2021 Bucket List

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People here are telling me that basic good-enough sharpening doesn't take very long to learn. I haven't told them yet that I don't quite believe them. Maybe I should just keep quiet about it.

Oops... 🙃

Developing enough proficiency so that the knife is sharper when you finish than it was when you started, does not take long.

You can spend a lifetime getting "better".

Getting an usuba and practicing technique is my next knife move. Would also be cool to get in on the next Dalman group buy. Also want a Shihan. I'm also interested in picking up a jnat. Will have to balance knife purchases with kitchen gadets.

Sell most my knives

Use the crap out of the ones I don't sell
I may sell most of my knives too, after I find a good one. But I'll have to sell mine all as one lot, so that the buyer is actually able to pay what they're worth. (The penny is no longer legal tender in Canada, so in order to be fair, a Canadian selling anything should try to make sure it's worth at least a nickel.) :)

I've been wanting to buy a child's knife for my niece's daughter. Thinking a custom Denka with rounded tip and heel would be appropriate. @lemeneid would approve.

d330506f537c35c482378b6fe64e9981.png

2021: I need to rebuild my life from scratch and find a spot at civil engineering at college, also i have dusted off my gas forge - hopefully i can get a cheap belt grinder so i can start making knives again and practice on making japanese knives.

starting to learn cutting a yellow fin tuna into sushi/sashimi chunks so i can save money and buy whole sale fish.
Getting my body back in shape a little more by longer walks.

And ofc : find a good purpose for owning a Maguro Bocho 45-60 cm blade , simply because of how large clean slices i can get without having to saw too much of the meat :)

All in all this year is about getting well, back on my feet and maybe get my living quarters sorted out :p but that will need to wait post Maguro Bocho (joking, i know i need my place to live more than a blade)

try to wear down, through proper use my 24 cm Yanagiba and 21 cm Deba so i can justify making or buying others ;)

Last years list - with progress comments in blue
  1. use one knife per month to get to know the full in and out of it - Completed - I learnt that I adapt to each knife more than i thought. its a good thing to do if you are unsure about a knife
  2. spend more time sharpening - sort of - still need to work on - I kept buying new knives instead of sharpening old knives
  3. maybe get some more stones - 1k and a synth aoto - Yes and a Natural AOTO
  4. get better at removing the burr on all stones - sort of - still need to work on
  5. work on the bevels/ thinning - working on sharpening first
  6. only buy fully reactive knives - i have too many stainless/stainless clad - Yes and no three fully reactive and four stainless/clad
  7. get 4 leather clad knife racks for storage so i can have all of my knives out. - I got 4 custom racks made by Newham knives in Tasmania (highly recommended)
  8. comment more here and not just watch - sort of - still need to work on

1. Massdrop - Dalmain - in progress
2. A bigger Custom chopping board
3. find a wrought iron knife
4. practice sharpening
5. Organise a Perth based catch up/knife and stone show and tell/test cuts/stone test/beers
6. comment more here

I really just wanna add a French knife to my ranks, but it seems like landing a Puig or Raquin is harder than I thought. That and I need to get a handle on my Munetoshi cleaver...

I want to score a Raquin that's not second hand, and I need to get a nice suji. I have had a Misono dragon suji for about a year that I have beaten the tar out of and I think I might treat myself to an upgrade down the line.

I had the chance to be among the happy people of the dalman draw ... So that's already a good start. In addition to that I spotted a y. Tanaka.
But the main objective is to diversify a little (strict minimum) the use of blades ... I would like to acquire a deba and a honesuki for the moment ... After that we will see for a sujihiki 270. For the moment my 240 gyutos are doing very well.
Ah and like almost everyone here, sell a few knives 😅

Gotta grab another Yanick. That's probably my top priority. Nothing compares so far... the heat treat, grind, steel, balance, weight, everything is just so damn good.

But besides from that, I've been really digging western/ergonomic handles, so trying to diversify the collection with more of those. Either re-handling with western wa's or just trying to find a solid comfy handle build and spine thickness through testing. So far, if I have to stick with a wa, it'll be heart-shaped, and 4-5mm thick spines right at the start where the pinch grip is ideal.

Also fell in love with A2 steel, so probably gonna grab another gyuto from Harbeer over at HSC/// after we finish our current project.

Haven't been around much the past 2 years. Only the occasional quick visit here and thera. I've just been very satisfied with my little collection. So not that much variety needed for this year either.

There's only one little itch that needs to be attended to at some point and that's the same one as I think I mentioned at last years bucket list as well.

And that is Dalman S-grind knife. Which makes me regret a bit that I haven't been around since I missed the massdrop. Would've loved to be a part of that.

mac pro bread

Be careful what you wish for. My wife had to make a surprise trip to the ER last night thanks to the mac pro bread knife. Somehow she sliced deep into her pinkie. Two very important lessons were learned:

1) Keep your damn fingers away from the blade

2) Trying to lecture your wife on the importance of Lesson #1 while she is still bleeding profusely in the kitchen is a terrible rookie mistake.

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Back