240 Gyuto in White #2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read that Kato also has a private stock of special steel and that Heiji uses a proprietary steel as well.

??? Thread title ???

Am I the only one that seems a bit confused here?

??? Thread title ???

I do not know how confused you are or what about. But the op is interested in white 2- can we agree on that?

Also the two makers I referenced above have been brought up in this thread- agreed?

If you are asking in which thread I read this information- “??? Thread title ???” (I guess that is what that means- so I am confused about something too.) I would tell you that I did quite a bit of research before I bought my Kato and my Heiji’s. I did not read exclusively from this site to come to my conclusions.

If you ask me nicely I will see if I can find it to share.

Hopefully I have helped your confusion. Or maybe you are talking about something other than what you quoted?

I do not know how confused you are or what about. But the op is interested in white 2- can we agree on that?

Also the two makers I referenced above have been brought up in this thread- agreed?

If you are asking in which thread I read this information- “??? Thread title ???” (I guess that is what that means- so I am confused about something too.) I would tell you that I did quite a bit of research before I bought my Kato and my Heiji’s. I did not read exclusively from this site to come to my conclusions.

If you ask me nicely I will see if I can find it to share.

Hopefully I have helped your confusion. Or maybe you are talking about something other than what you quoted?

Easy guys.. Its Friday! :D
I want to know! What was your research conclusion on Kato and Heiji steel?

I was referencing the title/subject of this thread. My point is that the op is looking for a knife specifically in white 2 steel...Heiji doesn't use white steel (his carbon is of the Swedish variety also used by Shig)...kato does but it's not his 'proprietary steel' used in the workhorse...just like the Shig or Kochi's mentioned above...

All great knives mentioned but none are related to this thread though the standard Kato may apply (I just don't have enough interest/background to know it as more than white steel).

Last edited:
??? Thread title ???

IF you actually read the op, he basically is looking for gyutos in new steels he doesn't have.

Has Toyama b2 (so no Watanabe b2)
Has Mario w[2] (so no KS)
Has Y.Ikeda b1 suminigashi (so no b1 Mizuno, no Miz Honyaki because length)
Has Hd2 (also no tool steels, or lasers)
No wide bevels (so no Heji)

So what's left?

If we're narrowing the list to Sanjo makers,
white steel typically doesn't represent
the best they offer.

And Iwasaki isn't so far from white steel that
it really matters (in this context).

PS - shig vs kato debate is above my pay grade

Last edited:
cleancut's house brand knife looks dope.
https://cleancut.se/butik/knivmodeller/kockknivar/kockkniv21_kashima_sanjo-octo-detail
stainless clad white2
choil_sanjo.jpg

my yoshikane white2 is from sanjo and is my favorite heat treat of white steel.. i just wish it was thicker spine and iron clad instead of stainless.
that being said i rather have heiji iwasaki steel if given a choice but in the knife of my choice :D

Last edited:
To be clear- my impression is that Heiji and Kato both use their own steels and NOT white 2. That is what I meant by special and proprietary. My apologies if I was the source of any confusion.

BTW it was the Kato workhorse I researched and believed to be proprietary (and that is what I bought). I have yet to have time to complete my review, but initially it appears that Kato has done some white steel work. #1 or #2 I am not sure yet.

V2 and blue 2 respectively

The V2 ku is one of my favorite knives (I'm due for another)...and likely the reason I always consider V2 one of my favorite steels:)

Last edited:
IF you actually read the op, he basically is looking for gyutos in new steels he doesn't have.

Has Toyama b2 (so no Watanabe b2)
Has Mario w1 (so no KS)
Has Y.Ikeda b1 suminigashi (so no b1 Mizuno, no Miz Honyaki because length)
Has Hd2 (also no tool steels, or lasers)
No wide bevels (so no Heji)

So what's left?

If we're narrowing the list to Sanjo makers,
white steel typically doesn't represent
the best they offer.

And Iwasaki isn't so far from white steel that
it really matters (in this context).

PS - shig vs kato debate is above my pay grade

Thanks for your close reading @HRC_64 !

I have the following knives:

Takeda Gyuto 240 AS
Shiro Kamo Damascus Gyuto 240 AS
Yoshikazu Ikeda Suminagashi Gyuto 210 B1
Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura Gyuto 270 B2
Matsubara Gyuto 240 B2
Toyama Gyuto 270 B2
Carter Funayuki 143 W1
Mario Ingoglia Gyuto differential heat treat 245 W2 Tool Steel
Konosuke HD2 Gyuto 270
Butch Harner Paring 4” XHP

I have nothing in White #2, There are many other steels (beside special Shig and Kato steels, which are likewise above my pay grade) that I do not have, e.g., no PM, no White 3, a true stainless, but I am currently interested in White #2, in part because it is supposed to be relatively easy to sharpen. As I am just learning the stones, I though it would be useful to have such a knife, also ideally meeting the other criteria I set out above.

I appreciate all the input to this thread and the wealth of information made available.

Wakui from Epic Edge is still in the lead.

I'd just grab the Wakui. It's inexpensive as these things go and it's a great knife and great example of W2 craftsmanship.

I'd just grab the Wakui. It's inexpensive as these things go and it's a great knife and great example of W2 craftsmanship.

This.

If you like brawnier blades, this thing fits the bill. The price from AFrames is a f*ckin steal, IMO. I love mine! Love my Mazaki too.

28369535947_765d62ebc5_b.jpg

28369533237_31098159b1_b.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a Murray Carter then you have white 1, same as white 2 but a bit more carbon...I'd not try too hard to get white 3 unless you're looking for an inexpensive honyaki (A-frames).

Also looks like you need some V2!

If you have a Murray Carter then you have white 1, same as white 2 but a bit more carbon...I'd not try too hard to get white 3 unless you're looking for an inexpensive honyaki (A-frames).

Also looks like you need some V2!

The only White 3 I have seen is in the Yoshikazu Ikeda Honyakis. I would buy one of those. Not quite ready yet.

I don't really know what V2 is. What is it and what makes it good?

The only White 3 I have seen is in the Yoshikazu Ikeda Honyakis. I would buy one of those. Not quite ready yet.

I don't really know what V2 is. What is it and what makes it good?

Just imagine a steel that fits between white 2 and Blue 2 and that’s essentially how it performs

This new qoute way is messing me up, anyways @panda +1 dope.

The reason I'd pull the trigger on the Wakui is that it's relatively cheap and I'm sure you could sell it for a reasonably small discount here if you don't like it. The Gengetsu is a nice looking knife but almost 2x the price etc. I mean... I understand, having just gone through this. My solution was to grab the Wakui (and it helped that I live near EpicEdge so I could go look at and handle the thing). Of course... you could always buy 2 or 3 and sell what you don't want :)

I am looking for a medium weight san mai gyuto, about 50 mm high and preferably close to or more than 240 mm long, relatively thin behind the edge, with good distal taper. I do like the KS profile but not the current KS.
I am currently interested in White #2, in part because it is supposed to be relatively easy to sharpen. As I am just learning the stones, I though it would be useful to have such a knife, also ideally meeting the other criteria I set out above.

I appreciate all the input to this thread and the wealth of information made available.

Wakui from Epic Edge is still in the lead.

Even though white 2 is "easy to sharpen" you are going to scuff up some blades as you develop your sharpening technique. Of course I don't know exactly where you are in that progression; but just to have a knife you can sharpen and then dull and sharpen again is good. You really do not want to do this with a knife that has had a lot of man hours invested in the finish because it is likely you will scratch it up learning.

Also consider learning on a petty (150mm or so). Smaller knives will inspire confidence.

Other steels I have found respond well to my sharpening have been R2 and Heiji special stainless. (BTW the two steels he works with are the special stainless and the special Swedish (carbon) http://www.nakayaheiji.co.jp/Index-English.html )

Back