270 Sujihiki Toyama or Mazaki Kasumi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unsharp

Reaction score
Looking for a good midrange suji. Mostly will be cutting raw meat and fish, and occasionally cooked protein.

Hmmm. I think both you have mentioned should be great the mazaki is definitely cheaper. I have the toyama 300 mm suji. And it's pretty fantastic. Admittedly I haven't used it a ton, but I've cut some proteins, great cutter. I used it as a 300 mm gyuto a couple of weeks ago to see how it would do. And it performed admirably. Thats when it became a keeper for me. I don't frequently bust out a 300 mm suji, so I was getting itchy about keeping it for a second. But after it performed like it did, while using it insted of a gyuto. I looked at it like now I have a 300 mm suji when I need it and a 300 mm gyuto, basically- kind of.

I have a Toyama kasumi 270 and a Mazaki kasumi 270.
The Toyama is defenetly more refined.
If I could only keep one, that would be the one.

I reeach for it primarely when I want to slice up my coocked protein, for the best looking result.

The Mazaki I use more for the raw stuff.
I know this is what you say will be the primary job, so whats not to like?
- Actually nothing. I do like that it has a bit more "raw" feeling to it.
It kind of suits the job with the uncoocked fish/ meat.

Oh, and one more thing where I reach for the Mazaki: A roast from the grill that has a nice thick crust.
The litte more "raw" feeling of the knife fits perfectly to this task.

I am sure you´ll be happy with either one.
You should probably just ask yourself if you want a very nimble elegant suji or if you prefer a little bit more of a sturdy and and raw feeling knife.
If you are kind of "wham, bang, thank yu ma´m" in the kitchen, then go for the Mazaki.

I hope this gives you an idea of my 2 cents...
Toyama vs Mazaki suji1.png

Toyama vs Mazaki suji2.png

Mazaki on the right
Toyama vs Mazaki suji3.png

Still Mazaki on the right
Toyama vs Mazaki suji4.png

Toyama vs Mazaki suji5.png

I've owned the Toyama and the Mazaki KU, both in 270. I only wanted one suji, so I sold the Maz. However, the decision was more emotional than anything else: My Toyama has been with me for a while and has been used for some memorable meals.

The Mazaki had an excellent grind and the most drastic distal taper. It started at 6mm out of the tang and thinned out to nothing by the tip. Still very stiff throughout.

If money were a consideration, I'd vote Maz.

If you want that little something extra, go for Toyama. There's something special about that knife.

Thanks a ton to both of you for your first hand insight, as well as the photos. Since the Toyama is only $40 more, I'll probably be picking that up. I have a 240 Toyama gyuto I really like. I came across the Mazaki recently from another post, and checking out the profile on JNS the distill taper is rather impressive.

Last edited:
If you are planning to cut mostly raw meat and fish why not a Yanagiba? Nothing puts a smile on my face like a Yanagi cutting through the muscle.
For the coocked meat with crust you can use a gyuto wih ease.

If you are planning to cut mostly raw meat and fish why not a Yanagiba? Nothing puts a smile on my face like a Yanagi cutting through the muscle.
For the coocked meat with crust you can use a gyuto wih ease.

Is a 270 Yanagiba good for cutting boneless raw chicken? I guess even a Suji? I'm using my lowest profile 240mm gyuto's for the task currently.

Even though Yanagiba is intended to be used on raw fish, it cuts any raw protein with ease and it’s a pleasure to use it.
Just make sure your chicken is deboned. You dont want to hit a bone with yangi.

Cutting raw with yani can be done but why?

OP doesn't have a slicer. The more versatile suji would serve him best. Why buy a yani?

Cutting raw with yani can be done but why?

OP doesn't have a slicer. The more versatile suji would serve him best. Why buy a yani?

Because its fun! Don't underestimate fun.
You can slice raw fish with any knife as well, not just a yanagi...

But yes, I agree, I don’t have much to say in regards of OP’s direct question, so my comment is comple off-topic.

Back