A "brick" I just bought = Thai Sharpening Stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at my local asian market and couldn't resist picking up this stone for $9.49. It weighs almost 8 lbs, is 10" long x 4" wide 2.25" high. Needs a bit of flattening but not badly all things considered. Does anyone know anything about this kind of stone? What is its grit, does it need soaking for an extended period of time?

TIA

20150406_213431.jpg

There is a Thai guy on facebook that sells natural stones he quarries in Thailand but they don't look anything like this one. The only stones I've been able to find in the Bangkok and Chiang Mai markets and shops are the usual Asian Silicon carbide and Aluminum oxide models. Let me know how it yours works out.

Interesting, and could be a good buy. Just a guess, but looks on the coarse side. Maybe a silica-type stone. Is it sandy hard or soft?

It's pretty hard to the touch doesn't appear super rough to the touch but and obviously pretty dense, I haven't used it yet cause I don't know whether to soak it or spritz it

Hi Gic, that's a great find. Nice to see stones from other countries popping up! If the stone is a little on the dense, compact grain side...I'd try it out with a spritzing of water.

Can't tell from the picture but is the stone a natural?

Just drop some water on it and see how it reacts. Some absorb a lot, and then get enough and work well. Some absorb a lot, and need it, but it is too much and they begin to disintegrate. Some need immediate sealing/lacquering to be used, even mounting, and then they can work. And some just need moderate water and work well. Some absorb very little water, but can provide a good nagura slurry base. The way a stone holds water is one part of what makes it useful or good or not. For example, not so good when you get things going and a stone dries up within a few secs, and then you have to stop and add water.

i don't know whether it is a natural stone or not, how does one tell? I also need to flatten it a bit, it's pretty good but not perfect...

Good question, from what i've experienced should the grain of the stone (usually viewed from the sides) not be absolutely uniform is one sign. Another is when i take a coarse stone (a nagura if you will) and try to get a little slurry going, differing particle sizes and 'flaking' happens if you aren't gentle and will indicate the stone isn't man-made.

however, my observations are based off of Philippine naturals I've encountered, I've also had zero experience with either Japanese, Belgian or any other known naturals for that matter. It's just nice to see a stone out of Thailand, natural or not. Would love to see pics on how your stone does the business.

Thanks for sharing.

i don't know whether it is a natural stone or not, how does one tell? I also need to flatten it a bit, it's pretty good but not perfect...

Looks 100% natural in the photo.

Back