300mm Damascus Suji. U.S. Pass-around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a home cook, have no experience with suji's, and have actually never held one in my hand other than a small kikuichi years ago. Nevertheless, I'd like to be in on this simply to be able to hold it in my hand, admire the level of craftsmanship, and trace it for future reference :) Any comments I'd be able to make would probably be monosyllabic, like, oooooooooooooo, aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh and wwwwhhhhhheeeeeeeeee. Should you consider me seriously, I'm smack dab in the middle of North Carolina.

Wow thanks for a great response Guys.
re eschef. I'm really wanting to keep Customs to a minimum on this one, even though I would have loved you to try it. So U.S mainland only.

tgraypots, If your in the market for a Suji and know how to look after it. I'm happy to put you on the list. But you must appreciate its a fair bit of risk for me sending a knife abroad and as such am keeping it fairly limited and trying to get straight down to the business of working feedback/future customers..

Johndoughy glad to have you on board.

1. JohnnyChance
2. Kalaeb
3. SachemAllison
4. SpikeC
5. tk59
6. El Pescador
7. Wildboar
8. Johndoughy
11. Burlsource

Regards postage. Thanks for the tip Dave, i'll remember that. I have made an extra slot for Mark of burl source and he is going to post it back with a burl order. Thanks for agreeing to this Mark as I know you have the postage thing sorted. I'll send it out as a Sample so there won't be any mix up with taxes.
I think I'll send it in a tube. Not a very pretty presentation case but will keep the weight and costs down. Was toying with the idea of making a box for it...but it could get heavy.....
As I say if you are in the uk and would be interested in a future pass around drop me a line so I remember.

After you have your final list, I would also juggle the order to make the most efficient route. If there are any NYC guys on the list, I can hand deliver the knife, much like the TK59/El Pescador socal duo.

All things considered, I'm gonna have to pass. Thanks for the opportunity though.

After you have your final list, I would also juggle the order to make the most efficient route. If there are any NYC guys on the list, I can hand deliver the knife, much like the TK59/El Pescador socal duo.

I'm in the city, when your ready pm me and I'll give you my contact info.
and thanks, son

There is indeed, Thankyou Vertigo. I'm going to reserve number 10 to invite for now. Many thanks Guys.

1. JohnnyChance
2. SachemAllison
3. Kalaeb
4. SpikeC
5. tk59
6. El Pescador
7. Wildboar
8. Johndoughy
9. Vertigo
10. res
11. Burlsource

Final list, if any one else lives near each other and can hand deliver, just let me know and i'l jiggle it a bit more

1. JohnnyChance
2. SachemAllison
3. Kalaeb
4. SpikeC
5. tk59
6. El Pescador
7. J.Brodia
8. Wildboar
9. Johndoughy
10.Vertigo
11.Burlsource

If those who haven't sent me their details can do that please, i'll pop on who has and hasn't. I'll try and get this off next week. Thanks all for signing up and have a great weekend.

Ok bear with me here Guys, here is the list rejigged geographically. Would those who have not sent details please send them. Should be able to get this in the post tomorrow. Exciting looking on the map, its going on quite a journey.:D

Johnny chance details received
Sachem Allison details received
John doughy details received
Tk59
El Pescador
J.Borida details received
Kalaeb
Vertigo details received
Wildboar details received
SpkeC details received
Burlsource details received

I've just given this the chinese 12K and nagura progression. (Playing with my new toys). Followed by chrome ox. I've ditched the micro bevel and just given it a 11/12 degree per side. No box for it I'm afraid. I was hoping to get the leather lady to make a sheath for it. But she is not very clued up about sheaths yet. So will have to work on that one with her for the future. But I will double tape the edge and will be snug and secure inside a cardboard postal tube.

Johnny chance
Sachem Allison
John doughy
Tk59
El Pescador Please send details
J.Borida
Kalaeb
Vertigo
Wildboar
SpkeC
Burlsource

Thats nearly everyone. I'll pop you all an e-mail later so you have my details too. And get this off to Johnny today, before I start fiddling again.:D

Waiting for the feedback from this excitedly, wish I'd been able to try it out before it's journey. Last time I saw it the grind was only half done but even then it just felt like it wanted to cut things.

Sorry Tom. But there will be more. I really enjoy grinding the longer narrower type knife. I really appreciated your input on this knife. So will be able to hold you partly responsible if everyone hates it:D
I posted this today folks......:biggrin:

Lol, happy to take the blame, if it becomes an embarassment i'm happy to take it off your hands so you don't have to see it again :D

IMG_1075.JPG

Arrived today, no problems. More to come, have to go to work now.

Wow. I now see that I didn't really comprehend how long that handle is, haha! Still looks very nice, though. :)

yeah, when I saw the pics I thought "oh that's nice looking"...then I saw it was 300mm...I was like "*** that handle has to be HUGE."

Very cool though. Interesting to see how it balances out.

It a two hander, for mammoth steaks! Probably need a bigger knife for that though. I hovered near the saw for a second, but decided to leave it long, for balance and I liked the look. I'll be interested to hear if it gets in the way at all or causes any problems.

Went to Sachem Allison's restaurant last night to hand over the suji in person.

Thanks very much Johnny, great comparison shots.
Just to update the list Vertigo has had to pull out due to time and timing issues so this is the updated list

Johnny chance
Sachem Allison
John doughy
Tk59
J.Borida
Kalaeb
Wildboar
SpkeC
Burlsource

Thanks very much Johnny, great comparison shots.
Just to update the list Vertigo has had to pull out due to time and timing issues so this is the updated list

Johnny chance
Sachem Allison
John doughy
Tk59
J.Borida
Kalaeb
Wildboar
SpkeC
Burlsource

Pesky lives near TK, I would imagine they would hand this off in person rather than ship it.

Cheers Johnny, So where is the knife? Mr doughy could have it by now.

Johnny chance
Sachem Allison
John doughy
Tk59
El Pescador
J.Borida
Kalaeb
Wildboar
SpkeC
Burlsource

sent it out on tuesday he should either have it or will in a day or so.

Groovy man, do let me know your thoughts when you have time.

swamped this week, cooks on vacation , i might not get you until sunday or tuesday, sorry.

Hope so:D
Son, no worries, I know how it is to be doing everything on your own, hot food/metal. Not that different, apart from the taste.:Ooooh:

Latest posts

Back