300mm Yanagi Rec. kikuchiyo/mosuke?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking about picking up a 300mm yanagi in the coming weeks or months. Just kind of peeking around at the options in the $800-1000 range. I currently have a gesshin hide 240 yanagi and its great but i would like something nice in the 300mm range. I have noticed the hitohira offerings specifically the kikuchiyo / mosuke damascus in blue 1 or white 1. How are nakagawa’s heat treats on blue/white 1 single bevels? Who is mosuke?

what other options would you recommend in this price range? I have seen shig kasumi 300s on bst in this range from time to time, how might those compare? I do like the look of the dammy hitohiras with nice ebony or ziricote handles though over the kasumi/ho. What about pre-owned honyakis in this range?

thanks for any suggestions!

There are MANY yanagi in your price range.
EVERYONE has a favorite, mostly the one they purchased.
The acquisition is a journey and the more you use this type of knife and your skills improve, the longer the blade length you will want.
So emabrk upon the journey, choose what fits your budget and what appeals to you.
Use the knife for awhile and then continue on the journey.
-Richard

Thinking about picking up a 300mm yanagi in the coming weeks or months. Just kind of peeking around at the options in the $800-1000 range. I currently have a gesshin hide 240 yanagi and its great but i would like something nice in the 300mm range. I have noticed the hitohira offerings specifically the kikuchiyo / mosuke damascus in blue 1 or white 1. How are nakagawa’s heat treats on blue/white 1 single bevels? Who is mosuke?

what other options would you recommend in this price range? I have seen shig kasumi 300s on bst in this range from time to time, how might those compare? I do like the look of the dammy hitohiras with nice ebony or ziricote handles though over the kasumi/ho. What about pre-owned honyakis in this range?

So which one did you buy? Or you don't find one yet that you looking for?

Last edited:
If you haven't try honyaki, you can try to get a used honyaki, edge retention is muchhhhh better than aware Yanagiba. nakagawa heat treat Is good. my favourite is Ikeda though.. haven't try nagakawa honyaki yet, only blue one from his master shiraki & blue two from his, I liked his blue two very much.

For honyaki's in the $800-1000 range, you need not buy a used one.

https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...ba-210mm-to-360mm-6-sizes?variant=33427521294

Back