225mm Aogami super Gyuto.

Discussion in 'Handiwork Display' started by John N, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Jul 10, 2018 #1

John N

John N

John N

Hello,

This is one I just finished up, the blade is AO super blue, carbon clad. The handle is bog oak with ebony and a stirling silver spacer.

I have been spending quite a bit of time working on grind geometry, and my knives are staring to cut ok now ! (even though the finish on this one is quite agricultural!)

All the best !

John

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jul 10, 2018 #2

John N

John N

John N

not the best pic in the world, but this gives an idea of the grind. It not 'thin thin' this one, but does release quite well.

[​IMG]

3. Jul 11, 2018 #3

MBrock

MBrock

MBrock

Beauty!

4. Jul 11, 2018 #4

chinacats

chinacats

chinacats

Nice knife! I haven't seen many people able to source ao super in the states (can only think of MC) you must have some good comnections. Profile looks nice and my personal tastes fall in line with food release.

5. Jul 11, 2018 #5

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Looking good John. I like handle work and blade profile a lot. Keep posting work that you do.

6. Jul 12, 2018 #6

valgard

valgard

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case) SR. Supporting Member

looks very good!

7. Jul 12, 2018 #7

John N

John N

John N

Thanks for the nice words ! I am in the UK, and the availability of good steel is improving, if you know where to look :)

Ive got a tasty looking bar of Blue2, some pure Ni sheet, and some of the mankest wrought iron ive ever seen, so back to forging soon (I kind of view the grinding and handle making as a necessary evil!).

I was happy with my forge finish a month ago, but now decided it needs improving, so I only have to grind the lower bevel, and there is a sharp transition from ground to forged. The one posted above was forged to finish, but I know I can do better with a bit of practice !

I am shooting for super minimalist at the moment, which seems harder to get right than you would think. The silver spacer on this one was an experiment to break up the bog oak and ebony, which do not look quite right together without a spacer. (my handle construction is 'blind dowel' so it needs to be made in 2 bits) - I am working on a couple which are just bog oak front and back. One with a copper spacer to see how that looks. So many things to try, so little time !!

8. Jul 12, 2018 #8

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

The finish on that knife isn't that far off at all,
    it has a kind of 'inustrial' look to it. ;)

I'd just be a bit concerned about wiping fully clean
    (if its reactive).

9. Jul 12, 2018 #9

John N

John N

John N

Industrial is what I do (im a factory monkey by trade, building forging machines) - Im not to sure about the reactivity of the cladding on this one, as it is 'pre laminated', Its just described as carbon clad super. I have got some stainless clad super which is nice, but it takes a bit of finishing, and I don't like grinding stainless !

I will make my own san mai for the next few I do, and then probably use a bit more of the pre-lam (although it feels like cheating!) - I bought the pre-lam so I could practice forging fully to profile, without having to much time investment in the staring material.

The photo below is a stainless pre-lam 'super' It has a Ni barrier layer, but I think there is still some carbon diffusion from the core into the cladding, I showed this blade to some super knowledgeable bladesmiths, and the consensus was carbon diffusion.

[​IMG]

10. Jul 12, 2018 #10

milkbaby

milkbaby

milkbaby

Well-Known Doofus SR. Supporting Member

It's very beautiful, great job! I like the grind too, not every knife has to be crazy thin behind the edge in my opinion. There are some advantages to a thicker convex edge.

11. Jul 12, 2018 #11

John N

John N

John N

Im still playing around with grinds at the moment, ive built a decent sized horizontal wheel wet grinder which is making things a lot easier. I currently taking them to about .15 mm at the edge from the grind stone, before hand sanding and sharpening, I think this ones a bit too meaty behind the edge, but not by much. Im dialing it in :)

I took a few blades to a 'gathering' earlier this year to get some advice on grind geometry, including the stainless one pictured above. I sought opinion on the blade from a very experienced kitchen knife guy, and he bought it off me on the spot. Nearest Ive got to a win :D

12. Jul 16, 2018 at 10:26 PM #12

John N

John N

John N

Found another couple of blades I had forged and pretty well forgotten about so finished them up on sunday, tried a couple of variations on the dark : dark handles. The all bog oak handle has a copper spacer, and an ebony / bog oak spacerless.

The all bog oak handle blade is wrought / mild & 15n20 damascus cladding over HItachi Blue2.

[​IMG]

13. Jul 16, 2018 at 10:59 PM #13

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

They look really nice. Keep up the good work!