecting the finish. Its works great. Use as a dry powder or mixed with a little oil.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1500-GRIT-...IDE-ROCK-TUMBLING-POLISH-1-2-LB-/351324955094

Just wipe or rinse the knife a little more frequently and you should be fine. And not every "rust" looking color is rust.

Stropping on the 8k is just fine for edge maintenance unless you just want to try a strop.

Just wash with hot soapy water when finished. It takes longer on a home knife to form a strong patina. At work cutting meats and acidic foods patina forms quickly.

Flitz usually works too.

Latest posts

Back