310 knife co.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No experience here just throwing in my two cents... They look nice, there's so many nice looking knives on Instagram that if you threw a virtual rock in any direction there, you'd knock a knifemaker out. :) These are quite attractive knives with good eye appeal in my opinion.

The one quibble I'd have is that I don't prefer the handle scale shape at the choil where it's sharp and pokey at the bottom. To me it doesn't seem like would be the most comfortable in a pinch grip, but not sure. Also the smaller and pointy it is, the weaker it is at that point, less of an issue on a kitchen knife than a hard use chopper, camp knife or other.

20181216_213303.jpg

Looks like these might be monosteel too so kinda interesting esp. with pricing starting at $208 for a 10in guyto. Unfortunately, that looks like the longest they make tho

Dont want to critique just mention precautions. Before pulling the trigger try to figure out if it cuts/if the maker cares/if there's possibility to return if it ends up not for you/disappointment.
From a quick look to me it looked like there are really not much info presented at all.

Dont want to critique just mention precautions. Before pulling the trigger try to figure out if it cuts/if the maker cares/if there's possibility to return if it ends up not for you/disappointment.
From a quick look to me it looked like there are really not much info presented at all.

No about on the website. I had to look at them on Instagram to find out they are in NC, not Los Angeles (310 area code).

5160/52100 damascus sounds interesting. Ive used those steels seperately and like both.

Hey guys, thought I'd make an account and chime in. I am the owner of 310 Knife Co. Yes I'm in Asheville and have been doing this for about 3 years. To answer some questions that have come up here:

Pointy bolster is low enough that it stays out of the way in a pinch grip.

Kitchen knives are full flat grind with a slight distal taper.

Hardness with W2 steel comes in around 63hrc.

I'm not a paid advertiser on here yet, so at this point I cant go into a ton of detail without getting shut down by the admins :p

I'm not a paid advertiser on here yet, so at this point I cant go into a ton of detail without getting shut down by the admins :p
Time to pony up and get properly acquainted. Welcome to the madhouse.

Been following him for a a while. Very nice looking knives

I’ve never used (or seen one) in the flesh.

This is not necessarily about 310 knives but be diligent about who you buy from when it comes to small producers on IG or other popular platforms

Korin, here in NYC instituted a policy of not offering sharpening services to makers they don't know after a knife that might be labelled an Instagram Special (TM) broke on the grind stone (I think it was a major chip repair) and shot across their shop and embedded itself several inches deep into piece of wood. Since it literally could have killed someone, they decided that there were too many knives hitting the market of unknown quality so they just wouldnt take them anymore.

Last edited:
I thought Korin did sharpening in a little booth?
Interesting though.

I'm not sure of the details, just the signage they had posted a while back. The "shop" I meant was the sharpening area (workshop), and their language suggested that the danger these knives posed was to their employees not customers, so I assume they saw it as a near miss for their sharpener.

shot across their shop and embedded itself several inches deep into piece of wood
Hmmm… I suspect that this story may have grown a little in the telling. "Several inches"? You'd have to shoot it with a gun. And, even then, I doubt it would be several inches.

Hmmm… I suspect that this story may have grown a little in the telling.

Totally possible! Not really important.

They stopped because a knife broke and was kicked by the grinding wheel in a way that put staff at risk of serious injury. Won't take small producer's knives that they don't know anymore as a result.

Unless the knife from that story was made by 310, I think it's a bit unfair to post that in this thread. It insinuates things about their quality which may not be true.

Unless the knife from that story was made by 310, I think it's a bit unfair to post that in this thread. It insinuates things about their quality which may not be true.

Added a note to the story to make it clear it's not about 310 knives in particular that's a very reasonable point.

However, warning people about actual physical danger poorly crafted (but visually attractive) knives can put people in seems 100% relevant to this thread. This was also several years ago so maybe some custom makers have made it onto their list of approved producers.

Agree, a knife breaking while sharpening with bits flying off is dangerous, regardless of speed. Someone could lose an eye.

But I would expect an incident such as this to be extremely rare, even with cheap knives.

I'll agree you should be suspect of buying anything online, but I'm also suspect of that story. So with some searching, Here is the link to that story, and its actually on this site. https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...-offering-sharpening-for-custom-knives.25818/

Also as someone who spends ALOT of time grinding knives, I don't know how this guy cut his face, my face is very much clear and above my grinder... And their description of the knife is that the tang was hollow behind the bolster, which I'm guessing the maker drilled holes too close to the blade, where the knife should be its strongest. So from a non advertising, simply stating facts standpoint. 310 knives have no holes drilled forward of the forward most pin hole. The steel is also non explosive, and should not send shrapnel any amount of inches into anything upon normal use and sharpening.

I'll agree you should be suspect of buying anything online, but I'm also suspect of that story. So with some searching, Here is the link to that story, and its actually on this site. https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...-offering-sharpening-for-custom-knives.25818/

Also as someone who spends ALOT of time grinding knives, I don't know how this guy cut his face, my face is very much clear and above my grinder... And their description of the knife is that the tang was hollow behind the bolster, which I'm guessing the maker drilled holes too close to the blade, where the knife should be its strongest. So from a non advertising, simply stating facts standpoint. 310 knives have no holes drilled forward of the forward most pin hole. The steel is also non explosive, and should not send shrapnel any amount of inches into anything upon normal use and sharpening.

Yea I think my recounting of the story was wrong. That post you found certainly undercuts my memory of it, but given that it's directly from Korin it's got to be more accurate than my memory.

I remember when this happened and it was a big-ish deal in the store itself (I used to work a few blocks away and went in frequently). But I think I was wrong earlier.

Back