260-270 work gyuto rec

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m in the USA and looking for a Wa Gyuto, but would settle for a Yo Gyuto, right handed in 260mm-270mm length. Stainless, semi stainless or stainless/ ss clad would be ideal with a $400 budget. This would be used in commercial kitchens for chopping, slicing, brunoise vegetables, fast bulk veg prep…work horse type using pinch grip, little push cutting but mostly drawing/back slicing. I use rubber and synthetic boards at work, wood at home and I do sharpen my own.

I’m trying to replace/mimic a 260 Mario gyuto. Great edge retention and ease of sharpening, comfortable, durable, great food release, ease of maintenance, about 230 grams in weight. It's the knife I wouldn’t be afraid to loan because of it's durability, but it's also the best I owned, favorite to use and the one everybody thought was the best looking. The edge was thin enough for me with a decent spine, not a thick spine but it wasn’t laser…masamoto-ish profile. One of those if I was stranded on a deserted island and only had to have one!

Thanks

This is the part where I normally suggest filling out the questionnaire - but you seem to have covered all the bases. Heiiji comes right to mind at that budget. JNS's Intinimonn Stainless clad would save you a couple bucks. JKI Gengetsu is my personal favorite that meets your description though its difficult to catch them in stock.

Suggest you post your same requirements as a WTB ad in the B/S/T forum. You might find a used Gengetsu or Yoshikane stainless clad SKD looking for a new home.

You might also contact Haburn about a knife made to your requirements. He does great work, quick turnaround, though you might have to reach a little deeper into your pocket.

Finally a call to Jon and JKI is always a good use of time.

I'm sure I've left out a lot of good alternatives, someone else will be along shortly.

Good luck in your search.

The Yoshikane SKD gyutos have a mighty geometry and are very easy to live with. One of my favourite makers.

This is a very tough one. I can't really think of anything close that is stainless. The Kurosaki knives have been getting good reviews and there is a line made in R-2 with a wa. That would be worth a look.

Good Luck!

The tanaka ginsanko takes and holds a great toothy edge. The one I bought recently is actually very thin behind the edge. I'll see if I can get a pic if the choil.

Here is a choil shot of my Tanaka Ginsanko. For me this doesn't need thinning. But the handle is pretty bad.

image.jpg

Is the ferrule craxked, and how hard is ginsakano to sharpen

It has a wacky western handle on it. The partial tang is exposed on the top but not on the bottom. I don't find it difficult to sharpen. It doesn't beg for a high grit polished edge at all though. It really is great for an aggressive cutter. I think everything Panda has said is right on. It needs some finishing work and a handle, they just might not need as much thinning time as they used to.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

ginsanko is the closest stainless to carbon i've come across, as in easy as hell to sharpen. the cladding on the other hand is not so fun on the stones. my favorite aspect of the 270 was its edge profile, very good action with a huge flat spot and tip low to the ground. 240 version however is funny in that it is taller and has some belly.

This is the part where I normally suggest filling out the questionnaire - but you seem to have covered all the bases. Heiiji comes right to mind at that budget. JNS's Intinimonn Stainless clad would save you a couple bucks. JKI Gengetsu is my personal favorite that meets your description though its difficult to catch them in stock.

Suggest you post your same requirements as a WTB ad in the B/S/T forum. You might find a used Gengetsu or Yoshikane stainless clad SKD looking for a new home.

You might also contact Haburn about a knife made to your requirements. He does great work, quick turnaround, though you might have to reach a little deeper into your pocket.

Finally a call to Jon and JKI is always a good use of time.

I'm sure I've left out a lot of good alternatives, someone else will be along shortly.

Good luck in your search.

I used to have a 240 Mario and currently am using the 270 Stainless Gesshin Ginga I bought from Daveb, and, IMHO, they're similar in profile, geometry and feel. The Mario I had was a little thicker overall, and a touch beefier, but the profiles are similar, and of all the knives I own, my 270 Gesshin Ginga is the knife that's closest to the 240 Mario I had.

The 270 Gesshin Ginga is noticeably beefier than the 240 Gesshin Ginga and the steel sharpens up really quickly, holds an edge well, and I've had no problems using it as my primary BBQ slicer for pork ribs, brisket, beef ribs. The only quality that it doesn't have is excellent food release; it's OK. But, it's easily within your price range.

And, if a pseudo-Mario is what you're looking for, I think the Heiji isn't a good fit. The Heiji is pretty different than a Mario. I have a 240 Heiji and Gengetsu. The geometry of a Heiji is quite different, and it'll likely be noticeably more blade heavy. Gengetsu is closer to a Mario than a Heiji.

Back