• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

A few collectors stones: (hakka and two nakayamas: gigantic class) Daddy wants some toys

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksie967

No more Ashi
Reaction score
It's X-Mas and this dad needs some cashola for the fam. I've got three boys at home ages 6 and down and momma doesn't work (daycare is too expensive).
Anyhow, my loss is your gain and I hope i've put up a few gems that get some attention.

Prices do not include shipping. Paypal only. I'll ship it however you want to pay for.

1. Nakayama Asagi Tomae - $650 USD

The palest example of tan asagi i've ever had. Not kiita but it wanted to be kiita when she was born. From the top down this stone looks synthetic. From the sides you see some beautiful layering. The back is hand chiseled and very stable and has some really pretty kawa (skin)
This stone is as fine as I like to use for finishing and has wonderful elastic feedback and is smooth as butter. The main layer of the stone is absolutely perfect for quite some thickness. Easy to achieve high-end looking polishes quickly and the edges are long lasting and bitey enough that they have no issue with veggies with skin etc.

Size: Gigantic (will update later maybe)

YUnPZAr.jpg

28J0fUC.jpg

hJb1hZ8.jpg

u44RAp5.jpg

a5xL84H.jpg

BmiE1Dk.jpg

MxleTad.jpg

qQDmJJ2.jpg

NBJPZeO.jpg

Xj7QP6q.jpg

Next up is a monster hakka iromono. $750

This stone has a gorgeous reddish orange color throughout with tan mixed in. Truly a gorgeous and rare example of an Iromono stone and the color explodes when wet.
Does a really excellent job of showing the grain in steel and is as slick as little kid snot on a piece of glass after a sneezing fit.
This is creamier than the other hakkas i've used and finer too. Magical edges that slice through toilet paper/kleenex yet super super toothy. Black swarf comes out immediately and profoundly. Amazing contrast and the core is much brighter than you'd expect from a stone of this hardness.
I'm going to regret this one. This stone has been lacquered.

Size: Gigantic

bNYANpT.jpg

g4n9lNQ.jpg

XLhcJmO.jpg

6a1MTBK.jpg

3HlkGEW.jpg

zGZoA6j.jpg

MvnER43.jpg

Y7tjToC.jpg

EafXehf.jpg

Lastly (maybe) is an enormous nakayama karasu. $800

This is the widest stone i've ever used. You can see from the images (beside an 8X3" stone) that it dwarfs everything it's around. In the pictures it's the stone on the right.
Hardness is a solid 5/5+. If you're not used to using very very hard stones I'd suggest that you use a nagura or diamond plate slurry on it. Edges are best suited for single bevel knives or microbevels on gyuto/santoku/nakiri but the polish is truly impressive if you are patient with it.
You can see that it removes metal well but there's absolutely no stone slurry in that mix. Does an amazing job of bringing out character in cladding. Look in the last two pics for the waves in the iron.

b9S8klM.jpg

iMLhQLI.jpg

pxbWDmL.jpg

kF2BwY5.jpg

RvGWMNG.jpg

wJ7cTu8.jpg

4i6yLXb.jpg

eEcmo7w.jpg

4TJmhQC.jpg

TvZXYH2.jpg

For the love of all that is good, don't sell the Hakka. Future you will thank you

4: Soft Nakayama asagi Nashiji. $400

This thing is ideal hardness for kasumi and a bitey edge.

The nashiji are the heaviest / most loaded i've ever seen on a stone. They're actually kind of orange!
Creamy and muddy but not too soft.

A bit thin and a bit odd shaped but a wicked stone! Very bright core for the softness.

Yw0y5LS.jpg

tKWeDrb.jpg

L4wE3ZK.jpg

pLRJCWD.jpg

PwD45me.jpg

ZWkHWUg.jpg

26si92b.jpg

zYAu39O.jpg

Not to mention food! Bet they can pack it away. This will be my last comment on this thread as I will now avoid it like the plague. GLWS!

Merry Xmas to you too bud :)

I’m getting mad trying to follow the numbers :-/ could you please pm me which stones are available? :)

Thx a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back