A FEW OF MY FAVORITES

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am well aware these photos aren't great. They come to my restaurant, I take a quick photo with my phone and start using them. I have a buddy who I'm trying to get to take some pics. Knives are a very hard thing to photograph correctly. You need some thing to disperse the light. Hope to get some professional photos soon.
Hard to take amazing pics, but not too tough to do decent ones. Simple daylight by a window is fine for most. My pics use a camera with basic on-board flash and a piece of paper for some bouncing. Can be more work than most phone camera shots, but not hard to learn or practice.

Hard to take amazing pics, but not too tough to do decent ones. Simple daylight by a window is fine for most. My pics use a camera with basic on-board flash and a piece of paper for some bouncing. Can be more work than most phone camera shots, but not hard to learn or practice.
Nothing special here, but an example of what a simple setup can do. Camera was handheld with on-board flash, flash was directed using a pretty thick piece of paper (think of a paper cone or funnel, but shape can be varied for different effects) at a white wall just above and behind the knives (just a few cm away). Keep the camera angle just oblique enough to reflect the white wall (imagine the knives as mirrors), rather than a straight-on shot. Light bounces off the wall and the reflection diffuses the light enough to give reasonably nice shadows. If you can't manually crank the flash power up or set the exposure, the resulting picture might be a bit dark, but usually isn't too hard to fix with software.

I know photography isn't really much of a hobby to many folks here, and that's cool, but I thought I'd just throw this out there if anyone wants to experiment without doing the whole light tent or strobist thing.
http://i.imgur.com/YqeXhhn.jpg (link instead of picture since it's not my gallery...sorry for the intrusion!)

Thanks guys. It is some thing I want to look into. I'm tired of all the crappy pictures.

I'm pretty sure someone out there could take a bar of DT's chevron Damascus and make replacement parts for a Canon or Nikon DSLR body in order to jazz up the appearance a bit... Nice dammy lens caps would be pretty cool.

Was this Saltys?

Salty's is damascus, I believe a little longer. 14-16". This looks to be just about the same exact pattern and size as mine, without the hollow grind & hamon and with a mustard patina.

Chuck, you ain't that far from me here in Baltimore and I'm just compelled as all heck to convince the wife to give me a Sunday afternoon off just so I can come down there with my gear and snap some shots of your amazing collection. But you'll have to let me fondle, crap,I mean Handle that Kramer and compare it with some of your other gems.
Just a thought...

Two beautiful san mai's,
Devin Thomas 270 and William Catchside 245
image.jpg

And Marc feel free to come down any time.

Yeah it finally came. I spent 5 hours today on the phone and at the post office. They told me they have no record of it after customs. Basically told me it was lost. Then I got home and it was on my door step. As much as I can't stand USPS they have never completely lost a package. Even if it takes a few extra months. I'm sure I freaked will out pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

image.jpgMy new Bob Kramer 6 in custom damascus came today. It really impressed me. The taper is like nothing I've ever seen, even for a Kramer, and the damascus is very vivid. Photos don't really give it justice. Definitely the best $300 I've ever spent.:wink:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

David,

Looks like we need to plan another dinner at TGP to check out all the new stuff. Maybe a weeknight when it is slower. Of course this offer would be open to any and all. I hope to be able to bring a couple of my new purchases too.

David,

Looks like we need to plan another dinner at TGP to check out all the new stuff. Maybe a weeknight when it is slower. Of course this offer would be open to any and all. I hope to be able to bring a couple of my new purchases too.
Well, we are having our office Christmas dinner there this Thursday night starting at 6:30 pm... I'm sure I can break away from the table for a little bit. Leah will be there as well. I am not offering to bring any of my newer stuff, as I'm not sure the wife has noticed all of it yet :O

David,

Please do I would love to see them and come any time. Just a heads up we are going to be slammed every night until January.

Sometimes it's nice just to start at the beginning of this thread and look through them all again. Amazing collection of beautiful knives!

Charlie, I'm definitely coming down the first week of January. Bringing my camera gear and "kids" to play. Save some prep for me. I'll let you know what day when we get closer. Prob a Tuesday or Wednesday.
Cheers!

I need to get over for a visit too. Perhaps I can bring the wife and kiddos too! Fun for the whole family!

Please come. Let me know before hand though because I don't have most of my knives at work. I'm building cherry display case but it's not quite done yet. I'll bring them in though. Also we are closed on Tuesdays. Mondays are good because it is usually are slowest day.

Everybody shows off their knife collection but not enough people show their stone collection. Here's mine. Way more then I need but damn it I want more.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Back