270 mm +- Gyoto recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy y’all.

I’m looking to add a 270 Gyoto or chef knife to my collection for home chef use. I’m partial to Japanese knives and Wa handles, better steels ( love hap40 for ex), but bot sure I want to go all in on this 270 as it’s use may or may not be limited.. most;y because of the length.?

Anyway, I’m all over the shop and looking for ideas from everyone on what you may or may not like. I think I may be open to utilitarian like a Mac or Victorinox, but most of my knives are Japanese makers, many with nicer (non-Magnolia) Wa handles and there is something to be said for aesthetics.

As far as steel goes, again, I’m open to anything from a cost effective molybdenum/ vanadium etc ss to a powdered steel or white or blue paper, but I’m thinking on this purchase price is a higher priority than in many of my others so the super steels are probably out of budget.

Uses may be anything. Until I’ve handled this I’m not really sure. Of course large items like watermelons etc. are a first use case intent - rather than use a yanigaba which is current my longest non-serrated knife, but I’m thinking any larger meats, larger produce like squash (even a horn? - but I’ll probably still brute-force my way through those “rocks” with a softer steel butcher cleaver), all the way down to daily home dinner prep (think carrots, garlic, onions, herbs, meats

Bring on all your ideas! Be gentle in this thread as I realize I’ve offered no real direction but more looking for everyone’s opinions on what larger chef / Gyoto you all like and use as well as of course the why’s.

Thanks!

If you want to find out whether the size is convenient in your case, a cheap but decent one is the carbon Fujiwara Kanefusa FKH for USD 99. With most makes, prices go sky-high with the larger sizes. Not so here.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/products/fujiwara-kanefusa-fkh-series-high-carbon-steel-gyuto-knife

Thanks!

I’m farmilitar with this one actually, only from searches though, but I’m really not liking the Fujiwara as it looks … awkward? I guess I’m really accustomed to a Wa handle for the past decade.. but the price is right and I’m sure I could easily maintain it to be scalpel sharp.

it’s on the watch list and pricing can’t be beat no doubt.

270s are sexier looking that 240s but for me less useful.

I use 270 gyutos instead of suji's for slicing meat. I like the extra weight and stiffness for draw cuts through meat and crispy skin. The height is also useful if I decide to cut skin side down and need give a nice thump on the spine to get through some crusty skin. I've used mazaki (non pointy and pointy) and toyama. I wasn't a huge fan of the 240 toyama but the 270 works amazing as a slicer. They're also really good for slicing zucchini long way for ratatouille byaldi if you're lazy like me and don't like stacking hundreds of rounds.

The weight is the main reason I don't use them more often. For me, anything over 210g is a little cumbersome. It has to be exceptionally well balanced, and I just find myself reaching for slightly lighter knives.

Another option is to try a 250 or 260. I have one or two at that size and I find them a little easier for normal cooking tasks like mincing garlic. I am below average us male height and have tiny hands so ymmv.

In summary, if you're comfortable with a 240, I recommend getting a 270 of similar quality to your 240s. At worse, you've gotten a tall suji :p

Knives and Stones has a 270 Sukenari Ginsan for $250. Nice heat treat, excellent fit and finish, good grind, great value for the price. The only thing is that Sukenaris measure from the handle to the tip, so the edge length is only 262mm. That's plenty long for me. If you want to spend more money, you can upgrade to higher end steels or add the mirror finished damascus (though that gets pricey real quick). But for $250, that's a hell of a knife. My only 270 is a dammy custom KNS ZDP-189 Sukenari and I love it. I also love my vintage 11" K Sabatier, but that's a much different knife than you're looking for.

Knives and Stones has a 270 Sukenari Ginsan for $250. Nice heat treat, excellent fit and finish, good grind, great value for the price. The only thing is that Sukenaris measure from the handle to the tip, so the edge length is only 262mm. That's plenty long for me. If you want to spend more money, you can upgrade to higher end steels or add the mirror finished damascus (though that gets pricey real quick). But for $250, that's a hell of a knife. My only 270 is a dammy custom KNS ZDP-189 Sukenari and I love it. I also love my vintage 11" K Sabatier, but that's a much different knife than you're looking for.
Awesome,

that’s now on the short list. Lus, I like knives and stones as a supplier so there’s that.

Latest posts

Back